Smelly house toilets/bathrooms

16 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

We have U-bends under our sinks but...the septic stink comes up through the bath drain. Not an easy fix to remove the bathtub! Any ideas???

Keep the plug in?The bath should not go to the septic drain system but ya just never know. If it is perhaps that could be corrected.

As you say awkward to get at, follow the pipe to its destination and see if you can get a U-bend in there any place.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Yes, keep the plug in since the bath drain will not allow any smell in while it is draining water so when not in use the bath can be plugged to prevent the smell entering the bathroom

The easiest and cheapest solution

I had an afterthought that a bit of whiff may come up through the overflow though.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:38 PM, Golden Triangle said:

My Mrs regularly uses toilet cleaners as the water where we are stains the bowls more than I do, are these cleaners bad for septic tanks ? This is my first experience of septic tanks as in the UK I was connected to mains sewers. If so what would you recommend ?

We have the same problem as we use well water which is very hard. We found that a fairly fine wet & dry paper will take the stains off without scratching the ceramic.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:34 PM, Tofer said:

I would also appreciate anybodies opinion of why the Thais separate the waste from whb's/showers/floor drains from the waste out of the wc. Complete nonsense in my opinion, as the water from those appliances help flush out the main drain carrying solids from the wc.

Water from wash basins and showers is known as 'grey' water and will normally contain substances harmful to the bio system. This water should be routed to the grey tank and only 'black' water from the toilets routed to the black tank.

On 1/27/2018 at 1:49 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

We have U-bends under our sinks but...the septic stink comes up through the bath drain. Not an easy fix to remove the bathtub! Any ideas???

The bath should not run into the black septic tank, there should be 2 tanks, a black and a grey and it is ok to put chemicals into the grey tank. The smell may just be from deposits in the waste pipes to the grey tank. The Thais can be a bit slack when it comes to 'fall' on the pipes and water can lie in the pipe. I put hot water and bleach down mine fairly regularly to try and keep them clean.

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Vinegar and baking soda is more effective and less caustic 

Only in your imagination, been there and it doesn't work, the mixture creates carbon dioxide and water.

The next time you have a slow or clogged drain, try reaching for hot water first. You may find out that it does a great job cutting through FOG clogs and you can save yourself some money on baking soda and vinegar.

https://brendid.com/why-you-should-never-use-baking-soda-and-vinegar-to-clean-clogged-drains/

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:Vinegar and baking soda is more effective and less caustic