Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

9 hours ago, wood said:

I decided to exit Bangkok to get some fresh air this week as the pollution forecast was looking dire.

We drove down to Ban Krood and booked into a resort there for 7 days. Me and my wife got sick of wearing a mask all the time in BKK for the last 3 weeks. It's pretty worrying to say the least.

We've been mask free and enjoying a good sea breeze and a pm2.5 of 13 outside.

Driving past Hua Hin you could still see a lot of the similar "smog" that's hanging around in BKK.

So to answer your query, go as far as Ban Krood if you want some fresh air.

Wood

You just broke the most important rule of Thaivisa: never mention Ban Krut. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Pib said:

After seeing some recommendations for the SNDWAY model below I ordered it just a few minutes ago at 7:10pm.  It's from Lazada local seller here in Bangkok.  I had bookmarked it a few days ago because it was the best/lowest price from a local (in Thailand) seller but the seller was out of stock at that time.   When I checked at about 7:10pm it showed 4 in stock....after my order it went 3....a few minutes later when i took below snapshot there was only 2 left....then it went to 1 right after I uploaded this snapshot.   It's now 7:22pm...I going to post this...but I expect within a few minutes the last one in stock will be bought.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-pm-25-detector-sensor-i235439672-s361195325.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.690ce2a4LJTmah&search=1

image.png.112d43defd250f53c7d950228725ae10.png

I ordered from that same vendor last Wednesday (January 16th) and it hasn't arrived yet. Please share when your unit arrive.

Maybe my order was lost somewhere in cyberspace. 

Today worst day ever (judging from the view out of my window).

Confirmed by aqicn.com, all is red.

Air4Thai doesn't see any big problem,  bright shiny yellow, breathable air.

It struck me the last couple of days (mornings and nights) that Air4Thai published acceptable or even good air quality when aqicn.com looked much worse (and my subjective impression was not as good as Air4Thai)

39 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Today worst day ever (judging from the view out of my window).

Confirmed by aqicn.com, all is red.

Air4Thai doesn't see any big problem,  bright shiny yellow, breathable air.

It struck me the last couple of days (mornings and nights) that Air4Thai published acceptable or even good air quality when aqicn.com looked much worse (and my subjective impression was not as good as Air4Thai)

The AQICN readings are close to real time, usually an hour or two behind. Same with AirVisual.

The Thai PCD data is reported as the past 24 hour average.

So, even though it's DIRE outside this morning, the the Thai PCD based sites are still reporting a 24 hour average that mostly reflects the relatively good air from YESTERDAY!!!!

That's the problem with the Thai PCD data, and also how it gets used by the Thai news media, who often seem to report it as CURRENT (either for better or worse) when it's basically already out of date by the time they report it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 10.18.49 AM.png

This morning's numbers for BKK are the highest I can recall from the current smog season. It's REALLY bad out there this morning... after not being so bad the past couple days during the daytime.

MASK UP!!!!  And purifiers on HIGH!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

You just broke the most important rule of Thaivisa: never mention Ban Krut. 

Yes, don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

In fact, it such a secret, there's some cracking offers on at the moment.

Let me know if this private message Soilspoil ?? can be published on the forum. 

Cheers.

Wood

Edited by wood

15 hours ago, Pib said:

After seeing some recommendations for the SNDWAY model below I ordered it just a few minutes ago at 7:10pm.  It's from Lazada local seller here in Bangkok.  I had bookmarked it a few days ago because it was the best/lowest price from a local (in Thailand) seller but the seller was out of stock at that time.   When I checked at about 7:10pm it showed 4 in stock....after my order it went 3....a few minutes later when i took below snapshot there was only 2 left....then it went to 1 right after I uploaded this snapshot.   It's now 7:22pm...I going to post this...but I expect within a few minutes the last one in stock will be bought.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-pm-25-detector-sensor-i235439672-s361195325.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.690ce2a4LJTmah&search=1

image.png.112d43defd250f53c7d950228725ae10.png

Sadly, it looks like I got my wires crossed and have ordered the below. It is from China and doesn't look like a "real" SNDWAY.

The link you provided is now sold out. Bad luck I guess. Any idea where to get a SNDWAY?

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i172085377-s307358729.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm=a2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

16 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Sadly, it looks like I got my wires crossed and have ordered the below. It is from China and doesn't look like a "real" SNDWAY.

The link you provided is now sold out. Bad luck I guess. Any idea where to get a SNDWAY?

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i172085377-s307358729.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm=a2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Yea...you ordered a similar model but from China instead of "local/in Thailand." 

