Video: Minivan driver with a baseball bat threatens motorcyclist after collision leaves wife on the tarmac

webfact

Video: Minivan driver with a baseball bat threatens motorcyclist after collision leaves wife on the tarmac

7pm1.jpg

video screenshot

Thai television showed footage of an incident in the Bang Plee area east of Bangkok as a minivan driver threatened a motorcyclist with a baseball bat.

With a Thai woman clearly hurt on the road surface people intervene to stop a bad situation turning worse.

Thai Rath TV said that moments earlier the woman had been knocked off the back of her husband's bike. The husband was furious and confronted the minivan driver who produced a baseball bat.

The TV presenters said that comment about the incident was rife with the public calling minivan drivers "hooligans" and a disgrace.

And what were minivan drivers doing dressing like that anyway?, some asked.

The police told the media that there could be a fine regarding the bad driving but having a weapon like a baseball bat was a criminal offence.

They were waiting for a complaint to be made before doing anything, however.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-26

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel to Bangkok from Pattaya 3 or 4 times a month and always take a taxi both directions. People often ask me why I don't use minibuses which are much cheaper. Quite simply, it is the number of incidents of poor driving and aggression, such as this that stop me.

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

with the public calling minivan drivers "hooligans" and a disgrace

That´s what they are. The most bad thing that everybody that chooses to travel with one of them, also play with thier own lifes.

Why in the world is he driving around with a peacemaker in the car?

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I travel to Bangkok from Pattaya 3 or 4 times a month and always take a taxi both directions. People often ask me why I don't use minibuses which are much cheaper. Quite simply, it is the number of incidents of poor driving and aggression, such as this that stop me.

Yes sir, I agree. 100thb vs 1200thb? My life is worth much more than the difference. 

I tried a minivan from Samut Phrakan to Pattaya once, and once only. I got extremely tired from the constant adrenalin rush and asking the driver politely to slow down, drive on the correct side of the road etc

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Actually Taxis are just as dangerous. You should use a bus which is quite safer and also much cheaper.

2 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

if your going to carry a baseball bat in your car , make sure you carry a glove and a ball too . 

your lawyer will thank you .:smile:

And bread and butter when you carry a knife. I also once read about a big Samoan who used a bowling ball to beat someone one time, the Samoan version of an Uzi. 

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually Taxis are just as dangerous. You should use a bus which is quite safer and also much cheaper.

Correct. I often use the bus from either Ekkamai or the Airport. 126 baht or thereabouts and not much longer in time to get there than using a taxi. Take some food and drink on board and the time flies. The airport one is good because it takes you to Jomtien and then on a 10 baht bus in to Pattaya.

Edited by Toshiba66

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Agree, I've been in a taxi doing 100 kph along the Lat Phrao road without seat belts in the back seat.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

When will those minivandrivers finally get forced to behave properly? They act like all the roads belong to them and don't give a duck about anybody else.

Further, one operator runs several routes which all terminate every morning just outside my university. Some of my students take these vans because not many other options.

Operator packs 18 adults into every van for 45 minute journey, at high speed.

Edited by scorecard

Used to get minibus from Ban Amphoe up to Pattay, but they are all such bad drivers, always speeding etc, Now I refuse to get in any minibus anywhere.

there is supposed to be checks on them for taking too many passengers and length of time they drive, but that has all fallen by the wayside as per every other safety aspect that is suggested  

I used to work for the Sarasas School System, and I have to say they employed THE most polite, courteous, professional drivers I've EVER seen worldwide.  They were always in uniform, always punctual, never sped through the streets, always signaled their intent, etc. I worked in six different schools and it was always the same. I never felt frightened during any trip we took.

I write this because it CAN be done!

Police!

1.  A vehicle is a weapon just like the Bat

2. Wait for them to file a report?  That is what is wrong here?

What is the actual job description of the police here aside

from sitting in the A/C boxes waiting for their tea money!

Amazing Thailand,  things are just so backwards here?

4 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

if your going to carry a baseball bat in your car , make sure you carry a glove and a ball too . 

I saw baseball bats for sale at the local weekend market, I told the merchant "I didn't think people here played baseball", he replied "they aren't for hitting balls...they are for hitting people". I walked on.

4 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

Oh yeah, Ha! Slap the driver with glove, put the ball in an 'appropriate' position and then whack with the bat. Good idea.

I wonder if they take drugs because the work is incredibly stressful with the long hours and considering how everyone believe they can yield in main roads without looking or stopping or cut cars off when passing. I assume in BKK that the situation is even more stressful being a bigger city. At the same time, I see many of these vans driving like maniacs too. So, again, do they take drugs . In Hua Hin, they live in the South end (how far?) and must drive to bkk and back everyday. One time was enough for me.