Universities furious over ‘substandard’ ratings

webfact

2 hours ago, Darcula said:

Political Science is not one of them, right?

Thai PM's son cleared of cheating

What do you do for three years on a course like this when it may be dangerous for the lecturers to discuss alternative forms  of government.  How do they explain most countries no longer have a monarchy and the army is told what do do.  What texts do they discuss when even Orwell's 1984 is a dangerous read?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, greeneking said:

What do you do for three years on a course like this when it may be dangerous for the lecturers to discuss alternative forms  of government.  How do they explain most countries no longer have a monarchy and the army is told what do do.  What texts do they discuss when even Orwell's 1984 is a dangerous read?

"Stirring" comments indeed...lol. But you're right.

Given the thousands of substandard high school graduates graduating every year, it is no surprise that these uni programs exist. Make face at all costs and get a worthless degree. This obviously does not apply to the many good degree programs on offer here. There just seems to be an overabundance of poor ones that will accept any student.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The reactions stemmed mainly from the fact that the description was reportedly based on outdated information and also that most the programmes failed just one Ohec criterion by not having enough permanent lecturers required for a programme. 

It’s a fairly major flaw, though. 

No big surprise to see all the Rajabhat universities in that list as they are the general gold standard of uselessness here. Although, surprised to see Prince of Songkla up there and Chiang Mai makes an appearance (even if just the 1 course). Khon Kean is getting snotty as they have a very highly bloated opinion of how utterly fantastic they are and a few of their close piers of similar standing who they compete with have escaped the list (like Kasetsart/SUT/Chula/Mahidol etc.).

Nothing will quite irk a uni rector here as much as being publicly included on a list like this. Bet their offices spontaneously combusted when informed of it...the loss of face. Enemies have been made on both sides of this one and there may well be bad blood between OHEC and the universities involved for a while...haha.  

Try upgrading your standards instead of 'losing face.'  Granted, self-criticism is a farang concept, and Buddha only knows Thais don't want to adopt Western standards, but then again, if you can't clean your own house - don't complain.

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

“Some of our lecturers were furthering their studies during the years Ohec evaluated us,” Khon Kaen University president Assoc Professor Dr Kittichai Triratanasirichai said yesterday. “But now they are back at work.”

Well, you might do OK next time then - if you can keep your lecturers doing their jobs instead of "furthering their studies". However, for this evaluation you were correctly scored down so accept it and improve the situation in time for the next evaluation and you'll get a better rating.

Furthering their studies where.... at another substandard place of further education?

If overseas or away they are hardly available to provide education.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:46 AM, Somtamnication said:

Thais have no idea how good an introspection really is. Sad. 

Yep. The emphasis seems to typically be on "appearance" e.g. face. Fact/ truth/integrity pale by comparison to "saving face." I think it is most intense to those who suffer low self esteem, psychological toughness etc. 

I've encountered a few "educated" individuals and they don't appear able to perform up to the level expressed on their degree e.g. "English teacher" who can not speak/understand English.

Edited by selftaopath
addition

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Orton Rd said:

Everything is sub standard here, why should education be any different?

I disagree..Thailand is still number one around the world at road carnage...give them credit where credit is due..AMUSING THAILAND

On 1/19/2018 at 7:24 AM, JonnyF said:

“Some of our lecturers were furthering their studies during the years Ohec evaluated us,” Khon Kaen University president Assoc Professor Dr Kittichai Triratanasirichai said yesterday. “But now they are back at work.”

Well, you might do OK next time then - if you can keep your lecturers doing their jobs instead of "furthering their studies". However, for this evaluation you were correctly scored down so accept it and improve the situation in time for the next evaluation and you'll get a better rating.

"Furthering their studies" means they lacked the proper degree to teach in a university. Aside from exceptional circumstances, everyone teaching/researching in a university should have a Ph.D. Thai universities routinely hire people without them.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:09 AM, greeneking said:

I guess the same as all useless courses at the unis. Good for recovering from the hangover. Just close your eyes and let them drone. 

On 1/19/2018 at 7:32 AM, webfact said:

Wutisak said some lecturers had retired and his university had to wait about one year for the Budget Bureau to prepare a budget for new lecturers to fill the vacant positions.

In both instances the vacant lecturers are not replaced.....so what is his problem exactly?

Sensitive bunch out here, full of excuses and threats of defamation. 

Comes from the top down

On 1/19/2018 at 7:13 AM, darksidedog said:

Most people and places when facing criticism, try to address the issues to improve their performance. Across the board in Thailand though, whatever office or department, you seem  to just get denials, and the inference that it is outdated and much better now. The truth is the Education system here is really not good at all. I have met many University graduates with the intellectual capacity of a goldfish. Perhaps a little more time addressing problems and a little less spent in denial and face saving, might actually help to improve things. That is the basis of criticism after all, to correct problems,

Sadly one can see this characteristic in play in a much wider field in Thailand than just higher education.The quoted reaction of the Rector of Ramkhamhaeng University was a classic totally preoccupied with justifying failure rather than focusing on how to remedy faults and improve matters.Culturally there is very little willingness to accept responsibility or be accountable.I find this puzzling because I know that the Thais are an intelligent capable people.Is it because many Thais have unusually fragile egos? 

And if you think the higher education sector is the worst at taking responsibility, try dealing with the Thai medical sector when things go wrong.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:24 AM, DavisH said:

Given the thousands of substandard high school graduates graduating every year, it is no surprise that these uni programs exist. Make face at all costs and get a worthless degree. This obviously does not apply to the many good degree programs on offer here. There just seems to be an overabundance of poor ones that will accept any student.

From my observations, Thai and Western work ethic differs greatly. Seems that many think, b/c they experienced culturally, getting a degree/job etc. only requires "name recognition" or payment up front. Many want money for having a degree/job but don't want to do what is typically/rightfully required.

years ago i dated a political science student at ramkamheng uni; never saw her with a text book, she never went to study in the library and never saw her write an essay. 'exams' were multiple choice question papers - the answers to which were available in pamphlets which could be purchased at shops adjoining the university.

to be described as merely 'substandard' is a compliment.

Edited by samsensam
clarity

51 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

The education system is the reason everything is substandard here

Maybe.I think it's more likely however the education system is substandard because it reflects an outdated hierachical structure in society where intellectual curiosity is discouraged.

Maybe.I think it's more likely however the education system is substandard because it reflects an outdated hierachical structure in society where intellectual curiosity is discouraged.

Very true and history lessons all have a ‘rose-tinted’ filter on them. Failure cannot be discussed or learnt from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Very true and history lessons all have a ‘rose-tinted’ filter on them. Failure cannot be discussed or learnt from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the threat of a lese majeste charge being a bit of a hinderance for being to open or honest in discussing history

Another thing I find confounding is where's the "saving face" when one can not perform in their chosen field e.g. an engineering student saying to a potential employer " I'm not very good at math." lol ????? FACE????? Performance/accomplishment is real; face is not.