Tambien baan is no longer accepted by DLT

On 27/01/2018 at 9:11 PM, Maestro said:

I suspect that the house registration book is not accepted as proof of address because many people in Thailand do not live at the address shown for them in this book.

The thing is that Thai people use their Thai ID cards for proof of address, and the address on their ID card is the same address as their house book. As you say, they may not be living at that address, but the Land Transport office doesn't make them go and get a certificate of residence from the police.

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

You are incorrect Ditto, because you didn't read the post you quoted.

No bank will allow you to withdraw money with a document that doesn't have your pic on!

And even for opening an account, many banks will not accept the yellow book and will required a Certificate of Residence. It seems to be an Immigration requirement at Pattaya.

Incorrect as you didn't read my post my bank allows me to withdraw money on yellow book. I have personaly opened 3 bank accounts with my yellow book and Thai foreigner ID card. Just beacuse you have not been able to do it in Pattaya as yhere probably swamped with reauests for bank accounts. Does not mean other branches and banks away from that hole dont do it.

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

// my bank allows me to withdraw money on yellow book. //

Please tell me which bank it is... that I avoid it ! :post-4641-1156693976:

A bank that allows withdrawal without proof of ID would be extremely unsafe :shock1: !... 

and despite what you say, I just can't believe such bank exists nowadays :unsure:

So if anyone manage to steal your Yellow Book, he can easily empty your account.

Good to know... :wink::tongue:

13 hours ago, blackcab said:

The thing is that Thai people use their Thai ID cards for proof of address, and the address on their ID card is the same address as their house book. As you say, they may not be living at that address, but the Land Transport office doesn't make them go and get a certificate of residence from the police.

Thai people use the blue tambien baan as proof of address, the ID card is proof of identity.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Thai people use the blue tambien baan as proof of address, the ID card is proof of identity.

I have to say I've never seen my wife or her relatives use their Tabien Baan as a proof of address in day to day use. It's ID card all the way, including for renewing driving licences, opening and operating bank accounts and various corporate matters.

This is in Bangkok although I am sure in other provinces things can differ.

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Please tell me which bank it is... that I avoid it ! :post-4641-1156693976:

A bank that allows withdrawal without proof of ID would be extremely unsafe :shock1: !... 

and despite what you say, I just can't believe such bank exists nowadays :unsure:

So if anyone manage to steal your Yellow Book, he can easily empty your account.

Good to know... :wink::tongue:

Now you are being childish arent you. The Bank is my local branch where I opened my account with my yellow book and ID card of Bangkok bank. They know me so its highly unlikely that some toe rag who steals my yellow book would get anything from them. When in UK many years ago I never showed ID to withdraw money only my debit card. 

I very rarely have to show any proof at my branch. But as I said I'm not in the Pattaya hole

Now you are being childish arent you. The Bank is my local branch where I opened my account with my yellow book and ID card of Bangkok bank. They know me so its highly unlikely that some toe rag who steals my yellow book would get anything from them. When in UK many years ago I never showed ID to withdraw money only my debit card. 
I very rarely have to show any proof at my branch. But as I said I'm not in the Pattaya hole

If it’s possible to withdraw money with yellow book as only proof of ID what happens if the said toe rag goes to another branch other than the one you’re known in?

Bit worrying, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

If it’s possible to withdraw money with yellow book as only proof of ID what happens if the said toe rag goes to another branch other than the one you’re known in?

Bit worrying, no?

No as I'm sure another branch would not allow it. As I said they know me in branch I go there at least twice a week 9 times out of ten I don't have to show any I'D.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the sequence of events to get a yellow book I'am married to a Thai national have been for 12 years we have built our own house here in Yang Talat Kalasin. We have been to the district office and they have told us to go to the British to get passport verified but i have also been told by a friend in Surin he only had to go to the notary has anybody in Kalasin got any advice for me please.

Thanks in advance. 

On 1/30/2018 at 5:54 PM, JaiLai said:

Bit worrying, no?

If somebody presents themselves to a bank for a withdrawal using a document which has a name and signature but no photo then IMHO the bank should not proceed because there has not been any valid ID presented / accepted, because there is no photo ID.

Tabien Baan books (all colours) don't have photos so in theory a bank should not accept it as a valid ID.

Or am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If somebody presents themselves to a bank for a withdrawal using a document which has a name and signature but no photo then IMHO the bank should not proceed because there has not been any valid ID presented / accepted, because there is no photo ID.

Tabien Baan books (all colours) don't have photos so in theory a bank should not accept it as a valid ID.

Or am I missing something?

Totally agree with you.

But this guy seems to be bragging about not needing to use photo ID coz 'they know him'........

Personally although it can be a bit of a pain at times i like getting asked for proof of who i am when using my bank account(s).

Two years ago my yellow book saved me a 3 hour round driving trip to get a certificate of residence for the DLT to issue my license. They told me where to go and come back with the form and when I asked what about my yellow book everything changed and they processed me to get a 2 year temporary motorbike and car license on the spot. Muang Phon

Recently yellow book accepted for 5 year renewal in Phon.

