Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

With all the various Air Quality Indicators/Meters on the market measuring various types of pollution using different measurement methods what indicator for say under Bt2,000 that can be ordered/bought locally would one recommend?

Edited by Pib

3 hours ago, Pib said:

With all the various Air Quality Indicators/Meters on the market measuring various types of pollution using different measurement methods what indicator for say under Bt2,000 that can be ordered/bought locally would one recommend?

This...   Or the same device if also available from Lazada at a comparable price:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

TG, 

Thanks.  I guess with this type of AQI monitor one is only concerned about particulate matter (PM) size of less than 2.5 and 10 versus also other stuff generally used AQI measurement such as O3, NO2, SO2, and SO2.  But I expect measuring all these AQI elements requires multiple instruments and would get costly.  Plus I notice for the AQI rating in Bangkok it's generally only the PM2.5 and PM10 pollution that gets into the red and yellow unhealthy area....the O3, NO2, CO, and SO2 are within healthy/green values. 

image.png.6a2f4fda8e2ebd5284ca30569fc0940f.png

image.png.56f21b6153ba09ff795694552b020606.png

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Today had reading of 10micron/aqi 42 in filtered room with outside air 75-78micron/aqi 160-162.  Not a good day to be breathing Bangkok air.

I think you need a better air purifier or run two of the cheap ones together. I've used a cheaper one from Xiaomi and one three times the price from Sharp, and the HEPA filter needs replacing far less frequently in the Sharp. The Xiaomi is down to 30% after only 3 months while the Sharp is still fine after over a year, so I think investing in a more expensive model is more cost-effective in the long-term.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Today had reading of 10micron/aqi 42 in filtered room with outside air 75-78micron/aqi 160-162.  Not a good day to be breathing Bangkok air.

My bedroom, with my Sharp purifier running on high, is bouncing mostly around 7-8 mcg, and at times up to 10 mcg, this morning with similar readings outside.

It all comes down to a combination of different factors -- the output and cleaning capacity of your purifier, the size of the room, the level of pollution outside, and how much leakage the room has via its doors, windows, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My bedroom, with my Sharp purifier running on high, is bouncing mostly around 7-8 mcg, and at times up to 10 mcg, this morning with similar readings outside.

BTW, indoors in my home in central BKK, I'm getting around 55 mcg in an unfiltered room, which is about 149 AQI, just below the red unhealthy for all level. Not quite as bad as the 150+ and 160+ red/unhealthy for all readings being registered by the public sensors around BKK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, indoors in my home in central BKK, I'm getting around 55 mcg in an unfiltered room, which is about 149 AQI, just below the red unhealthy for all level. Not quite as bad as the 150+ and 160+ red/unhealthy for all readings being registered by the public sensors around BKK.

The sensors you use have a wide margin of error though so your indoor air could be just as bad as what's being picked up by the monitoring stations.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

The sensors you use have a wide margin of error though so your indoor air could be just as bad as what's being picked up by the monitoring stations.

Our monitors are reporting very close to what is being picked up by reporting stations - and much lower readings in filtered air areas.  Was amazing how fast a reading of 10 became 15 when wife used talc on other side of the room.  Have no issue with living at 10 micron or less when outside air is in the 70 range - much better air when filtered.

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Was amazing how fast a reading of 10 became 15 when wife used talc on other side of the room.

I've mentioned this before here re talc. I had a habit for a while of using a small amount of bath powder after showers in a bathroom adjoining our main bedroom. And that was at the time I was first testing and using the Filrete filter sheets on my bedroom air con unit.  And I was surprised at the time how my Filtrete sheets were getting dark colored and clogged up within a week's time of install.

Turned out, it was the bath powder, even though it started out being used in an adjoining room, that was clogging up my air con Filtrete filters. Same thing, it turned out more recently, when I was using an electronic paper shredder in a room with an air purifier. The week I used the shredder, I discovered to my surprise that the newly changed carbon prefilter on my purifier was coated with white paper residue.

In the wake of all that, I've ceased using bath powder/talc indoors, and my air purifiers and air con units are better off for it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Yes as I have the same one and have looked into it. You don't really think your $40 monitor is as accurate as a monitoring station that costs thousands do you?

That's not what I said, nor what you said previously, when you said the Sndway sensor have a "wide margin of error."

Not to mention, the monitoring station sensors are responsible for doing much more than measuring PM2.5, as they have the other pollution elements to monitor as well. Whereas the units we're talking about have one main purpose only, PM2.5.

And I still see nothing to support your claim they have a "wide margin of error" for PM2.5 measuring.

