Pros and Cons of Living in Thailand vs. the USA for older Americans

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:41 AM, XDoodlebugger said:

Yes, a very good friend of mine retired in Thailand in 2015 and was using social security to fund it, by 2016 he was in a hospital and ran through his savings and had to rely on family and friends for the bills. A terrible position to be in, especially as he was a veteran and could have both medicare and Veterans Administration healthcare back in the US. Passed away not too long after the hospital stay. 

All good points and brings up the need or desire of why some US expats should at least consider maintaining their USA homeland ties for various reasons.  Medical, IDs, Financial investments, Mail things, Auto Insurance (Have you ever tried to get car insurance after not having had any for a while, even if no accidents?  The companies will gouge you), 

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

All good points and brings up the need or desire of why some US expats should at least consider maintaining their USA homeland ties for various reasons.  Medical, IDs, Financial investments, Mail things, Auto Insurance (Have you ever tried to get car insurance after not having had any for a while, even if no accidents?  The companies will gouge you), 

I agree it is important to keep a US address for many things like credit cards etc

But as far as car insurance we found after 5 + years away it was no problem to get quick courteous quotes from 4+ insurance companies when we returned. (even though we had no US insurance history for previous 5+ years)

Not only quick but half the price we were paying in Thailand so no gouging in our case at all.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

If one's spouse works for govt, the health plan covers foreign spouse?!?

Yes Sir.. It certainly does. Every 2 months I go for a Cardiac checkup. The total bill is usually B16,000 which includes Meds.. I pay B250 and the Gov't picks up the rest.

Edited by Jeffrey346
spelling

A more general comment here. A major reason many Americans retire abroad to Thailand and other "lower cost" nations is to either live a higher quality of life in retirement and/or to even be able to ever retire at all. Of course, such plans are not fool proof, whether staying in the USA or moving abroad. Even with all the best proactive planning, and face it following through with the best plans is often not done, life events can and often do derail the plans and goals. 

In my case, I "retired" abroad quite early. I'm still solvent after many years. IF I had stayed in the USA, would I even be still solvent or perhaps much better off. I would have no way of ever knowing that.

On this theme --

"MISSION: Rescue Your Retirement

Leap of Faith

How Moving Abroad Saved Our Assets"

https://cuencahighlife.com/long-time-cuenca-residents-edd-and-cynthia-staton-discuss-their-upcoming-trilogy-on-retiring-overseas/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, xyznot said:

I retired here because gay sex is free.  I don't know any other country where old white guys get so much for so little. 

Very little is really "free" here (or anywhere) but even though I find the tone of your post ridiculous, it's obvious a fact that many older people choose Thailand because of it's reputed ease of enjoying younger sexual or relationship partners. But even in this context, economics is a factor in the motivation. A very wealthy person in the USA could enjoy that easily as well at home. 

So that's been mentioned and that's fine because it reflects reality.

But please, folks, let's not make this a thread about sexpats. I'd like to keep it open. Do you feel me? 

Edited by Jingthing
4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Very little is really "free" here (or anywhere) but even though I find the tone of your post ridiculous, it's obvious a fact that many older people choose Thailand because of it's reputed ease of enjoying younger sexual or relationship partners. But even in this context, economics is a factor in the motivation. A very wealthy person in the USA could enjoy that easily as well at home. 

So that's been mentioned and that's fine because it reflects reality.

But please, folks, let's not make this a thread about sexpats. I'd like to keep it open. Do you feel me? 

Sorry but I think anyone who retires here who is not celibate or partnered with a Western significant other would fit your definition of sexpat and I don't think that it serves a purpose to label people in such a derogatory way.  

This year America is experiencing a sea change of values and has culturally changed in a way Thailand has not.  

"Spring and winter" relationships are no longer available in the States and Thailand carves another notch in it's gun of expat paradise status. 

Thailand is not just cheaper it is like an oasis in the middle of a desert of up tight me  too'ers.  

kevin.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes, Thailand is different.

No, this thread will not be hijacked into a discussion of sexpats and/or whether it is correct to use that term.

Seriously, that is not OK. 

If you want to discuss the social issue of expats sex lives in Thailand, START A NEW THREAD. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, xyznot said:

Change the title of your thread to exclude all mention of the main reason that the majority of males retire in Thailand as opposed to the West.  How about something like "Pros and cons of living in Thailand vs the USA for older American Eunuchs."

If you don't want to know why average older Americans choose to live here vs USA why ask?   It is to get away from prissy twits that are afraid to talk about sex for one reason.  The culture avails men of not only reliving their youth but talking about it and still hearing Hotel California played as a top 40 song while they dance with a young significant other.  I'm not hijacking anything I'm 100% on topic.  

