South Africans are obsessed with Thailand

webfact

South Africans are obsessed with Thailand

TRAVEL WRITER

620x349.jpg

The number of South African holidaymakers to Thailand increased 17,8% last year. Picture: Pexels.

Stats reveal that more South Africans are travelling to Thailand.

According to the marketing representative for the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Lesley Simpson, the number of South African holidaymakers to Thailand increased 17,8% last year.

From almost 80 000 the previous year, the numbers have increased to 93 000.

“TAT South Africa’s objective this past year has been to target different markets to encourage holidaymakers to return Thailand,” she said.

Full story:  https://www.iol.co.za/travel/travel-news/south-africans-are-obsessed-with-thailand-13007861

-- IOL 2018-01-31

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, wakeupplease said:

South Africa one of the worlds most dangerous country's to visit as facts prove. love it here as they feel at home

Why don't you try to persuade them to visit Worcester? I'm sure they'll love the beaches, turquoise sea and balmy weather.

Thats great. Hope they didnt catch wind of cheap deals therefore in reality the revenue raised here would be less than the previous year? Considering the obvious lack of tourists in many destinations despite claims of increased numbers im wondering if thats not really anything to write about? The more tourists i speak to the more they seem to be just here for a couple days and passing on to other border countries where as many years ago most tourists were here for a few weeks at a time more so or am i just imagining that.

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

South Africa one of the worlds most dangerous country's to visit as facts prove. love it here as they feel at home

Try being white and walking through many places there even in daylight. Or any race group in most places after dark.

How many places here do you find threatening at any time of day.? Absolutely no comparison between the two.

14 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

course he isn't. he misses it so much he has to be on a thai forum everyday. come back! wake up please, this is your home. the UK is shit, you know it 555

He fears for his safety in Thailand .

Way too dangerous ..........................

Just now, sanemax said:

He fears for his safety in Thailand .

Way too dangerous ..........................

i rarely leave the house i worry so much for my safety here 5555

oh no, that was just the rain, not my safety after all

Edited by Happy enough

As someone who lived in Southern Africa as a child I feel very comfortable here and even from day on back in 2004 it was as though I had been here before.

Thailand and Southern Africa share many similarities, every where I go I see fruits that I ate as a child, Trees and plants that we had in our gardens and veg in the markets that we also ate.

The familiar brings comfort which then mixes with the more exotic to excite. Even the snakes here have several species I knew as a kid.

1 minute ago, tolsti said:

As someone who lived in Southern Africa as a child I feel very comfortable here and even from day on back in 2004 it was as though I had been here before.

Thailand and Southern Africa share many similarities, every where I go I see fruits that I ate as a child, Trees and plants that we had in our gardens and veg in the markets that we also ate.

The familiar brings comfort which then mixes with the more exotic to excite. Even the snakes here have several species I knew as a kid.

how cute. last year i found a snake outside my house and ran like a girl 555. turns out it wasn't poisonous but i had no idea

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i rarely leave the house i worry so much for my safety here 5555

I dont even feel safe in my own house .

I found a 10 foot python hiding in my toilet , Immigration officers came around my house and demanded to see my passport , my neighbors dog attacked my chickens and my girlfriend left this morning taking my new television with her , all that and its not even dinnertime yet

In eight years I never saw a snake in South Africa. Or Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, or Swaziland or anywhere. I do not doubt that they were there. Seen a few here though, mainly small ones but twice very long and large things.

On the subject of Cape Coloureds I know two that are planning a long stay here this year, Phuket seems to be the only place that interests them. I get the impression that that is where the more "mature" ones head for.

But THAI could make their direct service from Jo'burg to Bkk profitable! They have withdrawn twice in five years so all the SA tourists go via Gulf carriers or SQ. 

TG simply dumped their seats via tour operators and filled Business class with freeloading Thais. Not a formula for survival.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe they feel at home with the number of black prostitutes and drug dealers hanging around now ? 

Could be. They should also stay away from white murderers, kiddy diddlers and the non bathing white crowd. A lot of these hanging around now.