Line Mobile Internet Packages Unlimited

BuffaloRescue

Hi

https://th.linemobile.com/en/select_numbers

I am having trouble installing Fibre to my condo since I have built in cabinets and I dont want to run ugly wires everywhere.

I was looking at the unlimited plan from Line. How would this compare to Fiber? I could get a pocket wifi device and use that to share this 4g connection?

Is it REALLY unlimited? Can I watch Netflix and play online games with it as much as I want without my service being slowed or disrupted?

Why don't you want to use a Wifi router.  The fiber internet line comes through the wall at one point just enough to connect to the provided Wifi router....then you have wireless internet throughout your condo.

A previous ThaiVisa thread about LINE Mobile Packages can be found here:

LINE Mobile packages
By Maestro, January 9 in Mobile devices 

On 1/14/2018 at 10:44 PM, naboo said:

Been with them nearly a month. 

[...]

All my customer support (so far) has been online though their web chat support. 170B (181B inc VAT) for 5GB of data and 150mins of calls is excellent value. Net is about 80Mbps down and 70Mbps up.

Tempted to get the unlimited for home for 850B/month.

Since this is DTAC basically licensing the LINE Mobile name and trademarks for marketing Mobile Internet Service, it won't be much different service-wise from getting 3G/4G/LTE Mobile Internet from AIS, DTAC, TrueMove-H or TOT3G.

While a pocket WiFi is one way to go, there are alternative installation options for standard hardwired Internet Connection that wouldn't involve running unsightly cables everywhere. The Fiber Router can be placed practically anywhere (just needs power and the fiber drop-line run to it). Internet / LAN distribution can be via WiFi or PowerLine Adapters that utilize existing AC wiring as a 'bridge' to put WiFi Access Points or Ethernet Jacks anywhere you need them. 

On 1/25/2018 at 7:17 PM, Pib said:

Why don't you want to use a Wifi router.  The fiber internet line comes through the wall at one point just enough to connect to the provided Wifi router....then you have wireless internet throughout your condo.

Then that modem (if it's the right one) can give you a 5G WiFi as well as a 4G WiFi channel.

So the latest tablets and phones etc that can use 5G can connect with 5G and the older ones use the 4G.

I have a modest fibre set up in Spain, 50 Megabits up and down with the ZTE  F680 modem.

Although I could access the modem with an Admin account and password (1234/1234) and could create a static IP and open ports as I wanted (PortForward), but the ports were not open.

The online company PortForward were unable to help me (So I eventually got my money back).

I discovered that I was on CGNET so effectively, there was another router between my router and the internet (a middlebox) and I could not open ports on it!
My ISP moved me out of CGNET and all is well.

Here is a PDF I made of the Admin account on the F680, personal details obliterated.

ZTE F680 Modem-Router MenusNoPersonalData.pdf

In Thailand I have 3BB ADSL 15 Mbits down and about 70 Kbits up and also on CGNET, but controlling ports etc is not important to me here.

so I've made no effort to get it moved.

1 hour ago, laislica said:

Then that modem (if it's the right one) can give you a 5G WiFi as well as a 4G WiFi channel.

So the latest tablets and phones etc that can use 5G can connect with 5G and the older ones use the 4G.

Please explain what is 5G wifi as mentioned in your post?

1 hour ago, laislica said:

I have a modest fibre set up in Spain, 50 Megabits up and down with the ZTE  F680 modem.

Although I could access the modem with an Admin account and password (1234/1234) and could create a static IP and open ports as I wanted (PortForward), but the ports were not open.

The online company PortForward were unable to help me (So I eventually got my money back).

I discovered that I was on CGNET so effectively, there was another router between my router and the internet (a middlebox) and I could not open ports on it!

Here is a PDF I made of the Admin account on the F680, personal details obliterated.

ZTE F680 Modem-Router MenusNoPersonalData.pdf

In Thailand I have 3BB ADSL 15 Mbits down and about 70 Kbits up and also on CGNET, but controlling ports etc is not important to me here.

so I've made no effort to get it moved.

What is Cgnet. Google has never heard about Cgnet, other than it is a company operating in a few countries, but not Thailand.

2 hours ago, laislica said:
2 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:
3 hours ago, laislica said:

Please explain what is 5G wifi as mentioned in your post?

