Burgers In Chiang Mai

chuchok

. . . . and who would have thought that beetroot in a burger would work?! Will have to try again, for confirmation, without the Beer Lao hors d'oeuvres!

Woody's sell beer although I think they no longer have Beer Lao. Not enough call for it to justify the fridge space. Mind you if Austhaied turned up they would clear their entire stock in one sitting plus two burgers, a falafel roll, milkshake, and a small afterdinner mint :o

Once we have converted everyone over to an Australian style of burger I will try to persuade Whimsy to import some Dim Sims and Chico Rolls. Now THAT will be a taste sensation.

CB

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . . and who would have thought that beetroot in a burger would work?! Will have to try again, for confirmation, without the Beer Lao hors d'oeuvres!

Woody's sell beer although I think they no longer have Beer Lao. Not enough call for it to justify the fridge space. Mind you if Austhaied turned up they would clear their entire stock in one sitting plus two burgers, a falafel roll, milkshake, and a small afterdinner mint :DWhat, no desert.?? :D

Once we have converted everyone over to an Australian style of burger I will try to persuade Whimsy to import some Dim Sims and Chico Rolls. Now THAT will be a taste sensation.

CB

Dim Sims hey, how i remember them fondly. The closest thing here is the fried gyoza, which are not bad. Can get 4n20 pies here though.. :o

CB

Dim Sims hey, how i remember them fondly. The closest thing here is the fried gyoza, which are not bad.

We used to refer to them as a "leper in a sleeping bag"

Can get 4n20 pies here though.. :o

Rimping supermarket had them at the Riverside store - I used to like keeping a stock of them in the freezer for the Aussie 7 course meal - six pack and a pie what more could you want?

CB

Gyozas... Try the "Taiwan Cafe" about 75 meters west of Kad Suan Kaew on the opposite side of Huay Kaew Rd. What the place lacks in cleanliness and ambiance, it makes up for in deliciosity.

Is that the one next to "Lemon Tree"?

Always wondered about that place, just haven't got a round to trying it yet. Will now though. Thanks LRB.

We used to refer to them as a "leper in a sleeping bag"

Rimping supermarket had them at the Riverside store - I used to like keeping a stock of them in the freezer for the Aussie 7 course meal - six pack and a pie what more could you want?

CB

Sleaze in a sleeve....Rock on! Rimping in Chotana used to have them, but I havn't checked Mee Chock yet.

Gyozas... Try the "Taiwan Cafe" about 75 meters west of Kad Suan Kaew on the opposite side of Huay Kaew Rd. What the place lacks in cleanliness and ambiance, it makes up for in deliciosity.

Is that the one next to "Lemon Tree"?

Always wondered about that place, just haven't got a round to trying it yet. Will now though. Thanks LRB.

Try the fried gyozas and the "noodles in soybean ketchup" (better than it sounds). The noodles in that dish have a great texture. Use the soy sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil and chili paste on the table to make your dipping sauce. Very tasty. I take some home every time too.

Anyone ever have a hankering for a snot block :D ?

Must be an Ocker when refering to those wonderful confections called Vanilla Slices :o I've never seen them here, but if you find any, let me know....

Can i put my order in now for some ?? Making me drool now MJM..

post-31110-1187937019_thumb.jpg

Must be an Ocker when refering to those wonderful confections called Vanilla Slices :o I've never seen them here, but if you find any, let me know....

Yeah....Snot Blocks rule!! I might have to take the recipe to Tops Bakery, and see if they can bang some out for us. All it needs is a base of puff pastry, and some vinalla custard topped with icing. I might even have a go myself.........

Sabai Pie near Wat Umong had them. They had lamintons and coconut slice as well. Not see them for ages so perhaps we need to start up a campaign to get them added to the menu.

CB

You sure can!! Just dug out grannies old recipe and all I need is some icing sugar, which I will get at Rimping tomorrow. I'll knock out a tray load, and you can check them out sunday or monday.

After this it think it's back to the burger thread... :o

Hey Woody "two burgers with the lot including beetroot to San Kamphaeng" I have a tin of pineapple slices here in case you haven't got of it in stock yet. Are you doing Oz style milkshakes and I don't mean those stupid hernia shakes they have at McDonalds etc?

Mmmmmmm Aussieburger with the lot. Big chunky chips and a double chocolate milkshake with malt.

Yes we have milk shakes, not thick shakes. A good serve of ice cold milk + a scoop of ice cream. We just have chocolate or strawberry. We haven't been promoting them much though they ARE on the menu, but some customers have told me they go to the 'other place' still sometimes because they crave their thick shake, so perhaps I need to advertise them more prominently. I caught one of our new staff telling someone that we didn't have milk shakes, so you may need to insist that we actually do or talk to my wife. Sorry we haven't got any malt. Is it around at a reasonable price in Tops or Rimping?

