When Farangs Go Native

webfact

1 minute ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I said nothing about your wife and didn't know she wasn't Thai.

yes you did!

Not making any attempt to learn, even if you are a tourist, is madness, total madness.

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Wow. You think the teachers at a village school should speak English with you? I wonder what they think of you, and as for your MIL, I wonder what your kid thinks about you being unable to converse with his grandmother. Sorry, but I find this very sad, especially for your kids. Imagine if you were at school and your friends found out one of your parents was illiterate.

Btw, what 'source' are you on about that you want in Thai? 

I suggest you re read the thread.

I have both mentioned the source and what I think of village schools. If you bothered to keep up your posts would start to actually make a bit of sense and be more relevant.

Selfish, lazy, feel sorry....From memory in this very thread you believe true fluency can be achieved in 6 months. I apologise if I don't take a whole lot of what you say to heart too much. 

My kids probably will understand that grandmother didn't have chances in her early life so cannot speak an exceptional level of her language. Her daughter did, and ranked second highest in the whole country. They will probably then realise the vast differences in conversations that are able to be had due to these factors. That will allow them to understand why their father, who understands to reach a satisfying level of language, would mean quitting his job, leaving them behind for years and moving to one of the top universities in the country. I don't think they will question why he decided to spend the time with them focusing on their development rather than his own because a ThaiVisa member told him to.

As a result of having critical thinking skills (which most Thai's don't have) and basic morals, they will love everyone equally as they understand the situation and everyone gets along just fine with different forms of communication. Not sure what direction your moral compass is pointing, but if it needs to point in a direction so negative that it makes you feel better about yourself then maybe you should be feeling more sorry for people closer to home. 

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That's the only way I've got laid in my entire life (I did get a couple of free ones when I was 19, but that was an anomaly).

Are you claiming you don't have to pay? (maybe you're not as choosy as me).

Once again, you talking about sex .

Everyday , I seem to read on TV your commentary on your sex life and the history of when you had sex and with whom and how much it cost .

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Says on my passport 'non-immigrant', why should I learn a language that only 30% of the Thai population speak as a 1st language.

Although I do dispute your figure that 70 % of Thais speak Thai as a second language , it makes no difference because even when Thai is their second language , they still speak Thai fluently 

11 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

That will allow them to understand why their father, who understands to reach a satisfying level of language, would mean quitting his job, leaving them behind for years and moving to one of the top universities in the country. 

Dude, you live in a village, surrounded by Thais. You don't need to go to university, or quit your job to learn a language. 

15 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Dude, you live in a village, surrounded by Thais. You don't need to go to university, or quit your job to learn a language. 

Again, re read the thread. The conversation of how much time needs to be put into learning a language to a satisfying enough level for many has already been discussed. 

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Everyday , I seem to read on TV your commentary on your sex life and the history of when you had sex and with whom and how much it cost .

God, yes, sex... I'm sure I had that once...

I don’t need to speak or understand Thai to know that the road rash on my fil’s forehead and nose means he got drunker than usual and crashed his motorbike not meters before reaching home, again. My observational skills are acute as an English only resident.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:31 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Many of us expats do have a learning difficulty. It's called age related hearing loss and prevents one learning a tonal language.

Perhaps you are young and like all young people don't understand that age does change things. Anyway, everyone gets old and gains hearing and vision defects.

then learn to read and write it instead - that helps tremendously with learning the tones as well. มึง

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 12:05 AM, Neeranam said:

If love to spend some time in a village talking with the locals.

There so much I could learn from them.

Yes, but it would be useless knowledge, unless you find value in learning how to engage in horribly inefficient farming practices or brew/distill your own blindness-inducing alcohol.  there's a very good reason for the political divide between bangkok and the rest of the country, especially the northeast.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

Yes, the racial distribution is still the same, but governments after 1914 removed Lao from the census forms as it was considered 'divisive'.

