Video: Selfish Thais slammed by their own people for not getting out of the way of an ambulance

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this?

Someone who thinks he's more important than others passes in Pattaya, and police stop all traffic so that he has free road.

On Sukhumvit at the North Pattaya junction, 500 meter away from the Pattaya - Bangkok hospital, traffic is also halted for that reason.

An ambulance with blaring sirens going direction hospital attempts to cross the traffic lights, because the convoy is still not visible from the junction, when a policeman jumps in front of the ambulance and bangs on the windscreen to prevent the ambulance of travelling to the hospital.

How many of those selfish drivers basking in anonymity behind their tinted windows also have Instagram selfies of themselves at temples, making merit, etc?

In never ceases to amaze me how differently Thais can act when they’re getting credit for something vs when there’s no accountability for their actions. Nothing speaks more to the true character than the way they behave behind a wheel.

12 hours ago, srchino said:

How many of those selfish drivers basking in anonymity behind their tinted windows also have Instagram selfies of themselves at temples, making merit, etc?

In never ceases to amaze me how differently Thais can act when they’re getting credit for something vs when there’s no accountability for their actions. Nothing speaks more to the true character than the way they behave behind a wheel.

So true, so well said !

Angels become devils behind wheel, and I guess it is also because they have to wai and shut up too much in their daily lives: in the west we can say <deleted> to people, important or not, so we do not need to revenge on the road...

22 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Hope no body wrote this as not surprised this happens here and did not read all. UK just the noise of a siren and drivers pull to the left, here life is not worth a pi>> in a bucket, sod them let them die I come first. locals do it in style

This is why I think that when getting old, it is smart to live at walking distance to an hospital !

1 minute ago, FashionExport said:

So true, so well said !

Angels become devils behind wheel, and I guess it is also because they have to wai and shut up too much in their daily lives: in the west we can say <deleted> to people, important or not, so we do not need to revenge on the road...

And, mostly, we can say <deleted> and it's forgotten but many Thais will seek revenge and are quite vindictive because of loss of 'face'.  As for Ambulances they often think 'not my problem' and it's just a cultural norm here over many aspects of life.  I don't find it surprising anymore.

52 minutes ago, Coastrider said:

Dash cam could easy take the plate number...min 5000 baht fine. I think after a few hundred fines the word would get out..get the hell out of the way...just saying.

People who think dash cams are the cure precluding themselves...for a start they only recordoartially and after the event......

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

People who think dash cams are the cure precluding themselves...for a start they only recordoartially and after the event......

Right...splendid observation!

Strangely enough mine recorded in real time..prlor to,during and after the event..but yours may be different and recording  the Pleistocene era..who's to know?

But...ain't it tops that other Thai are finally recording (and commenting ) upon the whole absurd driving thing?

A bit hit and miss I know-but there you go.

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Dash-Cams can act as a preventative measure...  They are becoming more common and once it is widely known that every other car is likely to have a dash-cam drivers will not wish to lose face and curtail their antisocial driving habits - Social Media is a powerful tool. 

Dash-Cam's also record on a loop capturing everything (within the field of view).

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

But...ain't it tops that other Thai are finally recording (and commenting ) upon the whole absurd driving thing?

Agreed - Thailands addiction to social media is a valuable tool here as more and more are commenting on anti-social behavior, particularly on Dash-Cam footage taken on Thailands roads.

The fact that so many Thai's are commenting and the tone of their comments indicates that everyone knows how to drive with consideration of others, but many simply choose not to - its as if a switch is flicked when they get in the car... I call it the "F.U. Switch" and many turn into selfish, careless and often dangerous drivers, these very same drivers are probably lovely people in person but for some reason something changes in a car - The fear of being recorded and becoming the subject of a netizens ridicule and fury must have some impact.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:25 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In downtown Bangkok, ambulances are traveling about all the time with red lights AND sirens blaring, and I don't think I've ever seen ANY vehicle pull over to make way...

I'm trying to think of some exception where someone here DID actually pull over, but can't think of a single instance that I've ever seen. The common response is just to ignore the ambulance altogether.

In BKK ambulances even use speakers to yell to the cars in their way....sometimes the cars even open the window to have discussions with them.

ambulances (with running sirenes) yelling to cardrivers through speakers....Thailand only krab...:passifier:

This type of behaviour stems from the fact that they can only 'express themselves' when in the driving seat, as in general life they are muzzled with no freedom of expression, too much grovelling, too many wai's, etc etc.   

We all know how difficult it is for them to complain about anything that may be wrong with products or service; it has taken several years of me teaching my wife that when things are not right you have to speak up to get her to do the right thing in adverse situations.

