Nida polling chief quits over survey on Prawit scandal

webfact

1 minute ago, candide said:

I agree with you. My guess is that it is a symptom of the yellow internal power struggle between the Dems and the Junta.  The Dems are influent in the yellow network, i.e. the NIDA, TDRI, the Judiciary, media, etc... They were all united when it was about going against the reds, but the Junta will have a hard time struggling against the Dems.

Did you also not read.. the guy was just appointed here, from jayboy i expect such a thing.. you usually are a lot more careful in your comments. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Shooting your mouth off again without reading Jayboy.. how very like you did they not teach you to read articles carefully before commenting. Your a bit set in your opinions even though based on fantasy like this one

Well skewered and it's true that I only skim read The Nation's articles.

But still my main point holds.Someone who makes statements that he supported the coup and supports the Junta is not a model for society.Furthermore despite the recent appointment he may well have been very aware his action was in tune with the growing unhappiness of the Sino Thai urban middle class of which he is a member.He's obviously no fool and a quick search shows he has a genuinely impressive academic background.But role model....nah.

Just now, jayboy said:

Well skewered and it's true that I only skim read The Nation's articles.

But still my main point holds.Someone who makes statements that he supported the coup and supports the Junta is not a model for society.Furthermore despite the recent appointment he may well have been very aware his action was in tune with the growing unhappiness of the Sino Thai urban middle class of which he is a member.He's obviously no fool and a quick search shows he has a genuinely impressive academic background.But role model....nah.

Where did you get the information from that this guy supported the coup and so on ? I mean if you don't even read the article before putting your preconceived ideas there what proof do you have. 

Your to fast to shoot to have your bias confirmed.

Anyway I do find it admirable you fess up to your mistakes. Did not expect that. Makes debating better.

As for role models.. there are no role models in Thai politics.. almost all if not all are in it for themselves.. same goes for the army police whatever. 

33 minutes ago, robblok said:

Did you also not read.. the guy was just appointed here, from jayboy i expect such a thing.. you usually are a lot more careful in your comments. 

I read it. I agreed to the conclusion that this guy was far from being a model, not to all the information in the post. The guy himself states that he supports the coup and the Junta in the "other newspaper", so no more comment is needed!

Now tell me: how is it possible that this guy just finds out now that there are strong political influences on NIDA polls? We all know it since years (remember the polls with 90+% rates of approval), and he, as an insider, did not know it? Or is he coming from the moon?

The difference now is that political influences are not congruent any more. The Junta is pushing one way and the Dems the other way (until they reconciliate, maybe).

Edited by candide

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Where did you get the information from that this guy supported the coup and so on ? I mean if you don't even read the article before putting your preconceived ideas there what proof do you have. 

Now you were shooting too fast; from the article:

He added that he had supported the coup and government but

(paragrapgh 7)

Well, I don't think it matters much who says what about the junta because unless the 'plebs' show their disapproval nothing much will change. The junta will wriggle and just say there is unrest in the country and not appropriate for elections. I am sure resignations matter little to anyone here as the posts will soon be filled perhaps via the 'adjustment bureau'. It is difficult to comment on resignations since are usually circumstances that few of us know about and in this case 'additional circumstances', if you see what I mean.

Just now, Bob12345 said:

Now you were shooting too fast; from the article:

He added that he had supported the coup and government but

(paragrapgh 7)

mea culpa.. seems we both can be too fast. Though I don't see supporting the coup as any worse as many other things. In Thai politics they are all in it for themselves. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that he had supported the coup and government but if there were wrongdoing or injustice “I don’t have lick their [the military’s] boots”.

It's alright - everyone makes a bad judgement call. This was only the 19th coup. The next one will be better.

2 minutes ago, candide said:

I read it. I agreed to the conclusion that this guy was far from being a model, not to all the information in the post. The guy himself states that he supports the coup and the Junta in the OP, so no more comment is needed!

Now tell me: how is it possible that this guy just finds out now that there are strong political influences on NIDA polls? We all know it since years (remember the polls with 90+% rates of approval), and he, as an insider, did not know it? Or is he coming from the moon?

The difference now is that political influences are not congruent any more. The Junta is pushing one way and the Dems the other way (until they reconciliate, maybe).

The polls have always been politically tainted.. before the junta with PTP  (with dems too) in power. If you did not notice that before you were not paying attention. I have yet to see polls that don't reflect what the person polling them wants to show.  

1 minute ago, Darcula said:

It's alright - everyone makes a bad judgement call. This was only the 19th coup. The next one will be better.

