When Farangs Go Native

webfact

9 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

The farang kee ngok you hear is nothing to do with bird or shit, as many beginners of Thai wrongly think.

Absolutely it is a prefix like in keekiat/lazy ,keeleum/absent minded, keeai/shy,  and many traits of character.

So nothing to do with the kee excrement, like the many kee nok on your car or the kee kwai in which you have just walked :smile:

•  

Actually the 'kee' used as a prefix for a noun (aka 'kee nok') does mean 'shit'.

The 'kee' used as a prefix for a verb/adjective translates as 'person who xxxx excessively'.

with noun

kee nok = bird poop

kee maa = dog poop

with verb (or maybe adjective)

kee maow = drunk (person who drinks excessively)

kee kiat = person who is excessively lazy

Difference is prefix for NOUN or VERB ..... got it?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

17 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I would agree that may appropriate for you, but I'm very white, old, wise, rich and educated.

(not to mention hansum)

But I acknowledge that all of those attributes are accidents of being born to the right parents, into the right country.

Except for the hansum part.  Truth be told, I'm butt ugly.  Though my parents were pretty attractive people.

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Actually the 'kee' used as a prefix for a noun (aka 'kee nok') does mean 'shit'.

The 'kee' used as a prefix for a verb translates as 'person who xxxx excessively'.

kee nok = bird poop

kee is not always negative and can mean other things apart from doing something excessively. 

kee fong, kee klaat, kee glaeng, kee now etc. More of just showing a personality trait. 

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If they're being called stingy, it's ngok.

My (shouldn't be  :shock1:  ) wife tells me that gnok is used for someone who is covetous,greedy, unwilling to share, always wanting more ? I suppose stingy does fit in with those descriptions.

I would use  Kee Neiow for stingy.

9 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

In short, who gives a khee what anyone else thinks?  Do whatever makes you happy, just don't expect an entire country to adapt its ways for you.

If they want my money, they have to adapt.

Adapt or don't get paid .........

• Like 1

So, in an exchange like that, which farang has gone native? 

Is it the one who returns a greeting with a reciprocal greeting- like they would back home, or the one who returns a greeting with a gesture that indicates they know they're of a higher status than the person who waied them?  (Edit: which would be considered quite the snub back home, BTW)

Now, that's going native...  And not in a good way.

I work in retail here and there. Some customers think they should get respect because I am only a salesperson. I give them respect but still think they are a- holes. I live with a Thai family out of town without much farung contact. They are nice to me but deep down, because I am a foreigner I am sure I am at the bottom of their social order. The OP might think he is above the shop person but deep down they probably think he is just another farung with no social status.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

I work in retail here and there. Some customers think they should get respect because I am only a salesperson. I give them respect but still think they are a- holes. I live with a Thai family out of town without much farung contact. They are nice to me but deep down, because I am a foreigner I am sure I am at the bottom of their social order. The OP might think he is above the shop person but deep down they probably think he is just another farung with no social status.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"they probably think he is just another farung with no social status..."  like a retail clerk?

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

The 'kee' used as a prefix for a verb/adjective translates as 'person who xxxx excessively'.

with noun

kee nok = bird poop

kee maa = dog poop

with verb (or maybe adjective)

kee kiat = person who is excessively lazy

Difference is prefix for NOUN or VERB ..... got it?

I have said:

Absolutely it is a prefix like in keekiat/lazy ,keeleum/absent minded, keeai/shy,  and many traits of character.

So nothing to do with the kee excrement, like the many kee nok on your car or the kee kwai in which you have just walked :smile:

Then you repeated the same explanation and asked me got it? Mykaodjy:smile: 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I cannot even begin to describe how much I cringe when I see foreigners waiing everyone from supermarket cashiers to restaurant waiters, fish mongers in the wet market to go-go dancers, totally convinced that staying in the kingdom for a couple of months has made them "native" and that they're doing the right thing.

Do you really see this?? Really!?. Its been years since I have seen anything like that and it would have been in tourist central Chiang Mai or Pattaya.

Here is one for you who pay attention, local radio jocks and internet sites had a thing 4 or 5 years ago now, urging listners TO NOT speak thai with farangs who speak thai. Yep you heard me. Instead they were told to not speak, write down an answer on paper, or with basic yes or no response. IE don't talk with them.. 

That to people who speak their language. So don't get the idea your appreciated in many circles, just because you are not joe tourist and know something about Thailand. 

If you don't know this by now, you should.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Of course, I'm sure the vast majority of us here as tourists automatically made our best attempt at a wai, when receiving a wai!