I doubt that Chinese still make up less than 3% of the population.  After 1949 in particular the country had a lot of immigrants from China, and now I believe they're over 10%, with Thailand having the largest Chinese diaspora these days.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:31 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Many of us expats do have a learning difficulty. It's called age related hearing loss and prevents one learning a tonal language.

Perhaps you are young and like all young people don't understand that age does change things. Anyway, everyone gets old and gains hearing and vision defects.

Vision defects I understand, but little tough to buy that excuse from TVF regulars. I mean if you can read TVF,  isn't your eye sight good enough to study Thai? Just sayin'... :whistling:

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 2:12 PM, sanemax said:

Yes, but I was referring to Maejos graph entitled "Siam 1911" and I was pointing out that included both Thailand and Laos

I do not have the inclination to explain further

No, the "graph" (or,  more accurately, the table) did not include both Thailand and Laos.  It only included Thailand (referred to as Siam back in 1911).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

<snip>Her daughter did, and ranked second highest in the whole country. <snip2>

Just in case you missed it before, this is the third mention this topic the wife scored high on her Thai national English exam. What this has to do with whether or not a farang should learn Thai in Thailand I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, OldSiamHand said:

then learn to read and write it instead - that helps tremendously with learning the tones as well. มึง

yeah right! learning reading and writing helps to cure a hearing impairment. this gets better with every posting. no need to go through the cartoons today.

rabugento1.gif

43 minutes ago, JLCrab said:
2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

<snip>Her daughter did, and ranked second highest in the whole country. <snip2>

Just in case you missed it before, this is the third mention this topic the wife scored high on her Thai national English exam. What this has to do with whether or not a farang should learn Thai in Thailand I'm not sure.

:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

yeah right! learning reading and writing helps to cure a hearing impairment. this gets better with every posting. no need to go through the cartoons today.

rabugento1.gif

Part of the educated, own highly paid job, hiso, wealth family, white skin, blah blah.

(Sorry, only kiddin)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 hours ago, sanemax said:
6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

That's the only way I've got laid in my entire life (I did get a couple of free ones when I was 19, but that was an anomaly).

Are you claiming you don't have to pay? (maybe you're not as choosy as me).

his postings are more interesting than the ridiculous postings of allegged fluent Thai speakers who conduct philosophical discussions with monks in wats when they are not busy attending Rotary Club meetings.

:smile:

• Like 2

I don't know about wats or Rotary but as the topic heading is 'going native' I sometimes have to remind myself at the end of the day that I've been out and about and have had multiple conversations during the day but have not spoken one word of English.

Edited by JLCrab

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

I don't know about wats or Rotary but as the topic heading is 'going native' I sometimes have to remind myself at the end of the day that I've been out and about and have had multiple conversations during the day but have not spoken one word of English.

what language did you use? Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese?

2 hours ago, Naam said:

his postings are more interesting than the ridiculous postings of allegged fluent Thai speakers who conduct philosophical discussions with monks in wats when they are not busy attending Rotary Club meetings.

:smile:

I think you have a chip on your shoulder. What do you mean alleged? Like a poster allegedly posting for himself multiple times in the Thai Visa poster of the year awards? Are you calling me a liar? You have already shown your true character in a previous rude post, calling me ignorant and arrogant.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Vision defects I understand, but little tough to buy that excuse from TVF regulars. I mean if you can read TVF,  isn't your eye sight good enough to study Thai? Just sayin'... :whistling:

If you had joined this thread when it started, you'd(not you personally) know over 4000 words by now.

Live and let live but don't say learning Thai is a waste of time if you are a long term resident, just say you're not motivated to learn, for whatever reason, which is your prerogative.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you had joined this thread when it started, you'd(not you personally) know over 4000 words by now.

I don't need a room to rent!

And that falls into the 'simple commerce' category not the chat with drunken rice farmers catagory.

If I had gone native, I'd be beating my wife, and knocking nurses off m/cs as I raced my pickup through red lights. 

Not for me, thanks.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Haha 1