When they are driving they are effectively 'free' to do whatever they want and this projects itself through aggressive behaviour, even Road Rage, as to them it's the only time they are in control of what they want to do.

There is also the nonsense they believe that everyone is 'reborn', so why worry about anyone dying in an Ambulance when they will return shortly afterwards, maybe even to a rich family with a Mansion and several Mercedes !

7 hours ago, Thian said:

In BKK ambulances even use speakers to yell to the cars in their way....sometimes the cars even open the window to have discussions with them.

ambulances (with running sirenes) yelling to cardrivers through speakers....Thailand only krab...:passifier:

They have done this in UK too.

E for emergency is one of the 5 Es of road safety.

It has to be remembered that in places like the UK there have been fully coordinated centralised emergency services since WW2 and even before...over 60 years!

In Thailand only 10 years ago you hardly ever saw anything that looked like an ambulance, just some boy racer in a lowered pickup truck....yes! LOWERED!

Even now there is no central system, no effective coordination between police/fire/ambulance and people simply aren't used to being prepared for action in the event of a siren.

In UK top emergency reaction time target is 8 minutes....In Thailand that isn't even on the board. And worse still there is no standard ambulance or level of equipment or paramedic training. If you need an ambulance, what turns up....eventually....is largely pot luck.

In UK they too are having difficulties with emergencies and a lot.of this is down to traffic and traffic management.......of course in Thailand the problems are.multiplied umpteen_fold, but I've seen myself a few examples where with the best will in the world motorists are unable to afford passage to an approaching emergency vehicle.

Some of this may actually be down to the sirens themselves. In EU sirens are specified so that they give directional information to other road users.

Edited by Airbagwill

8 hours ago, Thian said:

Just the other day, I along with others moved with a fair bit of difficulty seeing as how we were all stopped at traffic  out of the way for an ambulance,  as the driver passed thru' the cars  - there was a thank you announced on the speakers.

Living near a Ambulance Station hear in the UK has had it's toll on my front near side tire, but I will always pull over for the emergency services you never know where they are going, I hope one day there will be a story where a Thai driver on his way home never pulled over to let a fire engine pass until he arrived home to find his house burnt down.

Do not think a monetary fine will cure Thai drivers because either they do not have 500B or a 500B  fine is peanuts...

Maybe have them attend a police station for a degrading 4 hour Driver Awareness Course.

Edited by Basil B

31 minutes ago, jerojero said:

And where are the Police to charge the offenders who refuse to yield to the ambulance? THAT is the real problem.

16 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Not really...only a small part of the problem.

Then imagine the changes required just to address that single fraction of the problem and you get an idea how far Thailand has to go before they even begin to address the problem.

Edited by Airbagwill

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

And litter the road with broken down emergency vehicles?

You would think after filming a few "ramming" incidences & broadcasting it during the Thai soap operas, the idiot drivers would get the message & move out of the way. Certain persuasions work for the fire department.

Maybe you might need more convincing. 

main-qimg-1358462aab7789c908ee961b0ce8e813-c.jpg

On ‎18‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 4:55 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its difficult not to 'Thai Bash' when commenting on this thread....  

It could be said that the 'true measure of society is in the behavior of its traffic'...  Thailand is left sorely wanting and this level of selfishness is readily apparent - it really is such a shame. 

A start at least would be placing educational measures on TV at peak times. Teach people that its antisocial not to pull over for emergency vehicles.... so much more can be done and very easily so if only those in positions of decision making power cared enough.....

"It could be said that the 'true measure of society is in the behavior of its traffic"  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, SpicyMeatball said:

You would think after filming a few "ramming" incidences & broadcasting it during the Thai soap operas, the idiot drivers would get the message & move out of the way. Certain persuasions work for the fire department.

Maybe you might need more convincing. 

main-qimg-1358462aab7789c908ee961b0ce8e813-c.jpg

There are several million motourists in. THAILAND, anyone who thinks citing a single incident band proposing violent and dangerous driving, just doesn't understand the problem

14 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

There are several million motourists in. THAILAND, anyone who thinks citing a single incident band proposing violent and dangerous driving, just doesn't understand the problem

Those several million motourists are probably from countries where they know how to "yield" & give way to emergency vehicles. And I doubt all of them are driving automobiles that can block the roads.

Where does it say I am proposing violent & dangerous driving?? You make no sense at all. I think your airbag has deployed one too many times knocking you senseless.

On 1/21/2018 at 12:39 PM, Airbagwill said:

They have done this in UK too.

Do you Thai apologists ever get tired of trying to defend anything negative that happens in Thailand. You would never try to defend things in you home country. Do you want to be a Thai ?