Chiang Mai To Get 500 Smart Bikes, Known as MOBIKE IN

snoop1130

Chiang Mai To Get 500 Smart Bikes, Known as MOBIKE IN

by CityNews

MOBIKE.jpg

CityNews – Chiang Mai has launched MOBIKE IN – a bike sharing project that will bring 500 smart bikes to Chiang Mai that both locals and tourists can use.

The launch event was held at the Lanna Folklife Museum on January 18, hosted by Puttipong Sirimart, the Deputy Governor of Chiang Mai. The MOBIKE IN project has been sponsored by Advanced Info Service PLC (AIS), who have collaborated with the Tourism Authority Thailand Chiang Mai Office, local universities, public and private sectors. The project promotes non-motorised transportation and supports eco-tourism.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/chiang-mai-get-500-smart-bikes-known-mobike/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-1-19

4 hours ago, clokwise said:

If experience from other cities show us anything, we can expect to see chaotic piles of these bikes scattered around Tapae Gate, plus after six months most of them will have been chucked into the moat or vanished. I'm sure someone somewhere is making money off this scheme.

If experience from other cities shows us anything, the bikes are not free. I don't see anyone chucking one into the moat if they paid for it.

And of course somebody is making money off it. It's called capitalism.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clokwise said:

If experience from other cities show us anything, we can expect to see chaotic piles of these bikes scattered around Tapae Gate, plus after six months most of them will have been chucked into the moat or vanished. I'm sure someone somewhere is making money off this scheme.

Sad too, it is such a great business in China.  Then again so is the use of electric vehicles, high speed rail and massive subway systems. 

I looked up the Mobike’s concept on the Web, and found this useful article that describes the bikes, the cost to use them and other information.  In the event the URL is deleted (I’m not sure of the forum rules when showing a website), simply search for the Wiki article on Mobike.  It lists several details on how the bikes are operated, their pricing structure, rules that must be followed and deficiencies noted in the design and operation. I too doubt these bikes will be a lasting fad, but since the system originated in China and many urban Chinese have established accounts, the bikes may remain popular with tourists from that country moreso than from elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobike

Edited by Fore Man
Improved wording

In the old city you can hire a granny bike @50 baht for 24 hours.

There is a rack set up on Nimanemanere road past the fitness park. This one was blocking the footpath nobody in sight. They look expensive.

Another one was left in front of Wawee coffee again blocking footpath more than 24 hours. They will all disappear or be stolen soon if people don’t return them properly.
IMG_0060.JPG

The public bicycle system works very well in Paris and other cities. But those are meant for the locals and tourists can not hire them.  In Paris people can earn points by moving bicycles from impopular to popular spots. 

The bicycle stands need some space and that is hard to find in a city.  That can also be a problem in Chiang Mai.

In China you use your phone and one of those black and white signature images to release the lock. It's 'owned'. If it's dumped in the moat or sold or whatever, no problem - you pay for the bike. Personal responsibility is a great idea; I don't know why it is rejected by so many.

• 6 months later...

I am unhappy to have 10 to 12 of these things right next to my homes car port.. I think they are an eyesore and a danger on such a narrow soi. I told the company no more than 3 bikes please but the yoga class next door wants as many as possible.. probably just to piss me off. I think they should not be allowed in residential areas.

I was initially stoked to see these as I Bike alot to avoid the mbike police scam then ride my Mbike at night

As I was planning on buying a 2nd hand bike when I return and these seemed perfect--UNTIL I read the reviews on the APP and the COST of using them...I think it was like 40 bt for 15 mins!!!!!.. Seems other users said bikes weren't where the app said they were and as someone said can get a decent used Japanese bike for 50 bt and keep for 24 hrs!!

So yes sadly this will be a train wreck--cool idea but not for LOS--cant wait to see the chinese adding these into the mix of them on Mbikes with #9 helmets and the ones walking in the street--the perfect storm.

Some chinese tourist gets on..jumps off to take a selfie and YOINK--some one hops on it and rides off on it....

I would gladly ride one as they look cool but the rental price compared to other options is way to $$$$$$......  ?

