Six ‘coloured’ tourists arrested for overstaying visa

rooster59

Six ‘coloured’ tourists arrested for overstaying visa

By The Nation

da9gj5aak8dabg89hcakb.jpg

Police focusing on Bangkok locations where they said “coloured foreigners” are known to stay arrested six people late Friday night for overstaying their visa in what police are calling an operation to crack down on foreign criminals.

The joint operation by tourist police, 191 patrol and special operations police, immigration police and narcotics suppression police was led by Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal, deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau.

About 100 police were dispatched to check 15 locations in Bangkok where they said the targeted group are known to stay.

Surachet told a press conference held at 1.30am Saturday at the Indra Regent Hotel's car park after the operation that police sought criminals involved in romance scams and drugs trafficking.

He said 30 racial minority men and women were taken for questioning, with six found to have overstayed their tourist visa. The rest were later freed.

Surachet did not give details of the nationalities of the six arrested immigrants.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336725

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-20
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, go get those criminals. 

Racial profiling rules man. 

How dare those bastards be black. 

(Shouldn’t be necessary, but: sarcasm alert). 

How dare they be illegals also.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Technical point, is Black a colour ?

Black is a color in absorbtive color spaces.

Black is the absence of color in emmissive color spaces.

So, as a technical point, you need to define your question. To which specific color space are you referring when you ask this?

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

30 were detained on the basis of their colour.

24 were realeased.

Nice use of numbers though. 

The basis on why people are detained does matter. 

Basing it on colour is bigotry. 

Me, I like police action based on evidence, not prejudice. 

30 were questioned, no mention of any, apart from those arrested, being detained

Yes, I know what bigotry is and in this case they had evidence.   Those for which there was no evidence of wrong-doing were released.

Do you think that the 6 overstayers should not have been arrested?

Edited by Just Weird

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

30 were questioned, no mention of any, apart from those arrested, being detained

Yes, I know what bigotry is and in this case they had evidence.   Those for which there was no evidence of wrong-doing were released.

He said 30 racial minority men and women were taken for questioning”

How do you take someone for questioning without detaining them?  

Police action on the basis of colour is not based on evidence, it is action based on rejudice. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Unnecessary sarcasm. Apologies.
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

He said 30 racial minority men and women were taken for questioning”

How do you take someone for questioning without detaining them?  

You walk alongside them?

Sit at their table and join in with their conversations, dropping in the odd question?

Police action on the basis of colour is not based on evidence, it is action based on rejudice. 

When it comes to police enquiries there is a difference between questioning and detaining, as you well know.  24 were questioned and released.  Your implication that detaining suspects for questioning is somehow wrong would result in zero arrests if that idea was ever introduced.

In this case the method was successful and 6 criminals were arrested.  Do you think that they should not have been arrested?

Edited by Just Weird

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

When it comes to police enquiries there is a difference between questioning and detaining, as you well know.  24 were questioned and released.  Your implication that detaining suspects for questioning is somehow wrong would result in zero arrests if that idea was ever introduced.

In this case the method was successful and 6 criminals were arrested.  Do you think that they should not have been arrested?

“He said 30 racial minority men and women were taken for questioning”

That is detaining them. 

please explain how I made the implications you accuse me of making.

I have from the start made clear that policing should be based on evidence, not bigotry and prejudice.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

“He said 30 racial minority men and women were taken for questioning”

That is detaining them. 

please explain how I made the implications you accuse me of making.

I have from the start made clear that policing should be based on evidence, not bigotry and prejudice.  

The implication was very obvious and then you started wriggling.  You do not need it explaining.

It's interesting that you don't seem able to answer the question I asked, though...do you think that the 6 should not have been arrested?