2 hours ago, Davy g said:

What is the sequence of events to get a yellow book I'am married to a Thai national have been for 12 years we have built our own house here in Yang Talat Kalasin. We have been to the district office and they have told us to go to the British to get passport verified but i have also been told by a friend in Surin he only had to go to the notary has anybody in Kalasin got any advice for me please.

Thanks in advance. 

The sequence of events will be as your local amper decides. 

I have recently enquired at my amper and they said that no translation of my passport was needed as my name had already been translated on my marriage certificate.

The only translation they said needed was of my parents names.

i will have to wait until after I get my first extension of stay in 3 months to confirm that.

My yellow book got me 2.5 years of free hospital

visits,and meds,until it got to be widely known 

about and they stopped it,plus it was implemented

by Taskin ,so that could have been another reason

why,

regards Worgeordie

Seems strange that Bangkok Bank would allow anyone to withdraw funds without a picture ID regardless of how familiar that person may be to the bank employees. I can not imagine  any bank teller taking the risk. In fact, I have banked at the same Bangkok Bank branch for over ten years and most of the employees that have been there very long greet me by name but still require my passport (never accept pink id) and make a copy that is attached to the withdrawal documents. I am told that is bank policy. LH Bank, K-Bank and TMB also require my passport to make withdrawals. 

16 hours ago, Davy g said:

Thanks in advance. 

Yeah, my advise is have your wife go down to your Amphur and ask and they will give you the correct advice, friends are hardly experts.  Every Amphur has their own requirements, some are easy, others are difficult, you need to find out what your's wants   

And if the Amphur want's the British Passport verified then you have to decide it it is worth the time and trouble to get a Yellow Book 

• Like 1

On 30.1.2018 at 9:46 AM, stevenl said:

I did never see a Thai person use the blue tabian baan for anything where a proof of address is needed, they always use their ID card for everything.

• 1 year later...

Just tried to use my yellow tabien baan as proof of address for my DL renewal this morning in Nakhon Ratchasima area. The girl at the counter studied it, my pink ID, my passport, and my soon-to-expire 2-year DL and then examined her "cheat sheet" of what is acceptable (filled with passages highlighted in yellow) for about 10 minutes while incessantly muttering to herself. She said I needed either a notarized Embassy/Consulate affidavit certifying my address (that's the wonderful "proof" I used the first time) or the CR from Immigration. But then, after hearing my Thai wife (translator) and me argue, she checked her cheat sheet again and, after a pause, said if I only presented my passport I could ONLY use Embassy/Consulate method, whereas if I instead presented my yellow book and pink ID card, I MUST use the CR from Immigration method. 

Contrary to what I was told this morning, I'm quite sure either the Embassy-notarized affidavit or the Immigration CR would be considered acceptable regardless of what I presented at the counter. But my yellow book got the thumbs-down -- this time, at this place, from this DLT staffer.

Anyway, a trip to Korat tomorrow is better than a trip to Bangkok after my license expires. Then back to DLT on Thursday. Arrrgh. TIT. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:09 PM, Maestro said:

I am sure I did not get my Thai lifetime driving licence abnormally in 1974, when I was considerably younger than 75 years. In fact, the lifetime licence was the only one available at that time.

All changed now.

Can't remember when.

PS.

If you lose it you will only get a 10 year licence.

Edited by overherebc

On 1/27/2018 at 5:36 AM, rickudon said:

Although you do not NEED to have a yellow book, they are useful. It can be used as proof of address (unless in Pattaya :smile:) and this avoids the need of getting a Certificate of Residence (which costs us 500 baht from our local immigration office), and also getting a bank account (some branches demand a yellow book). If you are only ever living at one address, worth the effort to get it.

In my experience they are as useful as eunuch in a brothel

• Like 1

Yellow book and Pink IDs are hit and miss. Agent is the sure way to do business in Thailand but in some places agents are not available so may be they have to endure inconvenience. 

Edited by onera1961

On 2/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, jackdd said:

I did never see a Thai person use the blue tabian baan for anything where a proof of address is needed, they always use their ID card for everything.

jackdd must not spend much time around Thai people if he never saw that almost any legal or government transaction requires both. I speak as the father and husband of Thai nationals (and large extended family.)

• Like 2

When I opened my first Thai bank account, at Bangkok Bank 30 years ago, I was told that I did not need to produce proof of identity at that branch, but it would be needed at any other branch, and that has been my experience ever since.  I usually use the ATM, and I am not personally known at that branch, but have never needed any ID to withdraw cash there on the rare occasions I need to use the counter service.  In fact the last time I used the counter service to withdraw cash from my account and deposit it into a friend's account, I simply presented the two passbooks together with the deposit and withdrawal slips.

My Thai wife has an account at a different branch, and she does not need to produce her ID card for withdrawals there, only at other branches.

The ID needed for my withdrawals at other branches has always been a passport.  Thai driving licence not accepted. 

On 2/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, jackdd said:

They need to show it for many things, driver's licence included.

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When my GF got her drivers license in Udon Thani the house book was not required.

Are you sure she also did not hand them a copy?

Really standard for Thai to use the house book for official actions.