Thais - more good than bad

animalmagic

Below is a message I sent to HeijoshinCool in response to his tribute in this forum a few years ago.

'I still remember your wonderful tribute to Dooley and the love and care shown by your wife during his last days.  I shared this story with my wife who, it seems, must be closely related to yours!  A couple of weeks ago she spotted a dog, wearing a collar, near the local 7-11 that had obviously been severely injured in a car accident and then dumped by the owner to die in a strange location.

Several trips morning and night to feed and bathe the dog at the side of the road let us meet some caring Thai people who were also doing their best to make his final days less traumatic.  After a few days we met another nice Thai person who spent their time helping stray dogs even though she had numerous well cared for and socially adapted dogs at home, plus many cats; she took him in.  Whilst away on my last business trip 'Tiger' started showing signs of pain and she rang my wife who took him to the vets the next day where they confirmed several injuries but that he was otherwise sound.  Euthanasia seemed the best option and my wife made that decision, but looking in his eyes before the needle she couldn't do it.

We now have a lovely little dog pen complete with mosquito net and protection from the sun and rain where Tiger will spend his last days with love and affection from the pair of us; and our current horde of four dogs who all seem to accept him unquestioningly and spend much time visiting him.'