In my case, mine has always tracked the official readings pretty well -- except, mine is located indoors unlike a lot of the outside or roadside PCD sensors, and I happen to live in a quiet area with basically no vehicle or road traffic anywhere close to my home. So those factors probably have something to do with it.

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's not what I said, nor what you said previously, when you said the Sndway sensor have a "wide margin of error."

Not to mention, the monitoring station sensors are responsible for doing much more than measuring PM2.5, as they have the other pollution elements to monitor as well. Whereas the units we're talking about have one main purpose only, PM2.5.

And I still see nothing to support your claim they have a "wide margin of error" for PM2.5 measuring.

Mine too tracks it quite well but you mentioned your indoor air being AQI 149 and the outdoor being 150+ which suggests you think it's extremely accurate. I recall even the Sndway leaflet mentions a +/- 10% margin of error. Do a bit of research on the Plantower sensor that the Sndway uses. It's good but not that good.

Edited by edwardandtubs

On 1/24/2018 at 1:56 AM, Thian said:

Of course the china solution will have effect, do you think all Thai have 2 cars with even and uneven plates?

And how many powerplants are there in the Siam area??

What a nonsense again.....

I recently read an article that said if every vehicle was switched from petrol/deisel to electric overnight they would need 20 new power stations to power them. We are still a long way from electric vehicles taking over. 

Edited by retoohs

1 minute ago, retoohs said:

I recently read an article that said if every vehicle was switched from petrol/deisel to electric overnight they would need 200 new power stations to power them. We are still a long way from electric vehicles taking over

Yeah, if the people switched to bicycles overnight then they would need a lot more food (and they would be in my face a lot more).

If everyone rode bikes to work tomorrow, they would all end up living longer and healthier lives, which would then have a huge detrimental impact on the environment. It seems like only groups like the native americans were able to get this stuff right. It is reverse evolution ????

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, Pib said:

The below Kaiterra egg 2 also gets good reviews.

135067.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 3:27 PM, Pib said:

The below Kaiterra egg 2 also gets good reviews.

135067.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

On 1/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

6,500 baht online, COD. It might take 2-3 weeks to arrive, but that is local enough.

Plus the customs charges and delays. Also, the calibration only works in China and you need an iPhone to operate it fully. And it uses the same Plantower sensor as the much cheaper Sndway and similar products. So overall not a good choice at all.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I have been looking at the readings the past few days, but...

I thought it would not hurt to ask here, how far south of Bangkok do you guys feel you would have to be to have an appreciable lower level of pollution? Samut Prakan, or much further south than that? 

After seeing some recommendations for the SNDWAY model below I ordered it just a few minutes ago at 7:10pm.  It's from Lazada local seller here in Bangkok.  I had bookmarked it a few days ago because it was the best/lowest price from a local (in Thailand) seller but the seller was out of stock at that time.   When I checked at about 7:10pm it showed 4 in stock....after my order it went 3....a few minutes later when i took below snapshot there was only 2 left....then it went to 1 right after I uploaded this snapshot.   It's now 7:22pm...I going to post this...but I expect within a few minutes the last one in stock will be bought.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-pm-25-detector-sensor-i235439672-s361195325.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.690ce2a4LJTmah&search=1

image.png.112d43defd250f53c7d950228725ae10.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

As when checking above item at 8:08pm they are now out of stock again....they sold out fast!  

Edit: But checking again at 8:21pm they now have 3 in stock.   I expect seller is only saying a limited stock is available (like 5 items) in the ad....people see it's a very limited stock....all 5 gets bought quickly since the AQI meters are in short supply right now.  The seller then replenishes the number for sale like saying 3 in stock to keep the buying frenzy going.   He's probably really got a bunch in stock (maybe a couple of dozen) that he's going to piece meal out until his entire stock is gone.

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

I have been looking at the readings the past few days, but...

I thought it would not hurt to ask here, how far south of Bangkok do you guys feel you would have to be to have an appreciable lower level of pollution? Samut Prakan, or much further south than that? 

I decided to exit Bangkok to get some fresh air this week as the pollution forecast was looking dire.

We drove down to Ban Krood and booked into a resort there for 7 days. Me and my wife got sick of wearing a mask all the time in BKK for the last 3 weeks. It's pretty worrying to say the least.

We've been mask free and enjoying a good sea breeze and a pm2.5 of 13 outside.

Driving past Hua Hin you could still see a lot of the similar "smog" that's hanging around in BKK.

So to answer your query, go as far as Ban Krood if you want some fresh air.

Wood

• Like 1