When I want to buy something using Lazada I only buy from local sellers with "in-stock" items because I'm willing to pay a little more to get it a lot faster.   

Maybe just follow the local seller I ordered my SNDWAY 825 from....link is listed again below.  The seller seems to have a good reputation/shipping time based on this feedback rating but I'll have to wait and see based on my order made last night.

When I buy stuff from outside of Thailand and willing to wait 2 to 6 weeks to get the stuff I use Ebay....Ebay works good for me.  The great majority of my orders arrive in 2 to 3 weeks to my home in Bangkok.  Heck, very recently I got an item from a Ebay seller in Spain in just 7 days week...but that's an exception in arriving so fast....most orders take around 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.  Tried AliExpress  a couple of times but was "unimpressed" with their service.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I wouldn't worry. There's nothing particularly special about SNDWAY. It's just one of many Chinese manufacturers that put the same Plantower sensor and other generic components into different little plastic boxes. You seem to have ordered basically the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Any idea where to get a SNDWAY?

Sndway has their own company store on AliExpress. Unlike Thailand, it shows they have plenty of stock on hand:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

In the past, using their free shipping, my sensors have arrived in about 2 weeks.

• Like 1

The SNDWAY AliExpress store price is around Bt1525 compared to my Bt1590 local Lazada order for the same model. Makes me feel good I got a good price on this particular model and will hopefully get it in a few days.

Well, I'm finally preparing myself for this Bangkok pollution after living here for over 10 years.  This year seems to be the worst I can remember.  Here in western Bangkok where I live this is really the first year it's became really noticeable due to the rapid growth in this part of Bangkok.  

This morning I got my ten 3M N95 masks within 48 hours of ordering.  Ordered them because I could not find any at drug stores, hardware stores, etc....all sold out at the stores.  Price was Bt347 when I ordered....now Bt355.  Got my SNDWAY 825 Air Quality Indicator on order....and my next buy is some 3M Filtrete filters for my split air cons.   

image.png.8ae20ef883d2564c56cd35906cfe5eba.png

Edited by Pib

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, I'm finally preparing myself for this Bangkok pollution after living here for over 10 years.  This year seems to be the worst I can remember.  Here in western Bangkok where I live this is really the first year it's became really noticeable due to the rapid growth in this part of Bangkok.  

This morning I got my ten 3M N95 masks within 48 hours of ordering.  Ordered them because I could not find any at drug stores, hardware stores, etc....all sold out at the stores.  Price was Bt347 when I ordered....now Bt355.  Got my SNDWAY 825 Air Quality Indicator on order....and my next buy is some 3M Filtrete filters for my split air cons.   

Be careful of buying 3m masks from unofficial sources as there are counterfeit masks around. I bought some from eBay and sent them to 3m UK who confirmed they were fake. Now I get mine from Tesco, Boots or the 3mdelivery website. You can also get them from the official 3m Lazada store, though they seem to have sold out of most.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Be careful of buying 3m masks from unofficial sources as there are counterfeit masks around. I bought some from eBay and sent them to 3m UK who confirmed they were fake. Now I get mine from Tesco, Boots or the 3mdelivery website. You can also get them from the official 3m Lazada store, though they seem to have sold out of most.

Yea...always that possibility when ordering from some online stores.  These arrived in 3M plastic packing just like the originals I've seen in stores (but I can't find in stores right now) and appear to be high quality 3M masks.  I'm as confident as I can be they are real 3M N95 masks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea...always that possibility when ordering from some online stores.  These arrived in 3M plastic packing just like the originals I've seen in stores (but I can't find in stores right now) and appear to be high quality 3M masks.  I'm as confident as I can be they are real 3M N95 masks.

My fake ones also arrived in 3m plastic packing and appeared identical to the originals. The only reason I became suspicious was because I had some definitely authentic ones to compare with and I noticed some subtle differences after using them for a few weeks. Of course the biggest difference is that they're completely ineffective at filtering pm2.5, but 3m had to send them to their laboratory to establish that.

The official 3m flagship store still has these in stock:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.PGBP

Edited by edwardandtubs

Well, whether fake or real, it will only affect my wife who wanted some to wear sometimes....like going into the depths of Bangkok on bad pollution days.  I don't plan to wear any face mask until the pollution is so bad I can't see the Air Quality Indicator at arm's length.  ????

P.S.: I will say when briefly putting on one of the N95 masks you immediately tell the greater filtering power (i..e, harder to breathe thru...breath heat build-up) compared to a typical 10 baht hospital type masks you usually see people wearing.   I would have liked to get some N95 masks with the exhale valve that reliefs back pressure/heat build-up but none were to be found in stores or online when I ordered.   

