Apartment owner charging 800 baht to replace old toilet seat

KarlosInBKK

When we moved into our Condo had a problem with the fridge 

had the technicians check it out and they said better to get it replaced as repair was expensive 

The Condo owner replaced the fridge with a new one no problem proberly cost about 10000 baht

if I have to replace a toilet seat I would pay myself  same I did replacing old shower sink pipes cost   with parts and  labour about 800 baht 

not worth losing sleep over a few baht 

think of the big picture

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

if it was a hotel or a short stay condo, you might reason wear and tear for the responsibility of the owner. 
But in this case you are a long term renter, in my opinion, responsibility for those kind of small damages are with the renter, just like with standard rental agreements in the west. 
800 baht might sound a lot for Thai but compared to western prices still very low.

He said he lives in a serviced apartment, that's nearly like a hotel. If you rent a hotel room for a year you would be ok to replace the toilet seat just because you stay there for a year? :P

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

He said he lives in a serviced apartment, that's nearly like a hotel. If you rent a hotel room for a year you would be ok to replace the toilet seat just because you stay there for a year? :P

You might have to, otherwise you would have nothing to go on...

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

I said if it was a hotel..........owner.

Missed the part it was a serviced apartment.

I am now 53 years old and have never seen a toilet seat broken because of its age. In my life toilet seats were only broken because someone has use it wrong and stand or seat on the lid.

And then the one who broke it has to pay a new one!!!

5 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

That's not the point.

He is then establishing a precedent and what next....... new door, cistern, bath, kitchen? 

Ah yes, the principle of the matter! So he's going to go war over an 800 baht toilet seat, in a country where there are few consumer protection laws and where it takes ten years to get a case heard in civil court, all of which will incur legal fees starting at around 30k. 

Of course, he could always just stand his ground and refuse to pay and see where that gets him, that in a country where money is held in very high esteem by locals hence he should expect some form of physical retaliation.

I put it to you that the OP hasn't even remotely begun to think through the issue and neither have you!

I must have a very good landlord, because I have never been asked to fix anything for 8 years. His agent/handyman fixes it free every time.

If I broke something, I would expect to pay for it myself. If it's normal wear and tear, no.

If it bugs the OP so much, he should think about moving out. I would be weighing up 800 baht ( or the cost of doing it myself ) against the inconvenience of moving.

I think the expression I am looking for is storm in a teacup.

59 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Ah yes, the principle of the matter! So he's going to go war over an 800 baht toilet seat, in a country where there are few consumer protection laws and where it takes ten years to get a case heard in civil court, all of which will incur legal fees starting at around 30k. 

Of course, he could always just stand his ground and refuse to pay and see where that gets him, that in a country where money is held in very high esteem by locals hence he should expect some form of physical retaliation.

I put it to you that the OP hasn't even remotely begun to think through the issue and neither have you!

Don't patronise me .... I have lived in Thailand and know full well how this despicable country works. A police force and legal system rotten with corruption and fraud to the very core. All ruled over by a military dictatorship. Note the past tense in "lived". 

Yes, he should refuse to pay. What do you think the owner will do....call the thugs in brown? Evict him?  Have him "sorted" all for 800 baht? 

Rubbish.

If not directly then just withhold it on the last month's rent. 

Yes...it is about principle. If you bothered to read through my post you just might have seen this is the thin edge of the wedge. 

10 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Don't patronise me .... I have lived in Thailand and know full well how this despicable country works. A police force and legal system rotten with corruption and fraud to the very core. All ruled over by a military dictatorship. Note the past tense in "lived". 

Yes, he should refuse to pay. What do you think the owner will do....call the thugs in brown? Evict him?  Have him "sorted" all for 800 baht? 

Rubbish.

If not directly then just withhold it on the last month's rent. 

Yes...it is about principle. If you bothered to read through my post you just might have seen this is the thin edge of the wedge. 

Too funny, far too funny.

For most people, I imagine there's a point in the financial spectrum where it becomes realistic to make a stand, a few thousand baht, ten thousand or maybe more.........but 800 baht, it's barking, woof!

I live now 9 years in a rented 2 bedroom appartement. My Chinese landlady replaced

1 bahttub

2 aircons

1 hotplate by an ELectrolux ceramic hotplate with 4 burner 

2 faucet  

She paid for the repair of1 refrigirator en 2 times the laundry machine

2 toiler seats I replaced by myself for the total price of 500 Baht.

After the first 5 year lease, we just verbally agreed to extend the lease  without a time limit.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, dp4868 said:

In the real world the owner would be responsible, but this is Thailand and getting an owner to do any maintenance is almost impossible. (money only flows one way) Why don't you go and buy a cheap replacement that you can use and put the broken one back when you move out. 

Perfect answer......had the same carry on with my apartment owner over the bum wash hose...it had split and was leaking....apartment owner said 750b to replace...I went to Tesco bought a similar one for 299b....left the apartment 2 years later...put the split hose back on....... petty No! Its a matter of  principle...the hose had split because of "fair wear and tear"....something unheard of in Thailand it seems when renting an apartment.......or a jet ski...!!!!!

On 1/29/2018 at 2:20 PM, keithpa said:

Correct me if Im wrong. If 2 weeks overdue in rent, landlord can order eviction, this can take at least 2 more weeks to implement. No more security deposit to worry about.

Nice theory, does it actually work like that?

What if the landlord locks the door quick smart and you can't get access to your clothes, belongings, documents etc?

What does the contract say about responsibility for minor problems?

On 1/29/2018 at 2:20 PM, keithpa said:

Correct me if Im wrong. If 2 weeks overdue in rent, landlord can order eviction, this can take at least 2 more weeks to implement. No more security deposit to worry about.

Nice theory, does it actually work like that?

What if the landlord locks the door quick smart and you can't get access to your clothes, belongings, documents etc?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Beats56 said:

Our seat broke and tap at the sink was leaking. Wife told the landlady and she brought the replacement parts and said they would send someone to fix it. Told her no need I can do it.

Cripes you guys the toilet seat only requires two plastic wing nuts to secure it. A kid could do it. The tap was bit harder as nut wouldn't turn. A couple of hard raps on the tap and rotten metal broke right off. Replaced the new hardware and Bob's your uncle.

You wouldn't be so chipper about it if they'd used steel instead of brass for the fitting that comes out of the wall for the tap, and it rusted and broke off flush. Have to smash the wall back to replace the fitting at the pipe, then plaster and new tiles. I've been there, done that.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You wouldn't be so chipper about it if they'd used steel instead of brass for the fitting that comes out of the wall for the tap, and it rusted and broke off flush. Have to smash the wall back to replace the fitting at the pipe, then plaster and new tiles. I've been there, done that.

No didn't have touch that nut only the one connected to the tap.