Do you think living in Chiang Mai will shorten your lifespan?

music065

10 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Speaking of barking...   

I said "I just really don't give much thought to dying."

And you reply with " if youre worried about dying"

Can you see the disconnect?

Agreed but you can't see your own disconnect by stating strongly that Chiang Mai pollution won't shorten your lifespan but then telling us you wear a face mask ! The topic is not about whether you worry about dying it is about whether or not living in CM will shorten your life.I am pretty sure that statistically it will  for a host of reasons including road accidents pollution alcoholism exotic diseases can't afford healthcare  etc.

Edited by Gruff

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You do realize what an insanely stupid comment this is.  Surely you have a choice as to what you ingest.  Unless someone is forcing a greasy cheeseburger down your throat on a daily basis. 

How ridiculous is your reply, If you really know nothing to this extend, I won't waste my time trying to explain you.

How could Thai know anything when even some foreigners do not know that they are eating the most poisoned food in the world in this country....

9 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Nobody forces anyone to eat Thai food either.

I cook nearly all my own food these days, and it's all western food.

Another champion !

Whatever you cook, whatever vegetables and fruits you eat, NOWHERE in the world you could find products as loaded in pesticides as you can find in Thailand !

And if you dream that imported products are better, keep talking to your friend on this thread, then it's a team of champions !

Edited by FashionExport

27 minutes ago, FashionExport said:

Another champion !

Whatever you cook, whatever vegetables and fruits you eat, NOWHERE in the world you could find products as loaded in pesticides as you can find in Thailand !

And if you dream that imported products are better, keep talking to your friend on this thread, then it's a team of champions !

You can also find pesticide free produce here if that is what you want.  

4 hours ago, Gruff said:

Agreed but you can't see your own disconnect by stating strongly that Chiang Mai pollution won't shorten your lifespan but then telling us you wear a face mask ! The topic is not about whether you worry about dying it is about whether or not living in CM will shorten your life.I am pretty sure that statistically it will  for a host of reasons including road accidents pollution alcoholism exotic diseases can't afford healthcare  etc.

At least I won't be dying of the cold like so many OAPs living in the UK every year.

Surely it depends on one's age?  Cancer from pollution-causes would not be so much of a problem for someone who came to CM at, say, 70, compared to someone who came here at 50.  That's my guess...

Even so, although in my 70s, I get the hell out of CM at the end of January and don't return until end of April.

Yes. Don't consider Pattaya any better than CM. This morning I can not see the water and I am only 1 mile from it. The smog (not burning smoke) has been here for the last three months at least. Worst smog I've seen here in 8 years. At least in CM you know most of the haze is smoke from burning fields.

5 hours ago, Gruff said:

Agreed but you can't see your own disconnect by stating strongly that Chiang Mai pollution won't shorten your lifespan but then telling us you wear a face mask !

Where did I ever say that 'Chiang Mai pollution won't shorten your lifespan?'

If you need to put words into my mouth just to validate your argument, then you've already lost the debate.

I've said that I don't give lifespan a thought!  If you were to ask, I wear a mask for a week or two to prevent temporary breathing issues, not long term ones. Please...  deal with what I say, not what you wish I had said.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Now THAT is a very valid pathway to a longer life. My hat's off to you. As a cigarette smoker who has not smoked in 19 years and 4 months myself, stopping was one of the best decisions I've ever made. A rather large percentage of smokers would like to stop, but don't know the best way to go about it. THERE IS HELP.   Facebook's "Stop Smoking Support AS3"  a free support group, has helped thousands of people get free of cigarettes.  One day at a time.  It works for cigarettes too.

19 years, 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, and 34 minutes :) LOL!

38 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Yes. Don't consider Pattaya any better than CM. This morning I can not see the water and I am only 1 mile from it. The smog (not burning smoke) has been here for the last three months at least. Worst smog I've seen here in 8 years. At least in CM you know most of the haze is smoke from burning fields.

Your comment is not accurate since it has rained many days over that time period in Pattaya.  Depending on the location,  beach towns can see a consistent haze which can be mistaken for smog.

Is there air pollution in Pattaya? Well of course those buses alone create a lot of it.

15 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

19 years, 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, and 34 minutes :) LOL!

Nineteen years, five months, one day, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 32 seconds. 212824 cigarettes not smoked, saving $74,488.41. Time used for better things: 2 years, 1 week, 3 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes.

One day at a time!