Absolutely the reason for some if not most initially is sex, straight or gay or whatver your pleasure it’s everywhere, don’t be fooled when some say it’s for cost of living and culture 5555555

The obvious and clear intention of this thread (read the O.P. and remind yourself what subforum we are in) is about things like --

MEDICAL CARE

HEALTH INSURANCE

AFFORDABLE CARE ACT

MEDICARE

SOCIAL SECURITY

HOUSING 

TRANSPORTATION

TRAVEL BACK TO THE USA

PRACTICALITIES (BANKING, TAXES, etc.)

Under the forum rules, it can't be a political debate thread. I wish I had thought in the O.P. to mention that it isn't a sex tourism discussion thread either. I don't think this thread topic, which I think does have value, can survive it is becomes a sex topic. This subforum isn't about sex topics and in my opinion, this thread will not be allowed to continue if it becomes focused on sex. 

This thread topic has the potential (only potential) to exist and be relevant to people for a very long time. But with the attempt to hijack this into another sex thread (there are outside forums all about that if you want!) it risks early murder. 

Edited by Jingthing
20 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Yes Sir.. It certainly does. Every 2 months I go for a Cardiac checkup. The total bill is usually B16,000 which includes Meds.. I pay B250 and the Gov't picks up the rest.

Oh my dream.  Get the Thai wife with a job and medical coverage.  I will happily pay the rent and all the other stuff that I need anyway

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The obvious and clear intention of this thread (read the O.P. and remind yourself what subforum we are in) is about things like --

MEDICAL CARE

HEALTH INSURANCE

AFFORDABLE CARE ACT

MEDICARE

SOCIAL SECURITY

HOUSING 

TRANSPORTATION

TRAVEL BACK TO THE USA

PRACTICALITIES (BANKING, TAXES, etc.)

Under the forum rules, it can't be a political debate thread. I wish I had thought in the O.P. to mention that it isn't a sex tourism discussion thread either. I don't think this thread topic, which I think does have value, can survive it is becomes a sex topic. This subforum isn't about sex topics and in my opinion, this thread will not be allowed to continue if it becomes focused on sex. 

This thread topic has the potential (only potential) to exist and be relevant to people for a very long time. But with the attempt to hijack this into another sex thread (there are outside forums all about that if you want!) it risks early murder. 

Banking and finance.  me, I would always keep the majority of my monies and things in the USA.  Unfortunately some institutions make it difficult when dealing with them from over seas.  Taxes while not having a USA address, well, many expats have talked about that, dealing with Manilla I believe for Tax questions.  Health Insurance:  If older go on Medicare and hope you can travel home when needed.  Supplemental B coverage can be around $200/month in addition to the $135 base cost I think.  Strongly suggest some local Thai insurance for convenience.  $100/month for some decent BUPA plans seems reasonable from 60-65 from what I have seen.  ACA at the moment with the new tax law will NOT penalize you if you don't have coverage, and you can qualify for an exemption if properly documented as being outside the USA.  Social Security as others have said can be a little challenging to setup for overseas.  Me, I plan to keep it going to my USA institution, and I will transfer it or access it as I need it.  Did somebody say your SSA monies CAN"T go to an account that has an ATM card?  Still not a big deal as I have Money market and Savings accounts and can then transfer the money to another account at the same place by myself

2 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Why? The credit card company doesn't give a rat's ass where you live, as long as you pay on time. Correct me if I'm mistaken. :)

I guess it depends on the cards

Mine were business cards with high limits

They were fine with my being in Thailand but still wanted a US address

& would only send new cards to that address (every 4 years or so)

I would then have my kids send via FedEx or DHL to me

Tried regular priority air mail twice both times stolen/lost somewhere in Thailands system

As far as use & billing ..I had paperless billing & paid from Thailand via US banks all done online

The cards by the way are Capital One which has no fees for using in foreign countries

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A more general comment here. A major reason many Americans retire abroad to Thailand and other "lower cost" nations is to either live a higher quality of life in retirement and/or to even be able to ever retire at all.

I think that is true for many but was not true for us...In truth quality of everything is better at out US location than our Thai location

But in our case we own homes in both places so I think that is a big part of it.

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Oh my dream.  Get the Thai wife with a job and medical coverage.  I will happily pay the rent and all the other stuff that I need anyway

I don't know if a Thai job with medical coverage covers a foreign spouse.

A Gov't job does. In fact, my wife's coverage not only includes me, it includes her parents as well.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I don't know if a Thai job with medical coverage covers a foreign spouse.

A Gov't job does. In fact, my wife's coverage not only includes me, it includes her parents as well.

Yes.  I left out the words Government job.  That is what I meant.  Of course there may be some other jobs that would cover a spouse, but I meant to say Government.

• Like 1

Posting this current opinion piece (from a very famous conservative) not for it's political content, but for the underlying facts it presents. It's a wonder more Americans don't consider retirement abroad to lower cost places like Thailand when staying at home means either living (or dying) in dire poverty or not ever being able to retire at all (assuming work is still available going into old age). The article gets into low savings rates, American culture of enjoying the current feeling of prosperity too much without considering the future, and how little the typical social security check covers basic needs if that is all or mostly what you have (a huge percentage of current and future older Americans).

