Denied entry at Suvarnabhumi Airport

20 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Thai immigration does not have direct access to any other countries immigration or national security databases.  Likewise, other countries do not have access to Thai immigration or security databases.  Information is shared on a need to know basis, as and when appropriate and this is normally done via diplomatic channels.

I suspect, that on this occasion the IO just threw the question ‘out of the blue’.  When the passenger answered yes, the next obvious question would have been what offence(s) you were convicted of.  Depending upon the answer, the IO would have referred the matter to a senior officer for further investigation and a decision regarding entry.

FYI – The Immigration Act B.E. 2522, Section 12 states:  Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom:

Section 12(6) states:  Having been imprisoned by the judgement of the Thai Court; or by a lawful injunction; or by the judgement of the Court of foreign country, except when the penalty is for a petty offense or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.

Section 12(7).   Having behaviour which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

Section 12(8).   Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution, the trading of woman of children, drug smuggling, or other types of smuggling which are contrary to the public morality.

Without additional information it is impossible to say why the IO made the decision to refuse entry.

So if someone has an sexual assault record, can they apply to be allowed in? We have been invited to a wedding and my brother did time in 2005 for sexual assault as claimed by his ex-girlfriend (Adult) No other records and no convictions since. Would you think it would be wise for him to visit the Thai Embassy in Australia before booking a plane ticket. He has never had a passport before so I do not know if this would of been put into the Interpol system or not.  Is that above info for tourist or people wishing to live/work there or for everyone??

8 minutes ago, dennis D said:

So if someone has an sexual assault record, can they apply to be allowed in? We have been invited to a wedding and my brother did time in 2005 for sexual assault as claimed by his ex-girlfriend (Adult) No other records and no convictions since. Would you think it would be wise for him to visit the Thai Embassy in Australia before booking a plane ticket. He has never had a passport before so I do not know if this would of been put into the Interpol system or not.  Is that above info for tourist or people wishing to live/work there or for everyone??

Apparently the USA puts sexual offenders on a watchlist and puts this information in the passport. How about Australia?

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Apparently the USA puts sexual offenders on a watchlist and puts this information in the passport. How about Australia?

No idea because I have never had a record and my brother has never had a passport. He has applied and is waiting. My old passport has nothing on it about police records but I need a new one as it has not been used for many years.

10 hours ago, thrilled said:

Something’s wrong.I have been going to Thailand since 1971 and have never had 

immigration ask me about my past.As far as I know they don’t ask anyone.

Could be they were just trying to trip im up and he fell for it - maybe that was just their lucky day.

3 hours ago, JaiDeeMakh said:

He "say's" he was 18 at the time, and she was 16 and used a fake ID.

Very possible.  There are thousands of men whose lives have been ruined this way. 

A sane system would consider the age-difference, not just "he is adult" (even if barely) + "she is a minor" (even if close to his age) = "freak-pervert-pedo" - but that's how the system works, currently, in many states.

His best bet would be to appeal to have the conviction expunged from his record, based on no re-offenses of this type, or other criminal activity, in the past 25 years.  Unfortunately, no one wants to look "weak on pedos," so it will be an uphill battle.

50 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

A sane system would consider the age-difference, not just "he is adult" (even if barely) + "she is a minor" (even if close to his age) = "freak-pervert-pedo" - but that's how the system works, currently, in many states.

Some jurisdictions have what is referred to as the "Romeo and Juliet law" whereby if she is underage (say, 15 in a country where the age of consent is 16) but he is also young (say, 16, 17, 18 etc) then there are no charges....which strikes me as eminently sensible.

• Like 1

Very possible.  There are thousands of men whose lives have been ruined this way. 

His best bet would be to appeal to have the conviction expunged from his record, based on no re-offenses of this type, or other criminal activity, in the past 25 years.  Unfortunately, no one wants to look "weak on pedos," so it will be an uphill battle.

Nobody wants to look weak on Paedos?

Why then is there always so much sympathy for nonces from the Thai Visa Forum community on these threads?

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Nobody wants to look weak on Paedos?

Why then is there always so much sympathy for nonces from the Thai Visa Forum community on these threads?

Politically - all matters such as this in the USA are inherently political.  If the guy's story was true, and it was 18yo / 16yo, he should not be on a 'sex-pervert' list.  Maybe he is lying - who knows.

I had a friend of a friend (yes, really - didn't know him personally) who turned 18 and went to jail for his long-term relationship with his 16 yo gf, so not the first time I've heard of this happening in the USA.

I don't know about other posts/scenarios in threads.  I'm almost 50, and wife almost 40, so don't have a dog in this fight. 

Reminds me of me in Canada; crossing the border from the U.S. (driving), the Canadian Immigration haphazardly asked me if I had ever been arrested; I said no thinking they meant during the last 7 years prior to the statute of limitations expiring (if Canada has one) (I'm U.S.); They then pointed out that I had been arrested for assault of a bar bouncer (self defense) and put in jail for the night. Later, I the charge was dropped and I was acquitted. Nevertheless, the record and incident remained despite that it was self defense and dropped and happened 10 years prior to the border crossing. They let me cross after my explanation. 

On 1/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

Because they were looking at his name and dob in the database which had a conviction associated with it would be my guess.

If it was that easy it would be done to everyone and 1000's of people would be getting turned away every month.

The notion that "They know everything" is, to an extent, a propaganda exercise (with the collusion of Hollywood and the general media) to subtly coerce the people of the "free" world into passivity and compliance.

It runs in conjunction with "Our system can fix everything " and "We can create a technological Eden".

How's that for "conspiracy"?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1