Big C's extended closing hours (2 am)

Hal65

Big C at the Klang location closes at 2am now, and has done so since Nov 16. This is really good for me as I used to have to do my late night shopping at Friendship supermarket which is higher priced.

Is this something they do every high season though? If so, when do they reduce hours back to the normal schedule?

I've never known Friendship to be more expensive than Big C. It's just the opposite. In fact, just about everything I bought at Foodland (and Big C Extra) was cheaper at Friendship, which is why I switched. Although may be we have completely different shopping lists. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I'll give an indication of some things I buy to highlight the difference. Friendship numbers on the left, Big C on the right

Soy milk: 50 / 46 (same item)

Peanuts: 95/kg / 84/kg (not same)

Pumpkin: 60/kg / 16-20/kg (flucuates at big c and makro)

Frozen strawberries: 85/kg / 55/kg (not same)

Baked beans: 39/can / 30/can (not same)

Dry riceberry: 140/kg / 89/kg (not same)

Carrots: 35/kg / 23/kg

Onions: 55/kg / 32/kg

Oats: 51/500g / 50/500g (same)

Raisins: 165/kg / 420/kg (Friendship actually wins on this one).

Dried bananas: 44/300g / 52/300g (Friendship wins this one too).

I recently did a full comparison which is why I have these numbers handy.

6 hours ago, balo said:

Big C is cheaper on most of the locally produced stuff. Imports can be cheaper at Friendship and Tesco.  

Bingo. I buy mostly imported stuff so that would account for my perspective on price benefits at Friendship. This was early last year. I know I'm going to have to do a new price check upon returning to the Pattaya area this month.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Of course BigC is cheaper, but Lotus is often  even cheaper, but these shops are a real dump, and choice of imported products is so ridiculous, that I still prefer bigc.

I hear you, but there is one attraction with Tesco Lotus, the UK imports from Tesco. I buy coffee beans, diferent types of biscuits, chocolate, jam, breakfast cereals etc. Good quality and cheaper than Big C / Friendship imports . But again, it depends what you're looking for.

3 hours ago, balo said:

I hear you, but there is one attraction with Tesco Lotus, the UK imports from Tesco. I buy coffee beans, diferent types of biscuits, chocolate, jam, breakfast cereals etc. Good quality and cheaper than Big C / Friendship imports . But again, it depends what you're looking for.

Even UK imports, so little choice in my opinion.

Please give me examples of what you like and that you cannot find anywhere else ?

23 hours ago, FashionExport said:

Please give me examples of what you like and that you cannot find anywhere else ?

I am not saying you can't  find similar products elsewhere but the prices are cheaper at Tesco 

A couple of examples (prices from memory )

Tesco Coffee beans from South America  250 g, 180 baht  (Thai beans are cheaper but not same quality imo) 

Tesco cereals 159 baht   (up to 100 baht cheaper than Tops/ Friendship / Big C ) 

Tesco Dark chocolate bar (more than 60% cocoa ) big size 65 baht   (cheapest import I found) 

ShotType1_328x328.jpgIDShot_540x540.jpg

IDShot_540x540.jpg

coffee.jpg%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0

Edited by balo

On 23/01/2018 at 8:43 AM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Bingo. I buy mostly imported stuff so that would account for my perspective on price benefits at Friendship. This was early last year. I know I'm going to have to do a new price check upon returning to the Pattaya area this month.

Always buy local and seasonal where ever you are in the world.  Here in Pattaya buy fruit direct from farmers trucks, fresh honey delivered and hard tack ricec etc from communes and cooperatives. Save money and support the people and cut out the global corporate entities poisingbuscwith GMF and killing of small businesses before they raise prices having killed off the independent competition.

Edited by The manic

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

The late night closing is old news to me. Was there with my wife in November and they had posted signs saying they would now be open till 2 AM. Don't think it's just for the high season.

If you read the opener Tony he says that in the first line (Nov 16th)