Maybe who knows.. but tell me what political party / MP was not out there to enrich himself while in power ?. Is it not true they are all in it to get rich and once in power all want to remain there.. put their friends in places of power ?

what is there to argue about - this was just wrong, there is no other way of looking at it

The public cannot decide in a poll if someone is guilty or innocent, it would be like having a public poll on an ongoing murder trial .......................it is wrong and should never happen

I don't like this man for many reasons and I have my own opinion about  "watchgate", I do however have my doubts that the NACC will be acting in the public interest and be free from interference.  

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:
2 hours ago, mikebell said:

If only there were more like him.  I sense there is a change in the wind and more Thais are willing to stand up and be counted.

Some, but are they enough in numbers;  whole lot of non-thinking thais out there....

This kind of idiotic, baseless, mean, pretentious, arrogant and prejudiced little phrase is why I spend less and less time on this Forum.

A Thai person shows courage, forthrightness and intelligence, and your only reaction is to debase the entire nation. As if in other countries (pray name them) the majority of people actually used their brains...

For example the US, where one year ago a childish maniac was elected president ? Or the UK where a majority of 'thinking' citizens chose to quit the EU as if going backwards could solve all their problems (racism,bigotry and narrow-mindedness being on top of the list) ?

Your attitude is 'post-colonial' and utterly unpalatable. In line with 90% of the expats here, who regularly quote the Sun and the Daily Mirror as if they were reliable, serious media.

Just now, smedly said:

what is there to argue about - this was just wrong, there is no other way of looking at it

The public cannot decide in a poll if someone is guilty or innocent, it would be like having a public poll on an ongoing murder trial .......................it is wrong and should never happen

I don't like this man for many reasons and I have my own opinion about  "watchgate", I do however have my doubts that the NACC will be acting in the public interest and be free from interference.  

I would agree with you normally.. in a normal country, but here the chances the investigation of Prawit is done without bias is almost none. So putting pressure on him and the junta for a fair investigation is not a bad thing in my book. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would agree with you normally.. in a normal country, but here the chances the investigation of Prawit is done without bias is almost none. So putting pressure on him and the junta for a fair investigation is not a bad thing in my book. 

putting pressure for a fair investigation is not accomplished by a poll on his guilt or innocence, like I said previously, a public poll on the confidence they have in the NACC is an entirely different thing

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Anyway I do find it admirable you fess up to your mistakes. Did not expect that. Makes debating better.

As for role models.. there are no role models in Thai politics.. almost all if not all are in it for themselves.. same goes for the army police whatever. 

I don't want to humiliate you (well only a little bit) re his support for the coup but politely suggest you re-read the article.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

putting pressure for a fair investigation is not accomplished by a poll on his guilt or innocence, like I said previously, a public poll on the confidence they have in the NACC is an entirely different thing

Technically your right.. however how things work in Thailand is that pressure is needed to get an honest investigation.

But a poll on trust in the investigation would be better indeed. 

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

But they are not deciding if Prawit is guilty or not, they are asked if they BELIEVE his explanation.

No matter the outcome, his guilt will be determined on the evidence and not the results of a poll (at least, in a normal country).

As he is a minister and has a function in public office, his reliability is of the utmost importance.

Even if he is not guilty, but the people do not trust him anymore, he should still go.

This poll clearly shows that he should leave office, no matter if the watches were borrowed or not.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

The polls have always been politically tainted.. before the junta with PTP  (with dems too) in power. If you did not notice that before you were not paying attention. I have yet to see polls that don't reflect what the person polling them wants to show.  

That was not particularly my point. My point was that it is very unlikely, if not impossible) that this guy did not know it before starting his new job (we seem to agree on it).

And I think that this event may be a sign of the power struggle between the Junta and the Dems (this is my hypothesis).

(On your comment: I don't know all polling organisations in Thailand. But I know that NIDA and Bangkok Poll are definitely pro-yellow. I strongly doubt they had any pro-PTP bias.)

1 minute ago, candide said:

That was not particularly my point. My point was that it is very unlikely, if not impossible) that this guy did not know it before starting his new job (we seem to agree on it).

And I think that this event may be a sign of the power struggle between the Junta and the Dems (this is my hypothesis).

(On your comment: I don't know all polling organisations in Thailand. But I know that NIDA and Bangkok Poll are definitely pro-yellow. I strongly doubt they had any pro-PTP bias.)

You can doubt all you want.. but those in power always influence the polling. Sorry for breaking your reality. 

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

I agree with you in principle, but in this case, we all know what the result of the investigation will be, and that publishing a poll (or anything else) will not change the pre-determined outcome, ;)

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

You can doubt all you want.. but those in power always influence the polling. Sorry for breaking your reality. 

It is you who do not want to break your reality by acknowledging that there are political influences that are not necessarily governmental influences.

As concerns the two organisations I cited, which are the only two I know well, I would be ready to change my mind if you show me any poll with a pro-PTP bias. I have not seen any and I know from the inside why it is so.