5 hours ago, Pib said:

I would have liked to get some N95 masks with the exhale valve that reliefs back pressure/heat build-up but none were to be found in stores or online when I ordered.   

69b baht a piece, pack of 10

https://www.3mdelivery.com/3m-particulate-respirator-8822-as-nzs-1716-2003-p2/pd/1763

This model is not U.S. certified, but is UK certified as FFP2, which is close to N95.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_NG/company-mea/all-3m-products/~/3M-Disposable-Respirator-FFP2-Valved-8822/?N=5002385+8709322+8711017+8711405+8720539+8720542+8720774+3294750253&rt=rud

Rec'd the SNDWAY SW825 PM2.5 Detector I ordered off Lazada for Bt1590.   39 hours from order to delivery.

Did a few quick readings inside and outside my home here in western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan)...in large moobaan with lots of trees....nearest major roads (i.e., heavy traffic) are approx 1.5Km away as the crow flies.

Inside my home

image.png.8014c1646b95ea2103dc57e69cb49a07.png

Outside my home

image.png.0ee32774be527237660597487e9aa702.png

From looking at some AQI websites showing current PM2.5 in central Bangkok the PM2.5 in central Bangkok right now is around 70.  So, at least my little part of western Bangkok is a little less polluted than central Bangkok.

I plan to carry my new meter around different places in metro Bangkok over the coming week to get a sense of where the pollution is the worst.  Like is it significantly worst close to a major road (I would expect so)....hopefully less in away from major roads...etc.  

Next step is buy some 3M Filtrete filters for my home wall mounted A/Cs....see how much that lowers the "inside" PM2.5 level.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

I came to your realization some years ago. I remember being in Bkk for the first time over 20 years ago, and encountering a young tourist who was in a right state, determined to leave as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Rec'd the SNDWAY SW825 PM2.5 Detector I ordered off Lazada for Bt1590.   39 hours from order to delivery.

Did a few quick readings inside and outside my home here in western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan)...in large moobaan with lots of trees....nearest major roads (i.e., heavy traffic) are approx 1.5Km away as the crow flies.

Inside my home

image.png.8014c1646b95ea2103dc57e69cb49a07.png

Outside my home

image.png.0ee32774be527237660597487e9aa702.png

From looking at some AQI websites showing current PM2.5 in central Bangkok the PM2.5 in central Bangkok right now is around 70.  So, at least my little part of western Bangkok is a little less polluted than central Bangkok.

I plan to carry my new meter around different places in metro Bangkok over the coming week to get a sense of where the pollution is the worst.  Like is it significantly worst close to a major road (I would expect so)....hopefully less in away from major roads...etc.  

Next step is buy some 3M Filtrete filters for my home wall mounted A/Cs....see how much that lowers the "inside" PM2.5 level.

Above readings were around 11am this morning. 

Now at 3pm the indoor and outdoor PM2.5 pollution is less....see below.  So, I have now decided to sleep in to around 3pm daily which should improve my health.

Inside my home

image.png.b34d85756a3ddbb5b93576f8ffbfb7c7.png

Outside my home

image.png.4430bb2d07bcba5347f7c487a7d87f1e.png

@Pib
Can you see what reading you get after running an aircon (just normal filters) for a few hours...

in my bedroom my reading goes down to as low as 6-9 just by running the aircon overnight,after opening the door and window it goes up quite quickly to (usually) about 40 but I've seen as high as 117...which as you observed decreased as the day wore on.

54 minutes ago, johng said:

@Pib
Can you see what reading you get after running an aircon (just normal filters) for a few hours...

in my bedroom my reading goes down to as low as 6-9 just by running the aircon overnight,after opening the door and window it goes up quite quickly to (usually) about 40 but I've seen as high as 117...which as you observed decreased as the day wore on.

The inside my home readings were with A/C running....A/C runs 24/7 but I only use an A/C temp setting of 26C and the A/C cools a large area which results in various places around the big area being cooled a little above or below 26C.  Where I took the indoor readings the dectector was on a table top getting lot of sunlight so its a little warmer than 26C.

I haven't done a bedroom check yet.  Only run the A/C at night in the bedroom....will be checking that tonight.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

You guys should invest in an air purifier. Aircon alone and even with filtrete sheets is not very effective on days of heavy pollution and the filtrete sheets need to be replaced so often they are not cost effective anyway. Remember, the WHO recommend average exposure over the whole year of less than 10 micrograms per cubic metre of pm2.5.

• Like 2