Food For Foreigners new shop open!

xylophone

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/03/2018 at 4:47 PM, madmitch said:

Perhaps I shouldn't mention it on this thread as it's a rival store, but I was very impressed with the range of frozen foods currently on offer at Villa in Chalong. A major improvement on what they had before, including a whole load of products from Iceland (the store, that is, not the country, for those of you with a hankering for whale-meat!).

However, like Food For Foreigners, very British orientated.

Looking forward to kippers for breakfast tomorrow.

Did you get kippers? if so how are/where they? 

Would love some smoked haddock :) 

45 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Actually paid this place a vist yesterday to stock up on  a few things, was pleasantly surprised. 

Yeah I may have to go again for a Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding or two, but will stay away from the Liquorice Allsorts as I can't stop eating the buggers!

On 08/03/2018 at 2:00 PM, madmitch said:

Yes. They were.Young's kippers but I can't remember exactly which freezer cabinet they were in. Sorry. I hope they haven't all been snapped up.

Kippers or Snapper!!:sorry:

2 hours ago, Tapster said:

I got some kippers there last Friday. There were loads. They weren't branded.

Only had to warm them up and eat.

They were unusually salty, but a great taste after a long time away!!

i knew i bloody forgot something

• 3 weeks later...

Visited FFF last Sunday and also went into Villa Market, so really got the best of both worlds.

I did notice in Villa Market that they had the very same Fray Bentos small steak and kidney puddings as FFF, but these were priced at 185 baht, whereas they were 139 baht in FFF, so I hung on and bought them there, along with some mushy peas.

Had one of them for dinner that night and have become hooked (especially with the mushy peas added in) so I will pay another visit in the coming week and stock up on goodies ready for Songkran.

A couple of things to note: – I went on Sunday and the traffic was extremely light and there was absolutely no problem in getting to either place, or in getting back for that matter.

The second thing is that FFF now stocks some wine and some of it looked okay, but the main good news as regards wine is that Villa Market have reduced the price of their "Hopes End" red wine to about 460 baht a bottle and that has to be the best value of any red wine around at the moment, because it really is good (IMO).

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I was there last Sunday morning. I only go on Sundays to miss the traffic. 

Yes, I buy some items there that are significantly cheaper than Villa Market. 

"I was there last Sunday morning. I only go on Sundays to miss the traffic. "

Please keep it up, both you and everybody else doping the same. Unless coming from Chao Fa West, no problems at all at the circle last weeks.

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 9:01 AM, xylophone said:

As stated in my original post................So where is it? It is south of the Chalong circle (the traffic around which was very reasonable this morning) about a kilometre or two down on the left-hand side in a group of offices and shops called Fisherman's Way 2.

In the same Fishermans Way as the Eire (Irish) Consuls office.

Cool. Right near my favorite Gluten Free Bakery. Shopping in one stop

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, killerbeez said:

Do they have a website?

Do they deliver outside Phuket?

Do they have a price list?

They have a page in Facebook, where you can message them.   Shaun, the owner, is very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 4:47 AM, killerbeez said:

Do they have a website?

Do they deliver outside Phuket?

Do they have a price list?

Yes, yes, and yes.  pagallim has kindly given you the 1st and 3rd.  A little info about delivery:  They use Kerry express with a postage/ packing fee added to the bill.  They pack it with dry ice.  I have just got an order from them and this is my only gripe as  I could see from the tracking info that the parcels sat in their logistics centre in Samut Sakhon for 24 hours.  (receipt by kerry to delivery took 45 hours). In fairness this is the advertised delivery schedule and the person I was dealing with did tell me that the items may not be completely frozen on arrival, but I decided to give it a go anyway.  True to form they weren't, so I'm sitting on a bunch of stuff some of which I've had to refreeze after it has started to thaw, which I'm not very confident about.  If they could do next day delivery I don't think there would be any problem.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FFFFoodForForeigners/

latest price list as of 24/5: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15tNnnoEYK7iUXuvD6xzjhEzEoy0pbrC_/view?fbclid=IwAR3dNQFRHrOB-i_8YUBN-VAcf6Xy7uP062yo3wB1pdGx7kihKVcVwX88QM8

16 minutes ago, Slip said:

Yes, yes, and yes.  pagallim has kindly given you the 1st and 3rd.  A little info about delivery:  They use Kerry express with a postage/ packing fee added to the bill.  They pack it with dry ice.  I have just got an order from them and this is my only gripe as  I could see from the tracking info that the parcels sat in their logistics centre in Samut Sakhon for 24 hours.  (receipt by kerry to delivery took 45 hours). In fairness this is the advertised delivery schedule and the person I was dealing with did tell me that the items may not be completely frozen on arrival, but I decided to give it a go anyway.  True to form they weren't, so I'm sitting on a bunch of stuff some of which I've had to refreeze after it has started to thaw, which I'm not very confident about.  If they could do next day delivery I don't think there would be any problem.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FFFFoodForForeigners/

latest price list as of 24/5: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15tNnnoEYK7iUXuvD6xzjhEzEoy0pbrC_/view?fbclid=IwAR3dNQFRHrOB-i_8YUBN-VAcf6Xy7uP062yo3wB1pdGx7kihKVcVwX88QM8

The risk to re-freezing is simply in loss of quality not food safety

1 hour ago, Slip said:

I'm sitting on a bunch of stuff some of which I've had to refreeze after it has started to thaw, which I'm not very confident about. 

@eezergood

I agree completely.

Assuming the frozen food is sealed in packaging, no bacteria will get into the food.

The amount of bacteria in the food when it was packed should be small, and the amount of time the bacteria have to warm up and start to multiply while the food is partially thawing, is not long.

Most bacteria are inactive below approx 4 degrees Celsius.

Given that the food will eventually be thawed and heated to a temperature that kills all the bacteria in it, there is very little reason to be worried about partial thawing of hermetically-sealed food packets, which are put back in a freezer ASAP.

????

6 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@eezergood

I agree completely.

Assuming the frozen food is sealed in packaging, no bacteria will get into the food.

The amount of bacteria in the food when it was packed should be small, and the amount of time the bacteria have to warm up and start to multiply while the food is partially thawing, is not long.

Most bacteria are inactive below approx 4 degrees Celsius.

Given that the food will eventually be thawed and heated to a temperature that kills all the bacteria in it, there is very little reason to be worried about partial thawing of hermetically-sealed food packets, which are put back in a freezer ASAP.

????

Thanks to both you and Eezergood for putting my mind at rest.  I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it. 

Archived