On 1/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, Fore Man said:

I looked up the Mobike’s concept on the Web, and found this useful article that describes the bikes, the cost to use them and other information.  In the event the URL is deleted (I’m not sure of the forum rules when showing a website), simply search for the Wiki article on Mobike.  It lists several details on how the bikes are operated, their pricing structure, rules that must be followed and deficiencies noted in the design and operation. I too doubt these bikes will be a lasting fad, but since the system originated in China and many urban Chinese have established accounts, the bikes may remain popular with tourists from that country moreso than from elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobike

Countdown until the Thai bike rental shops show up in droves to chain the bikes and block anyone from using them!

• Like 1

This is a 7 month old topic that was somehow revived. It's hilarious to read the old predictions of how this will never work. Meanwhile, the bikes are ubiquitous and are used by tourists, locals, and expats. I haven't seen a "pile of bikes" or a bike in the moat yet. I don't understand the comments about the cost and how expensive they are. They're free for short trips! Mobike is one of the two largest bike share companies in the world so get used to them. They'll be here for a long time.

I'm still not convinced these bikes are gonna work out. They may or may not be in the moat, but I've seen them in Doi Saket, Mae Jo, Mae Hia, Hang Dong, San Kampang -  literally everywhere. And (I confess I'm only guessing here) I doubt that the children and grannies I see riding them around are paying 40 Bt for 15 minutes or whatever the rate is.

21 minutes ago, clokwise said:

I'm still not convinced these bikes are gonna work out. They may or may not be in the moat, but I've seen them in Doi Saket, Mae Jo, Mae Hia, Hang Dong, San Kampang -  literally everywhere. And (I confess I'm only guessing here) I doubt that the children and grannies I see riding them around are paying 40 Bt for 15 minutes or whatever the rate is.

If you're seeing them all over, and I am too, then obviously it's working well. Within the city I see dozens of bikes being used every day. btw, the rate is "free for the first 30 minutes".

these bikes are the only way to make mass transit work. It solves the "last mile problem." CM officials would never even try the bus system without the bike-share program. Take the bus, get off at a fixed stop, and use a bike share for the short trip from the stop to home, school, or work. Without the bike-shares, you're stuck with songthiews forever.

Have you actually tried riding one of these Mobiles? I have. They are truly crap. They have a single gear and solid tyres which makes them both uncomfortable and exhausting to ride for just a couple of kms. Definitely only good for a very short journey, and not one with any hills involved.

11 hours ago, el jefe said:

If you're seeing them all over, and I am too, then obviously it's working well. Within the city I see dozens of bikes being used every day. btw, the rate is "free for the first 30 minutes".

these bikes are the only way to make mass transit work. It solves the "last mile problem." CM officials would never even try the bus system without the bike-share program. Take the bus, get off at a fixed stop, and use a bike share for the short trip from the stop to home, school, or work. Without the bike-shares, you're stuck with songthiews forever.

The rate is not free for the first 30 minutes. It is 10 baht for every 30 minutes or fraction of 30 minutes. They also score you based on your use (or misuse) of the bike. If you fall below average (500 points), your rates doubled to 20 baht/30 minutes. If your score drops below 300, your rate goes to 1000 baht/30 minutes.

14 hours ago, bubba said:

The rate is not free for the first 30 minutes. It is 10 baht for every 30 minutes or fraction of 30 minutes. They also score you based on your use (or misuse) of the bike. If you fall below average (500 points), your rates doubled to 20 baht/30 minutes. If your score drops below 300, your rate goes to 1000 baht/30 minutes.

It was free back in March. There was a rating system but I didn't pay attention to it. Obviously it has changed since then. I don't plan to use it more than once or twice a year even though where I live, outside the city, there are at least 3 dockless "stations" nearby. It's good to see that CM has joined the 1,000+ other cities with a bike share program.

20 hours ago, bubba said:

Im mean Im all for trying one but when I read the APP reviews they werent too good with some issues about the wallet and as you state the rates.....since I will ride alot daily I will just buy a 2nd hand one that is all mine....oh well.... ?

And def need good tires that can handle these roads and holes....japanese bike all the way!