Oops, I meant 3G and 4G.

Thanks for pointing that out....

To Clarify, it's usually referred to as a 3G/4G WiFi Router

Saying 3G/4G[/5G] WiFi just gets confusing.

Edited by RichCor

4 hours ago, laislica said:

Probably a typo...but it's CGNAT (Commercial Grade NAT).

29 minutes ago, laislica said:

Yep, again, Sorry (it's dark in ere LOL)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

PS

Please listen to what I mean, not what I say LOL

How do you find out to be behind a CGNAT?

I ask because I have a fixed IP for some time, and for a reason I don't know about, but it seems my IP is in Khon Kaen which is probably 6 - 700 km from where I live.

On 25/01/2018 at 9:24 AM, BuffaloRescue said:

I was looking at the unlimited plan from Line. How would this compare to Fiber? I could get a pocket wifi device and use that to share this 4g connection?

Is it REALLY unlimited? Can I watch Netflix and play online games with it as much as I want without my service being slowed or disrupted?

My download speeds with Line have been about 70Mbps in country, and 20-40Mbps to various other countries.

I've not got the unlimited plan, so don't know if they throttle if you use it excessively. However, there is no minimum term contract, so give it a go, hotspot from phone initially, and if it's no good, cancel.

31 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I ask because I have a fixed IP for some time, and for a reason I don't know about, but it seems my IP is in Khon Kaen which is probably 6 - 700 km from where I live.

If you look at an internet speed test, it will probably show you where your server is, I am not sure.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/faq/location-detection-is-wrong

If it's wrong, one suggestion I saw was: if you have a smartphone or other device with GPS, make sure it's on your wifi, and start using it for a little while with Google Maps. I expect that that might start the process of Google collecting enough information to be like 'wait a second... that IP is somewhere else'. 

I don't know, this is Thailand, but I asked the tech support for my ISP.

CGNAT is a way of having more IP addresses as for as I know.

If you are trying to PortForward and have admin access to the router and all settings are correct but the ports are not open, would that seem like you are not directly connected to the internet?
Perhaps there could be a middlebox between you and the internet?

I mentioned CGNET in the original post but I meant CGNAT, and because my ISP had connected me (and many others it seemed) via that system and I was unable to set the ports open that I needed.

I spent ages checking my modem setup and using Google to read forums and nothing helped .

Even the professional company didn't mention CGNAT! They wanted remote access to my computer but clearly, the problem was not with my setup but with the connection type and only the ISP could have control over that.

Also, I'd never heard of it so I had no idea that there could be a problem there.

PS another little known tricks with computers can be found here.

Edited by laislica

31 minutes ago, laislica said:

If you look at an internet speed test, it will probably show you where your server is, I am not sure.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/faq/location-detection-is-wrong

If it's wrong, one suggestion I saw was: if you have a smartphone or other device with GPS, make sure it's on your wifi, and start using it for a little while with Google Maps. I expect that that might start the process of Google collecting enough information to be like 'wait a second... that IP is somewhere else'. 

I don't know, this is Thailand, but I asked the tech support for my ISP.

CGNAT is a way of having more IP addresses as for as I know.

If you are trying to PortForward and have admin access to the router and all settings are correct but the ports are not open, would that seem like you are not directly connected to the internet?
Perhaps there could be a middlebox between you and the internet?

I mentioned CGNET in the original post but I meant CGNAT, and because my ISP had connected me (and many others it seemed) via that system and I was unable to set the ports open that I needed.

I spent ages checking my modem setup and using Google to read forums and nothing helped .

Even the professional company didn't mention CGNAT! They wanted remote access to my computer but clearly, the problem was not with my setup but with the connection type and only the ISP could have control over that.

Also, I'd never heard of it so I had no idea that there could be a problem there.

PS another little known tricks with computers can be found here.

Most speed test servers say I am in Khon Kaen, just clicking on My IP tells me I'm in Bangkok, but in fact I'm near Pattaya.

In all cases I see the same IP address

Regarding forwarding ports, not so long a go I needed to open port 62062, and a port check tool told me the port was closed.

However the application that uses that port, sort of torrent application, works without problems.