Hats off to both of us!  ROTFL!

How ridiculous is your reply, If you really know nothing to this extend, I won't waste my time trying to explain you.
How could Thai know anything when even some foreigners do not know that they are eating the most poisoned food in the world in this country....

What a load of horse hockey

I note FashionExport has recently joined this online parade, and has 28 posts, so that of course makes him/her an expert on all things Thai.

I gotta wonder how long FashionExport has been in T'land.  I'm guessing since 1 Jan 2018.

And i agree with CanThai555, if i only knew what is 'horse hockey'!

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

You can also find pesticide free produce here if that is what you want.  

1 hour ago, FashionExport said:

And dream goes on...

This reminds me of my sister-in-law.

Me: "I like to make my own sausage"

Her: "You shouldn't eat sausage. You never know what's in them."

Me: "I make them myself. I know exactly what is in them."

Her: "No you don't. There are all sorts of things in sausage you don't know about."

3 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

What the hell has how many posts you have got to do with how long you have lived here, this is my 2nd post but I have probably lived here quite some time longer than you.

A pissing contest based on the amount of time one has lived here.

Might I suggest two years here could actually be better than 10 years living here, if in the latter case it is one year's experience repeated 10 times.

11 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Where did I ever say that 'Chiang Mai pollution won't shorten your lifespan?'

If you need to put words into my mouth just to validate your argument, then you've already lost the debate.

I've said that I don't give lifespan a thought!  If you were to ask, I wear a mask for a week or two to prevent temporary breathing issues, not long term ones. Please...  deal with what I say, not what you wish I had said.

Oh dear!  Page 1 your Post 5. In direct response to the OP you say  'Nope at least not by pollution'.  

8 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Oh dear!  Page 1 your Post 5. In direct response to the OP you say  'Nope at least not by pollution'.  

LOL! And THAT is what you mean by " stating strongly that Chiang Mai pollution won't shorten your lifespan."  And certainly not by pollution!  Wow!  As I said, if you need to put words into my mouth, you've already lost the debate.  Enough of you...  Bye.

12 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

At least I won't be dying of the cold like so many OAPs living in the UK every year.

Yes i believe they do and as many have said it is not really about how long you live. It appears that average life expectancy for male in UK is 80 ish now. Are there any 80 year old expats in CM? I guess there must be.

Only if I sit on my ar..se drinking beer or hard booze everyday.  Only if I stop exercising early in the morning and after the sun goes down.  Only if I eat processed and fried foods on a daily basis.  Only if I have unprotected sex with the twinkies.  A heathy mind equals a healthy body.

6 hours ago, idman said:

Only if I sit on my ar..se drinking beer or hard booze everyday.  Only if I stop exercising early in the morning and after the sun goes down.  Only if I eat processed and fried foods on a daily basis.  Only if I have unprotected sex with the twinkies.  A heathy mind equals a healthy body.

Regrettably we all have to equation 'luck' into the meting pot as well.

17 hours ago, idman said:

Sounds like a totally boring life with no fun or adventure.

Up to you.....

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

"If you are worried wear one of those surgical masks"

In the last couple of days I feel like I need something like this?  

gasmask.jpeg.577635421fe5eceb1d36ccad08766f47.jpeg

Really? I can clearly see the mountains on the east side of the valley, and I'm over on the west side of the city right now. In fact, I was trying to get a good video of the sunrise, but it's too clear for  what I was hoping for.

'A healthy mind equals a healthy body'?  Not quite, if you think you are quoting the ancient Roman: Mens sana in corpore sano is a Latin phrase, usually translated as "a healthy mind in a healthy body".

Or maybe this chap “It's widely acknowledged that a healthy body equals a healthy mind,” said Dr Dregan.

Sure a certain relationship between the two, but everyone must define for himself what healthy means. Healthy bodies are much easier to find and keep than the healthy mind. And, IMO, a good mind can live inside a very broken body. 

4 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

'A healthy mind equals a healthy body'?  Not quite, if you think you are quoting the ancient Roman: Mens sana in corpore sano is a Latin phrase, usually translated as "a healthy mind in a healthy body".

Or maybe this chap “It's widely acknowledged that a healthy body equals a healthy mind,” said Dr Dregan.

Sure a certain relationship between the two, but everyone must define for himself what healthy means. Healthy bodies are much easier to find and keep than the healthy mind. And, IMO, a good mind can live inside a very broken body. 

So gym junkies are mentally very well?