Why good economic news is bad

As of 2013, 45 percent of working-age households had no retirement savings. Social Security (average annual payment, $15,500), which provides 33 percent of seniors' annual income, and 90 percent for the bottom third of retirees, but only about 35 percent of a typical household's pre-retirement income, last year became America's first trillion-dollar-a-year program. Absent reforms, its trust fund will be exhausted by 2035 and benefits will have to be reduced 23 percent.
Read more at

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will020318.php3#ToiXGkbTweAZUigA.99

That said, it's my strong impression that American institutions make it harder than it needs to be to retire abroad. Things like banks and brokerage firms wanting to close expat accounts, U.S. taxation and treasury reporting obligations, etc. 

Another thing worth mentioning. I recently read that unless the social security system makes a major adjustment, it will be forced to cut benefits significantly in the 2030s. It's hard to know whether that will come to pass, but if so, the problems mentioned here would be even more severe. 

Also, in the context here, I think it's worth mentioning that for lower income / lower wealth Americans, Thailand is one of only a few nations where they can legally formalize their retirement stays with visas. Wealthier people have many more choices of course. 

What are those lower financial qualifying nations?

Of the top of my head (not guaranteeing this list is error free) I think the list looks something like this:

Thailand

Cambodia

Nicaragua

Colombia

Costa Rica

Panama

Ecuador

Peru

Dominican Republic

Some may be surprised that Mexico is not on that list. The reason for that is that Mexico significantly raised their financial requirements. Yes, that could happen someday in Thailand too, and with retirement status only good for one year at a time, Thailand never offers really long term residence security in retirement (as some other nations do).

Given such a list, even with the long distance, it's not surprising that Thailand is pretty popular with Americans. Thailand does have a lot of attractions and you can get by in English if you're lazy or just can't learn a foreign language to save your life. 

Edited by Jingthing
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Just to clarify the income requirement for retirement legalization in Thailand is ZERO baht. Many people qualify based on bank account only or combination method. A social security check of 65K per month is well above average.

True 65,000/per month baht income is not an absolute requirement but can be used in lieu of the required 800,000 baht they want to see in your bank account

for a yearly extension

Which not surprising because divided by 12 months 800,000 is 66,666 baht

Edited by mania
2 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Biggest mistake expats have with their SS is thinking that when they die their Foreign wife will get part of their SS.  This is "ONLY" true if the wife has lived in the USA for a minimum of 5 years! Look it up. This is the reason I brought my wife back. In 5 years then we'll return....maybe.

Your wife probably has a green card then? If so highly recommend citizenship after 3 years.

Reason being she will not only be eligible for survivor benefits but can also get spousal benefits while your still alive

once she reaches 62 years of age

Plus of course the benefit of dual citizenship which for Thai/USA carries no penalties in either country

To clarify again, people should definitely not assume that all American expats have an income or spend at least 800K baht per year just because that is the Thai level. An expat may have an income of nothing, and use savings for the bank account and spend much less than 800K baht per year to live in Thailand. There is no requirement to spend or import that full amount every year. There are some nations that do require annual import of a set minimum amount annually for expat retirement status. Thailand is definitely NOT one of them. 

I'm posting this in detail because it is a totally false assumption to think that all American expats in Thailand actually have an income of at least 800K baht and would have at least that if repatriating. Many, many do not. Those with only social security checks as income mostly would not, not to mention those either not eligible yet or haven't made a s.s. claim yet based on timing choice.

Edited by Jingthing
12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To clarify again, people should definitely not assume that all American expats have an income or spend at least 800K baht per year just because that is the Thai level.

Yes I don't think anyone is confused as most of us have already lived in both places which is why we view the "Home Country Forum" section of Thai Visa

But as this is a thread about Pro's & Cons' of living in Thailand vs USA for older Americans it is important to note this requirement by Thai Immigration of having

800k Thai Baht/$25,361 USD in a Thai Bank or show you have 65k Thai Baht/ $2060 USD income per month has to be satisfied yearly to obtain a retirement visa 1 year extension

(Or roughly half these amounts if married to a Thai National)

How you go about that is your choice & yes you need no income to live in Thailand but...You need to satisfy the requirements for a Retirement Visa

Anyone comparing the two places will need to consider this Thai Immigration requirement for their yearly Visa Extensions

Edited by mania

Mentioned before the high cost of HOUSING in the USA. Of course older Americans living in their own home if paid off will have a big economic advantage. But still needing to pay a mortgage or rent the opposite. 

So how are older Americans doing on that? Not so good ...

https://www.housingwire.com/ext/resources/images/editorial/Kelsey-Ramirez/Folder-1/Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-10004-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-10004-PM.png

• Like 1