49 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Most speed test servers say I am in Khon Kaen, just clicking on My IP tells me I'm in Bangkok, but in fact I'm near Pattaya.

In all cases I see the same IP address

Regarding forwarding ports, not so long a go I needed to open port 62062, and a port check tool told me the port was closed.

However the application that uses that port, sort of torrent application, works without problems.

As I mentioned, it's not important where a database thinks you ar.....

When you use an torrent client, even with the ports not especially opened for that particular client, the client will still find seeders locally.

However, if the torrent you want is not well supported and you only have local connections, no remote connections, it might take ages to complete the download.

In Spain, I moved from a 15 Mbit ADSL to 50Mbit fiber and downloads were much faster but the port was not opened for my client.

After the ISP moved me from CGNET and the port was opened, every torrent got Remote connections and the downloads were generally completed faster and the whole of my network bandwidth was used.

Previously, on poorly seeded torrents, it took ages, but if yours is working, why worry?

19 minutes ago, laislica said:

Previously, on poorly seeded torrents, it took ages, but if yours is working, why worry?

Because I don't know if i get local sources or remote connections, as I can't see the connections in my case, as this is streaming.

So maybe I can get a much better stream.

I also try to figure why I get a static IP, which normally cost more and for which I don't pay, so mi ISP must have a reason for that.

I have asked them numerous times about this, but they simply don't answer

21 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

If your connection is being provided under a provider CGNAT they will issue your router a Reserved IP Address [link goes to Wikipedia] somewhere in the 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255; 100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255; or 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255, but your actual Internet-facing IP address will be that of the common CGNAT router (an IP address being shared by many many other users from the same provider). 

Almost every IP address issued by a mobile Internet provider will be CGNAT.

Some wired Internet Service Providers also have their customers on CGNAT, though in many cases you can request the account be set to not use CGNAT and provide your router with a direct Internet-facing IP address if you can provide a reason for needing it (like having IP Cameras on your connection that need the ability to open a port).

As for sites reporting your location, you'd be lucky if they report the correct country as they generally all use the records filed by the ISP (who knows how long ago they did that) who self-reported the physical location where the IP address range would be put into use (so usually they report the address of their Network Operations Center).

GOOGLE actually can tell you the exact location as they cross reference and store IP vs GPS vs fixed-hardware MAC addresses + browser tokens whenever possible. So if you use any Google Services they will have a really good idea of where you actually are even without GPS working on your connected device.

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

If your connection is being provided under a provider CGNAT they will issue your router a Reserved IP Address [link goes to Wikipedia] somewhere in the 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255; 100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255; or 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255, but your actual Internet-facing IP address will be that of the common CGNAT router (an IP address being shared by many many other users from the same provider). 

Almost every IP address issued by a mobile Internet provider will be CGNAT.

Some wired Internet Service Providers also have their customers on CGNAT, though in many cases you can request the account be set to not use CGNAT and provide your router with a direct Internet-facing IP address if you can provide a reason for needing it (like having IP Cameras on your connection that need the ability to open a port).

As for sites reporting your location, you'd be lucky if they report the correct country as they generally all use the records filed by the ISP (who knows how long ago they did that) who self-reported the physical location where the IP address range would be put into use (so usually they report the address of their Network Operations Center).

GOOGLE actually can tell you the exact location as they cross reference and store IP vs GPS vs fixed-hardware MAC addresses + browser tokens whenever possible. So if you use any Google Services they will have a really good idea of where you actually are even without GPS working on your connected device.

Thanks for that excellent explanation (Wot, No Typos LOL)

Sorry that CGNAT has derailed the OP somewhat but at least, this important subject is now being aired and, hopefully, folk with the inability to open ports can get it sorted.

Is the picture below a reasonable overview of what it means to the consumer?

CGNAT means that Alice and Bob have no control over the Router closest to the internet.

Bob may think that his IP is 216.231.38.54 but the real IP is 2.8.91.205 and it is shared with other customers?

Capture.JPG.e4c9da60bbc7fb8a24edafa9a2747465.JPG

Also, just because someone seems to always get the same IP address, it doesn't always mean they have a "Fixed IP address".

You seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject and I would really appreciate clarification.

Networks were never my strong points.

