Stolen wallets

Beechboy

There seems to be an epidemic of men (Scandinavian by the sound of it) who have lost money this way.

Don't fall for it. I've had three in the last two days ... on Sukhumvit 11.

They are after your money.

No need for replies to this post  just helping those unaware.

Maybe they had lost or had there money stolen.

But I was asked for money by a dutch man on  Sukhumvit 19 a few weeks ago. He told me he needed money for a bus ticket and was desperate. Like a soft lad I gave him ฿500, the next day he stopped me and asked me again with the same story.

Some farangs are no different to the alcoholics wondering around our village begging for 10 for a shot of whisky.

No matter where you are and what you do, there's always be people trying to con you

for your money and play on you good nature, it's up to the individual to decide at that

moment who he'she want to go, give or not give.....

2 hours ago, mick220675 said:

He told me he needed money for a bus ticket and was desperate. Like a soft lad I gave him ฿500,

500 baht on a bus can go a long way - far too generous but up to you.......

A good way to see if you are dealing with a conman is to offer to buy the bus ticket. If one is in true desperate need, he or she will take on your offer. Since the actual bus ticket is useless for the conman, he/she will refuse your offer and only ask for cash. As you have offered help but were refused, it is easy to walk away.

Edited by koo
typo

46 minutes ago, koo said:

A good way to see if you are dealing with a conman is to offer to buy the bus ticket

As you have offered help but were refused, it is easy to walk away.

Even easier to just walk away without all the investigation. He might next appear at the bus station trying to flog the ticket at a "discount." 

For most farang the fear of handing over a few baht to someone comes down to being (a) tightwads or (b) the potential loss of face if they find out that they believed some fairy tale.

If you want to give money do it. If not, don't. If you're old enough to travel to Thailand without mom and dad holding your hand, surely you've come across people with hard luck stories wherever you've traveled or lived before and have a policy regarding what to do.

If the guy is standing on the street trying to cadge cash, he probably needs it. Whether or not he deserves it is another matter. He may spend the "bus ticket money" for a visit to a pub. Who cares? Once you hand it over it's his money to do with as he pleases. If that keeps you awake at night worrying, then walk on by.

If you're hell bent on playing Santa Claus, there are Thai charities that would be grateful for your donations and then you can go about with a warm glow all day, boring people with tales of your generosity.

Edited by Suradit69

I tell them it’s time to go home and get a real job.

Tell them to go to your embassy and they will help you if you

are really down on your luck.

Same as with the Asians that are panhandling.

last year it was in the Bangkok Post that most of them

were Lao, Vietnam, and Cambodian, all run by

the Thai Mafia.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Even easier to just walk away without all the investigation. He might next appear at the bus station trying to flog the ticket at a "discount." 

For most farang the fear of handing over a few baht to someone comes down to being (a) tightwads or (b) the potential loss of face if they find out that they believed some fairy tale.

If you want to give money do it. If not, don't. If you're old enough to travel to Thailand without mom and dad holding your hand, surely you've come across people with hard luck stories wherever you've traveled or lived before and have a policy regarding what to do.

If the guy is standing on the street trying to cadge cash, he probably needs it. Whether or not he deserves it is another matter. He may spend the "bus ticket money" for a visit to a pub. Who cares? Once you hand it over it's his money to do with as he pleases. If that keeps you awake at night worrying, then walk on by.

If you're hell bent on playing Santa Claus, there are Thai charities that would be grateful for your donations and then you can go about with a warm glow all day, boring people with tales of your generosity.

But what if she is a beautiful Farang Lady, long Blonde Hair crying her eyes out wearing a very low cut top and she says, please Sir can you help me, what then ? please advise :   :cheesy:

15 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

But what if she is a beautiful Farang Lady, long Blonde Hair crying her eyes out wearing a very low cut top and she says, please Sir can you help me, what then ? please advise :   :cheesy:

I'd ask her what she would do for me in return..............:clap2:

a south african chap tried that on me in Pattaya, said he was waiting for some funds being sent to his account and could i loan him money and he would pay me back as soon as the funds arrived. a cashier i know at a bar saw me chatting to him and asked me afterwards if the SA had asked for money, she said he had been doing it for a couple of days. I gave him zero for the sob story

Usually, if a down and out person asks me for money I'll give him or her 100 Baht.  It's not enough to miss and there is no doubt they need it.  I do the same thing in the United States only I give them $5.00.  You should see the look on their faces.

8 hours ago, topt said:

500 baht on a bus can go a long way - far too generous but up to you.......

4 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

500 Baht for a bus??

There are buses almost everywhere in Bangkok for under 20 Baht!!

What a stupid answer, Ronnie.

He clearly wanted to get the bus back to Scandinavia, and that's a lot more than 20 baht!!

Maybe even more than 500...??

He clearly needs a GoFundMe page...

2 hours ago, exemplary21 said:

What a stupid answer, Ronnie.

He clearly wanted to get the bus back to Scandinavia, and that's a lot more than 20 baht!!

Maybe even more than 500...??

He clearly needs a GoFundMe page...

To be fair to me 500 could have got him a quick trip to a BJ bar.