A family's grief as man crushed to death by his own car while doing repairs

webfact

A family's grief as man crushed to death by his own car while doing repairs

8pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A peaceful Sunday in Nakorn Pathom was turned into horror for a family when a jack collapsed crushing a 43 year old man under his car.

Police in Kamphaeng Saen district went with foundation medics to a house in Thung Luuk Nok sub-district where they found Woraphon Kingthapluang in a pool of blood crushed under his red Mazda Astina.

Police said he liked to do his own repairs and he had jacked up his car to remove the wheel on the right front side, reported Thai Rath.

The jack that did not have an adequate supporting beam on its top collapsed and killed him.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-29

Sheer bad luck and before anyone starts going on about Thainess can you honestly say you have never taken a risk?. I will admit that in my youth and working on the old bangers that I could afford a couple of house bricks or a lump of wood supported many a car above my head.

Condolences to his family, a sad accident.

3 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Sheer bad luck and before anyone starts going on about Thainess can you honestly say you have never taken a risk?. I will admit that in my youth and working on the old bangers that I could afford a couple of house bricks or a lump of wood supported many a car above my head.

Me too.

40 minutes ago, ozziedave007 said:

Try finding car ramps, axle stands and floor jacks around here.....poor man.

They are available at HomePro, HomeWorks, Global House and most cities and big towns will have at least one place you can buy stuff like that.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

This also happened to me, a jack from the brand "Kinzo" was used.

Lucky i put the spare wheel under the chassis which saved me, but i never did it again that way.

I was going to post something similar I do exactly the same thing anywhere

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Me too.

I have learned from day one to never trust a jack by itself,wooden blocks are cheap and solid enough to give the needed support.

I have never gotten under a car or truck without adequate support.

Another sad case of mai pen rai.

19 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Very sad accident.
What I am curious over, is why he was under the car when he wanted to remove the wheel on the right front side?

He was inspecting the rubber breaklines for cracks, Thai do that several times a year because the UV-rays can damage them easy resulting in breaks failing to work when you need them the most.

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

Only last year, November. I lost my best mate at 43 to exactly the same thing. 

Shan owned a panel beating/spray painting business and had been a mechanic in a previous job so he was no rookie. 

Although no one will know the details he was working on his 2017 Mustang and somehow the jack collapsed dropping the vehicle on his head and chest. He was found by his partner. 

Regardless of the reasons an absolutely terrible way to go and a horrible thing for his family to see. RIP 

Edited by MadMuhammad

2 hours ago, ozziedave007 said:

The sad truth is that old wooden blocks or pieces of lumber would have worked fine to block the vehicle up. The part in the article about the jack not having an adequate support beam on it's top indicates that either an investigator or a reporter doesn't understand that correct safety measures require blocking and/or jack stands to prevent this type of thing.

My wife and I lost a Lao friend back in the states in a similar accident. My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends, that it could have been prevented makes it no less tragic. 

A Frenchman I knew was an experienced mechanic. He owned the biggest collection of Renault Alpine 110 parts in south eastern France. He got in the habit of using blocks of wood to support cars he worked on. With time, the blocks became soaked with
oil and were slippery. Slight movement caused the car to shift sideways and fall off the blocks killing the guy underneath.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Thian said:

He was inspecting the rubber breaklines for cracks, Thai do that several times a year because the UV-rays can damage them easy resulting in breaks failing to work when you need them the most.

Ummm.  The UV rays are going to damage the brake lines how exactly?  Did the poor guy park on his roof?

Maybe YOU have found the cause of the plague of mysterious brake failures in Thailand!

10 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Ummm.  The UV rays are going to damage the brake lines how exactly?  Did the poor guy park on his roof?

Maybe YOU have found the cause of the plague of mysterious brake failures in Thailand!

The weakest part of a hydraulic brakesystem is the rubber, the rubber hoses to the brakecilinders or the O-rings in the cilinders.....And the oil which is hygroscopic and has the be replaced in time.

But what do you think is causing the brakefailures in Thailand all the time? I'm always willing to learn....(and laugh).

31 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Familiarity breeds contempt, no safety culture here to minimise risk, Darwin claims another victim, RIP.

I was always told never to speak ill of the dead. By the way, most Thais are Buddhist and are incarnated, so your poor attempt at compassion, RIP, makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Familiarity breeds contempt, no safety culture here to minimise risk, Darwin claims another victim, RIP.

It's also caused by very (cheap) bad tools from China....and quality tools are extreme expensive plus hard to find.

And the Thai have never learned how to work safe, sure this guy could have used his spare tire under the chassis for safety but maybe he didn't care or has never learned to do that.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Unfortunately Ray, Darwin has nothing to do with this tragedy as the poor guy who lost his life had already added to the gene pool "as he had children.

To qualify, ....... "They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization by their own actions. "

A jack is a means to lift an object vertically, it should not, for safety reasons , be used as the sole means of support. This was the case here.   

8 hours ago, ozziedave007 said:

There's a clown in my neighborhood that does the same thing and leaves it unattended for days at a time.  I'm only waiting for the day something similar happens.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

But what do you think is causing the brakefailures in Thailand all the time? I'm always willing to learn....(and laugh).

In all the many decades of driving I've never had to replace any brake lines due to failure.  If anything I'd say the bigger cause of failure would be worn brake pads and lines not bled properly of air.  Possibly faulty brake cylinder in which case you needn't scurry around underneath to find that out.  I've changed many sets in my own garage and always used ramps, chocks, floorjack, etc.  because I'm allergic to this thing called "death".  Being pancaked to the floor by an automobile would be no fun.  Having my family find me thusly would be unacceptable.

Edited by InnerCynic

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I was always told never to speak ill of the dead. By the way, most Thais are Buddhist and are incarnated, so your poor attempt at compassion, RIP, makes no sense.

As much as you believe offering compassion makes no sense, I feel similarly about reincarnation. 

12 hours ago, Thian said:

Brake lines aren't and never have been rubber, Years ago they were often copper, nowadays various alloys but most commonly stainless steel