(I excell in bad typing and getting things wrong LOL)

CGNAT.png.28a6a6c0e2a3e05edba2a9dc49c0cfe9.png

Made some changes to your example graphic to show how CGNAT might be deployed.

NAT: Network Address Translation

CGNAT: Carrier Grade NAT (large scale deployment)

Having CGNAT is more like someone sticking another consumer NAT Router directly in front of your existing consumer NAT router. You probably wouldn't even notice your device is utilizing a NAT or CGNAT for most Internet access processes. 

A NAT Router (say a standard consumer router) takes one IP address and shares it to many connected devices by taking the one IP address and assigning it to itself (WAN IP) and then giving each local connected devices an IP address from a Reserved IP Address range (like the 192.168.1.x range) -- then the NAT Router acts as the go-between for any Internet requests, creating an internal table in memory to keep track of all outgoing Internet requests to pair the response back to the IP address of the connected device originally making the Internet request.

A NAT Router normally allows all outgoing requests, keeps track of the IP connected device expecting a response, and DROPS all unsolicited incoming data from the Internet. Only responses matching an existing request get past back through the NAT Router.

A standard consumer NAT Router also has provisions allowing unsolicited outside data to be delivered directly to connected devices over open Ports (via "Port Forwarding" or UPnP [Wikipedia links]), so in addition to only passing responses to existing requests, the NAT Router can also be set to pass unsolicited incoming data along to a internal designated IP address that hopefully has a connected device at that IP address listening for data requests.

But in order for this to work, a Port Forward or UPnP request must have been set up in the NAT Router to even pass the data along. This process usually breaks when you stack multiple NAT Routers as your connected device may 'know' about the initial NAT Router, but not the additional NAT Router stacked upstream. This situation is known as Double-NAT,  and because the initial NAT-Router is acting as your go-between, your devices can't know there is yet more NAT Routers upstream that also need configuration ... and with CGNAT you normally DON'T have permission to set Port Forwards or UPnP requests on the ISP commercial equipment. *

* Some ISPs now allow setting Port Forwards in their CGNAT configuration via an external web page that stores the request with your account provisioning information -- so even if the ISP makes changes to your connection (reissues you a new CGNAT IP Address for instance) the configuration follows you. 

As stated previously, most Mobile Internet connections are CGNAT, so any application you have where you want to query or access a device like a IP Camera will not work, unless the IP Camera uses an intermediary Website to keep a 'foot-in-the-door' on your behalf.

32 minutes ago, RichCor said:

CGNAT.png.28a6a6c0e2a3e05edba2a9dc49c0cfe9.png

Made some changes to your example graphic to show how CGNAT might be deployed.

NAT: Network Address Translation

CGNAT: Carrier Grade NAT (large scale deployment)

Having CGNAT is more like someone sticking another consumer NAT Router directly in front of your existing consumer NAT router. You probably wouldn't even notice your device is utilizing a NAT or CGNAT for most Internet access processes. 

A NAT Router (say a standard consumer router) takes one IP address and shares it to many connected devices by taking the one IP address and assigning it to itself (WAN IP) and then giving each local connected devices an IP address from a Reserved IP Address range (like the 192.168.1.x range) -- then the NAT Router acts as the go-between for any Internet requests, creating an internal table in memory to keep track of all outgoing Internet requests to pair the response back to the IP address of the connected device originally making the Internet request.

A NAT Router normally allows all outgoing requests, keeps track of the IP connected device expecting a response, and DROPS all unsolicited incoming data from the Internet. Only responses matching an existing request get past back through the NAT Router.

A standard consumer NAT Router also has provisions allowing unsolicited outside data to be delivered directly to connected devices over open Ports (via "Port Forwarding" or UPnP [Wikipedia links]), so in addition to only passing responses to existing requests, the NAT Router can also be set to pass unsolicited incoming data along to a internal designated IP address that hopefully has a connected device at that IP address listening for data requests.