It's called 'being polite' - when unaware of the countries' culture and customs.

Who knows.  Can't speak for others when they first came as tourists.  I never did.  But, I'm me.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I cannot even begin to describe how much I cringe when I see foreigners waiing everyone from supermarket cashiers to restaurant waiters, fish mongers in the wet market to go-go dancers, totally convinced that staying in the kingdom for a couple of months has made them "native" and that they're doing the right thing.

Even worse are those fellas I occasionally bump into at a bar,  those who think they have matured into genuine "Thailand experts" by spending two short vacations here and who feel compelled to start lecturing me about the Thai way of life, what to do and what not to do and who brag about their fantastic Thai-language skills (usually consisting of a few disjointed and wrongly pronounced words), and who are entirely ignorant of the fact that I've been living here for well over a quarter of a century, speak the local language almost fluently, and yes, know when, how and whom to wai. Brrrrr... shudder.

LOL. We are aligned on the cringe when "seeing silly tourists giving wais to people they shouldn't". I have to resist the impulse to run over and slap them a few times.

One of my less than pleasurable occasions was on a train on the last ( immobile ) leg of the journey into Hua Lumpung when a particularly obnoxious farang lectured some unfortunate Thai as to the failings of the Thai Rail system, given he ( the farang ) knew so much about Thai railways ( not )

Happens even with those that should know better. I've met farang business owners been here long enough to know better that think certain "elements" of Thai authority can do no wrong, despite any evidence to the contrary. I guess on some the saffron glasses stay in place.

21 hours ago, DM07 said:

There is nothing wrong with accepting certain trades and being generally a nice person.

What I hate are the Thai'er -than- Thai, who will blindly find excuses for every $4!tty behavior.

An a-hole is an a-hole, no matter Thai, farang or Thai'er-than-Thai and despicable behavior does not become "better" because it is a local way of life!

I read this and am totally ashamed of myself!!! Just bussed back to ChiangRai from MaeSai with a fat, tattooed, black sunglassed and baseball-capped  falang who had his arm resting on his pack beside him--the only unoccupied seat on the bus. Three feet away was a small hill tribe lady struggling unsuccessfully with an infant in her arms. After a good while, it took the ticket collector to ask him to move his bag and give the lady and kid the seat.

I am ashamed, because I'm one of your "Thai'er -than- Thai" folks because I had this incredible urged to punch this bag of excrement in his cool-dude white face, not realizing, of course,  that if I had the wisdom and experience of long-timers here, or especially the wisdom of these TV strings, I would realize this behaviour is no worse than among Thais themselves. .....probably worse....and me with my scant experience here is unqualified to make a judgement.

And no, have never yet seen this done by a Thai (and would have the similar urge if it did)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Of course, I'm sure the vast majority of us here as tourists automatically made our best attempt at a wai, when receiving a wai!

It's called 'being polite' - when unaware of the countries' culture and customs.

Speak for yourself. Even back in the stone age of pre internet, I knew not to wai due to the intricacies of it that we for the most part will never understand. It's hardly the equivalent of shaking hands, which is something the ''wai aficionados" don't understand.

A smile and a nod/ slight bow are all the acknowledgement needed.

8 minutes ago, johnhw said:

I am ashamed, because I'm one of your "Thai'er -than- Thai" folks because I had this incredible urged to punch this bag of excrement in his cool-dude white face, not realizing, of course,  that if I had the wisdom and experience of long-timers here, or especially the wisdom of these TV strings, I would realize this behaviour is no worse than among Thais themselves. .....probably worse....and me with my scant experience here is unqualified to make a judgement.

And no, have never yet seen this done by a Thai (and would have the similar urge if it did)

If you were as Thai as me, you would treat hill tribe people worse than Mr. Tattoo. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, johnhw said:

I read this and am totally ashamed of myself!!! Just bussed back to ChiangRai from MaeSai with a fat, tattooed, black sunglassed and baseball-capped  falang who had his arm resting on his pack beside him--the only unoccupied seat on the bus. Three feet away was a small hill tribe lady struggling unsuccessfully with an infant in her arms. After a good while, it took the ticket collector to ask him to move his bag and give the lady and kid the seat.

I understand your outrage at the scumbag farang that prevented a woman with baby in arms sitting, but what I don't understand is why you couldn't have asked him yourself to remove it. If a millennial, he probably just didn't realise what a tool he was being.

Speaking of incredible urges to..................., one of my pet hates in LOS is the practice of Thais to allow small children to occupy seats on public transport while adults stand.