We've got some tinned pineapple slices in stock now, so ask for it as an extra if you want some. Ditto for everyone that wants beetroot. We don't add it as standard, ask for it. No point wasting it on folks that don't want it.

Well the cats out of the bag now. Woody's Burgers have taken over as my burger of choice in Chiangmai. Just like i used to get back home (beetroot and all). Great fuel for a night on the town (or the hangover the next day). He just needs to open a branch in Nimmenhemin and i will be set..

The shop is located on Chaiyaphum Rd not far from the Chiangmoi Rd turnoff.

Has to be the best burger in Chiangmai!! All you need to do now Whimsy is to run a motor cycle home delivery service, I'm sure it would take off big time....

Thanks Austhaied and Maejo Man. I have thought about a delivery service, but have baulked for 2 reasons. 1. We can't get it too you fast enough to give you the food in it's best condition. Probably the burger and kebab would be OK, but at least for me, chips are not the same once they are no longer piping hot. 2. We really have not been busy enough yet to justify it. Perhaps that is a bit 'chicken and egg'. MJM, I respect your local knowledge, do you really think the demand for delivery is there?

In the meantime, we have the number for the shop on our business cards. If you would like to sort out home delivery as a semi-regular customer, drop in to the shop and pick one up and have a talk to my wife. I reckon we could work something out where we could send the food out to you using one of the tuk-tuks that park outside our place regularly.

MJM, I respect your local knowledge, do you really think the demand for delivery is there?

In the meantime, we have the number for the shop on our business cards. If you would like to sort out home delivery as a semi-regular customer, drop in to the shop and pick one up and have a talk to my wife. I reckon we could work something out where we could send the food out to you using one of the tuk-tuks that park outside our place regularly.

As you say probably not at the moment, but once well established, which I'm sure you will be, slap a coat of paint on Mrs Whimsy's motor cy and get a copy built of one of the "Hot boxes" as used by the "others" Then sign it up with a slogan on the back, something along the lines of ....

"You've just been burgered by Woody's"

and off you go!! :o

Thanks everyone for the feedback on Woody's. Yes I would agree that our burgers are more Aussie style than US. No surprise there, as I am an Aussie. However we have no problem customising our basic burger, kebab or hot dog to be more the way you want it. If we have the ingredients and can do it, we'll give it a try

Our kebabs are probably closest to Greek 'Melbourne style'. Once again, the style I know and like the best. Kebabs are a tough one to please everyone with. It seems every nationality has their own local version of what a kebab should be like. We just use fresh quality meat and salad in a nice big pitta bread. So even if it is not just like 'back home' at least it should be tasty and filling. This wikipedia article has a nice summary of some of the national and regional variations of the ever popular kebab.

Woody's is open again tonight (Friday 24th) after our 5 days off. Hope there is some pent-up demand! :o:D

Vanilla Slices sounds good, but I'm not sure that I could put something called a "snot block" in my mouth. In the US, "snot" is the mucus that drips out of ones nose when you have a cold! :o

Good to hear that some things still remain the same in the American version English language.

Edited by sceadugenga

MJM, I respect your local knowledge, do you really think the demand for delivery is there?

As you say probably not at the moment, but once well established, which I'm sure you will be, slap a coat of paint on Mrs Whimsy's motor cy and get a copy built of one of the "Hot boxes" as used by the "others" Then sign it up with a slogan on the back, something along the lines of ....

"You've just been burgered by Woody's"

and off you go!! :o

Or "I've got a Woody for a burger"

Went there on Saturday night - but didn't read the additional information to know there is Pineapple there now. Asked for a burger with the lot and got that - should have added "the lot plus pineapple"

CB

I tried the Aussie Burger - minus pineapple - at Woody's and it was indeed quite good, although very difficult to hold. The only thing is that there was so much extra stuff on there, that I'm not sure that the quality of the burger makes much difference. I wasn't even sure that there was one inside until I stopped eating and looked for it! :o

I tried the Aussie Burger - minus pineapple - at Woody's and it was indeed quite good, although very difficult to hold. The only thing is that there was so much extra stuff on there, that I'm not sure that the quality of the burger makes much difference. I wasn't even sure that there was one inside until I stopped eating and looked for it! :o

Pineapple in a burger is a hideous aberration that I suspect may have been introduced by Americans during the R&R days. I mean they'd be incapable of eating anything without something sweet in it would they. :D

Americans don't put pineapples on burgers, but I like a slice of pizza with pineapple and ham once in a while.

I actually asked for, "An Aussie Burger with everything", but the girl didn't put pineapple on. Maybe she feels the same way that you do? :o