But in order for this to work, a Port Forward or UPnP request must have been set up in the NAT Router to even pass the data along. This process usually breaks when you stack multiple NAT Routers as your connected device may 'know' about the initial NAT Router, but not the additional NAT Router stacked upstream. This situation is known as Double-NAT,  and because the initial NAT-Router is acting as your go-between, your devices can't know there is yet more NAT Routers upstream that also need configuration ... and with CGNAT you normally DON'T have permission to set Port Forwards or UPnP requests on the ISP commercial equipment. *

* Some ISPs now allow setting Port Forwards in their CGNAT configuration via an external web page that stores the request with your account provisioning information -- so even if the ISP makes changes to your connection (reissues you a new CGNAT IP Address for instance) the configuration follows you. 

As stated previously, most Mobile Internet connections are CGNAT, so any application you have where you want to query or access a device like a IP Camera will not work, unless the IP Camera uses an intermediary Website to keep a 'foot-in-the-door' on your behalf.

Very many thanks for taking the time to create such a great post to explain all this.

So in clarification, where I suggested:

"CGNAT means that Alice and Bob have no control over the Router closest to the internet.

Bob may think that his IP is 216.231.38.54 but the real IP is 2.8.91.205 and it is shared with other customers?"

Was that true for my example?

Am I right in thinking, from your example there could be even more routers between the client and the internet under CGNAT?

Again, many thanks

Edited by laislica
Spelling (of course)

The 'router' upstream from "Bob's" customer router in the example graphic is most likely represents the ISP's intermediary 'gateway' equipment.

27 minutes ago, laislica said:

Am I right in thinking, from your example there could be even more routers between the client and the internet under CGNAT?

Internet traffic will pass through many many many pieces of equipment, many having their own unique 'public' or 'Internet' IP Address assigned to one or multiple ports to aid in 'routing' and passing of traffic along to its destination IP address.

One method of seeing this is to issue an 'trace route' (see wikipedia link), to visually see how many IPs devices the traffic is passing through and the time it takes to do so. This is only partially accurate as some Internet-based equipment may not divulge its IP address, or the traffic may be encapsulated for part of the journey and the request for the trace route ignored as it's essentially hidden by the act of being encapsulated (isolated). 

>tracert speedtest1.totbroadband.com

Tracing route to speedtest1.totbroadband.com [203.113.66.133]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.2.1 [192.168.2.1]
  2     *        8 ms     7 ms  192.168.9.6 [192.168.9.6]
  3     6 ms     6 ms     5 ms  192.168.9.5 [192.168.9.5]
  4    18 ms    21 ms    18 ms  203.113.44.229
  5    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  203.113.44.177
  6    17 ms    16 ms    16 ms  203.113.44.190
  7    16 ms    17 ms    18 ms  203.113.66.133

Trace complete.

In the above example I issued a trace route to the speedtest run by TOT.

It shows my Customer Router address of 192.168.2.1

Also shows a couple more 'reserved IP addressed' (non-Internet routable) of 192.168.9.6 and 9.5 that I find unusual, but they're just being used to pass the data along upstream by the ISP. Then come the Internet or 'public IP' addresses used by TOT to route traffic through there various pieces of equipment until it reaches the IP address resolved by the DNS Server as speedtest1.totbroadband.com [203..113.66.133].

So, yes, traffic can/will pass through a variety of both Reserved IP Addressed that pass point-to-point traffic, and equipment with actual Internet 'public' IP address that purposefully 'route' the traffic along to the correct destination.

The guy was asking about using Line mobile as an alternative to a fiber connection. Do you two start talking about the chemical structure of different ester molecules when asked if you want orange juice or grapefruit juice?

8 hours ago, naboo said:

The guy was asking about using Line mobile as an alternative to a fiber connection. Do you two start talking about the chemical structure of different ester molecules when asked if you want orange juice or grapefruit juice?

Quite right and I did apologise in an earlier post (#19).

However, the OP's question was fully answered in post #3.

You read this far, why?

Did you find it informative and did you learn something? (I did).

If so, perhaps it needs a new "Heads Up" thread about "PortForwarding - Why Ports opened in your Router are not open to the Internet".

It could include a comment that the first place to check is ones own Firewall.

They can block unsolicited attempts to contact your computer because they may see such attempts as a threat.

Then taking RichCor's posts and explain how CGNAT can be responsible and suggest the ways that a client can get round it?

Sounds like a job for RichCor, I'd make too many typos and errors LOL

or does everyone already know about network topology and it was only me that had never heard of CGNAT?

What do you think?