Video: Vendor explains herself as Thai dual pricing drama simmers

webfact

Video: Vendor explains herself as Thai dual pricing drama simmers

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

The row over a Thai being charged 150 baht for an 80 baht plate of fried pork and basil continued to simmer today.

TNews published a video of the vendor Manee Maitree explaining what had happened when a customer the waiter thought was Chinese was overcharged.

She said that when the mistake was realized they said they would reduce it. But, as was reported earlier, the customer refused saying they had already posted on Facebook.

Manee said she had witnesses to this.

TNews found out that the shop - Bangkok Street Seafood at Neon Market, Pratunam - had pictures hanging up that did not display prices but that the prices were visible on table menus.

Earlier Thai netizens had told news media they felt that all prices should be the same for visitors and locals as the authorities took an interest in the case.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-18

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Earlier Thai netizens had told news media they felt that all prices should be the same for visitors and locals as the authorities took an interest in the case. "

Those pesky (much reviled by certain TVF contributors) "netizens" at it again.

Edited by Enoon

I don’t agree with dual pricing, in fact I hate it and the thinking that lies behind it. 

However, this poor woman has done nothing more than the national parks and other attractions do.

This whole thing is being blown out of proportion, and this woman is being crucified, mainly (I suspect), because the person overcharged was Thai.  

Let her be.

If the authorities really want fair pricing for all, they should clean up their own house first. 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t agree with dual pricing, in fact I hate it and the thinking that lies behind it. 

However, this poor woman has done nothing more than the national parks and other attractions do.

This whole thing is being blown out of proportion, and this woman is being crucified, mainly (I suspect), because the person overcharged was Thai.  

Let her be.

If the authorities really want fair pricing for all, they should clean up their own house first. 

I hate dual pricing but I can accept to pay more in nature parks so Thais can enjoy their own country for a cheaper price then we do. Its their national heritage. I can't accept it for normal companies and businesses. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I hate dual pricing but I can accept to pay more in nature parks so Thais can enjoy their own country for a cheaper price then we do. Its their national heritage. I can't accept it for normal companies and businesses. 

Agree for this activity but not other things like food

1 minute ago, stament said:

Agree for this activity but not other things like food

Yes that was my point.. not for stuff like food and normal commercial services. I can get why natives of a country get discounts on their cultural heritage and others have to pay full price.. but I can't accept it for normal stuff.

The fishing Lake Bungsamram went from bad to worse. First Thai 400 to farang 1000.. then 400 to 2000 now 400 to 4000... they are raving mad. Sure expats can fish there for 400 if they have a Thai drivers license.. but this is just too much of a difference.

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I accept dual pricing for nothing, but the growing hysteria surrounding this case is out of proportion to the offence. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I accept for nothing, but the growing hysteria surrounding this case is out of proportion to the offence. 

It is as it happens a lot and there is never much problems made about it. Though the Thais I have been with are usually surprised appalled by it when they come across it in my company. 

It's not just overcharging,its gross overcharging, at twice the price, surely this must be a crime, but as usual nothing will come of it.

just hope this effects the scammers business, that will hurt her most.

regards worgeordie

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I accept dual pricing for nothing, but the growing hysteria surrounding this case is out of proportion to the offence. 

I disagree, get it out there in the public forum. This crook tried it on and has been caught out, she deserves all the loss of face that is coming her way and hopefully it will deter others following her path, I won't hold my breath though.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

It is as it happens a lot and there is never much problems made about it. Though the Thais I have been with are usually surprised appalled by it when they come across it in my company. 

I know it happens and i hate it. 

However, this woman is not to blame for it and is being persecuted by the media and netizens alike, to a degree that i find hypocritical in the extreme. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

However, this woman is not to blame for it and is being persecuted by the media and netizens alike, to a degree that i find hypocritical in the extreme. 

I agree the online media can whip people into a frenzy and give them a focal point to rally behind. This woman is getting attack for it. Its unfair.. but still if this was done all over the board it would help. 

1 minute ago, kingkenny said:

I disagree, get it out there in the public forum. This crook tried it on and has been caught out, she deserves all the loss of face that is coming her way and hopefully it will deter others following her path, I won't hold my breath though.

I disagree that she is doing anything more than the officially sanctioned dual pricing found elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes that was my point.. not for stuff like food and normal commercial services. I can get why natives of a country get discounts on their cultural heritage and others have to pay full price.. but I can't accept it for normal stuff.

The fishing Lake Bungsamram went from bad to worse. First Thai 400 to farang 1000.. then 400 to 2000 now 400 to 4000... they are raving mad. Sure expats can fish there for 400 if they have a Thai drivers license.. but this is just too much of a difference.

Insane don't fish there  I say 

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Someone needs to be the full guy to deter others and encourage change. Just her bad luck someone posted on social media

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I disagree that she is doing anything more than the officially sanctioned dual pricing found elsewhere. 

Is it sanctioned for private businesses? Can you steer me towards this legislation?

I think it is more a case of people getting away with it so continue the practice, I hope she is embarrassed by this greed.