Bee Swarming Help & Advice Needed

tomdfc

As of yesterday, up here in Sansai we are now home to a swarming colony of bees.  They're perched on the top of our garden wall and very active as the day heats up.  I googled for info and think this may be a temporary stop before they move on to a new nesting site, but maybe not.  In any case they might move to a new home under our shingles which could be worse.   I don't want to kill them just send them on their way.  Does anyone have a contact for a "bee man" or bee removal company?  Thanks in advance.

The swarm will move on in time.  Ours stayed 5 weeks, but the location was optimal for bees.  Normally they will stay 2-3 weeks.  Please do not spray them - they are rapidly becoming an endangered species here.

Bees.thumb.JPG.ccac9f7c517bdf0f7fe4b02736334d41.JPG

Edited by Rotweiler

I think hornets are large.  These are small bees as far as I can gather. 

(That said, last year I was stung many times over 3 days by very small wasps and couldn't work out where they were coming from - the nest was on the underside of a big frangipani leaf and invisible until turned over.  The stings were as sore as any I can remember getting.  Broke a finger trying to swat them off.  Sometimes size doesn't matter.)

Pic attached.

DSC02733.JPG

either let them stay or find a beekeeper. A beekeeper can come and remove the queen bee to a new hive... They'll follow the queen bee. As long as the queen bee is there, they won't move. Don't aggravate them, you're just asking for trouble.

Had a swarm size of a sofa land on out Bodhi tree about 2 weeks ago. Was going to call in the local bee guy but they left the following day.

The tree also seems to be a major short term stopover for birds during their bi-annual? migration. 1508537.GIF

When bees swarm they are engorged with honey and cannot (generally) sting . Create a smoker of some sort and engulf them with dry/cool grass smoke. The queen is inside the group. Have a  a temporary cardboard box  and a lid. Take off the lid and place below the swarm. Give the swarm a single hard downward 'dump' and they will fall en mass into the box, literally like raisins. Cover the lid . Move to a new location and remove lid off the box. They will eventually leave. If you are a little apprehensive put on a large round hat and drape some mosquito netting around yourself, being sure to tuck it into your pants. They are not dangerous at this point. remember lots of smoke first. I have known people to do this naked except where hair may trap an errant bee. I tend to use a bit of mosquito netting around a broad brimmed hat and bare hands. Quite exciting to do.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, tomdfc said:

I think hornets are large.  These are small bees as far as I can gather. 

(That said, last year I was stung many times over 3 days by very small wasps and couldn't work out where they were coming from - the nest was on the underside of a big frangipani leaf and invisible until turned over.  The stings were as sore as any I can remember getting.  Broke a finger trying to swat them off.  Sometimes size doesn't matter.)

Pic attached.

DSC02733.JPG

The smallest have the worst stings- hornets, ants, scorpions etc.

I had hornets take up residence in a box in the carport. I sprayed them which wasn't a good idea- broke world sprint record to inside house.

At night I sealed all the holes in the box and then sprayed them.

22 hours ago, Teak said:

When bees swarm they are engorged with honey and cannot (generally) sting . Create a smoker of some sort and engulf them with dry/cool grass smoke. The queen is inside the group. Have a  a temporary cardboard box  and a lid. Take off the lid and place below the swarm. Give the swarm a single hard downward 'dump' and they will fall en mass into the box, literally like raisins. Cover the lid . Move to a new location and remove lid off the box. They will eventually leave. If you are a little apprehensive put on a large round hat and drape some mosquito netting around yourself, being sure to tuck it into your pants. They are not dangerous at this point. remember lots of smoke first. I have known people to do this naked except where hair may trap an errant bee. I tend to use a bit of mosquito netting around a broad brimmed hat and bare hands. Quite exciting to do.

I knew about putting swarms in a box for removal, and smoking them, but I never knew about them being loaded with honey. Makes sense though.

Thanks.