When Farangs Go Native

webfact

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

Knowing the word ngu saam liam, or banded krait was important to me once when I came upon one in Nakon Nayok. I also saw another in bangkok. Extremely dangerous. What's a kukri?

LOL. I'd consider knowing that the snake I was looking at was dangerous more important than knowing the Thai word. 

If Thai people are around, pointing and shouting "mai dee" usually works.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:42 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

Wow. You think the teachers at a village school should speak English with you? I wonder what they think of you, and as for your MIL, I wonder what your kid thinks about you being unable to converse with his grandmother. Sorry, but I find this very sad, especially for your kids. Imagine if you were at school and your friends found out one of your parents was illiterate.

Don't know about WildWillies Mil,

But my Mil doesn't seem to speak any language that the local Thais can speak (it appear to be some local village Lanna variation).

She doesn't listen to Thai TV cos she can't understand what they are saying, and she can't read or write.

But it doesn't seem to be a problem for her, not speaking the local language.

What does my kid think about not being able to converse with his grandmother?

He thinks it's entirely normal. Nobody else can either (but he does alright).

For someone presenting yourself as a "Thai translator"

You don't seem to actually know much about the country, it's culture or the tribal language differences.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

Knowing the word ngu saam liam, or banded krait was important to me once when I came upon one in Nakon Nayok. I also saw another in bangkok. Extremely dangerous. What's a kukri?

Seriously?

If you can log onto TVF you can ask google what a kukri snake is, and get your answer. Even comes with pictures.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I'd consider knowing that the snake I was looking at was dangerous more important than knowing the Thai word. 

If Thai people are around, pointing and shouting "mai dee" usually works.

I'd consider knowing both a better option !!!... that the snake is dangerous, how to identify it to locals in their native language and how to ask for their help !!!... 

Even a smattering of Thai (or local language in any country) will always be more useful than none.

Those who think otherwise are perfect examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect where people simply 'don't know what they don't know'...  Whereas those who can speak the local language often benefit from the 'Wisdom of their Ignorance' and less commonly fall foul of their own over-confidence.

This forum itself is a great example of how the over-confidence of some who claim they never need to learn Thai are so very unaware of the possible benefits, the flawed examples they provide of not needing to learn Thai outline their ignorance for they are simply unable to be aware of what they are unaware. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd consider knowing both a better option !!!... that the snake is dangerous, how to identify it to locals in their native language and how to ask for their help !!!... 

No need for help, I have a spade and can bash it's head in perfectly well on my own.

I'm sure you are intelligent enough to recognize allegorical nature of my comment and that it is not solely relevant to the literal examples discussed... 

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Enoon said:

To a minion a slight dip of the head, "thankyou" (Thai is great, but English will be fine) and a smile will suffice perfectly well.

My wife told me not to wai the lady at the bottle bank, i said i will always wai her as she is the ONLY person in Thailand who gives me money.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

To a man holding a hammer, every difficulty starts to look a bit like a nail.

A rather flawed use of Maslow's Hammer, for your argument implies that  having no hammer at all is better than suffering the cognitive bias the possession of a hammer may generate. 

It is better to have a hammer and not need it ? No ????... is that not the same for speaking the local language ?

Edited by richard_smith237

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Nobody speaks in Braille and Thai Braille is very difficult because of the vowel structure and you would have to learn Thai first before you could speak or read Thai Braille.

Think about what I wrote and the context of the photo.

i was just about to enlighten JLCrab but you beat me to it.

• Like 1

What’s the translation of “Khun Thai grajock” ?

คนไทยกระจก

Khon or kon Thai grajock not khun

I understand it to mean literally "sparrow" Thai.

Meaning an ordinary nothing special person who may (or may not) think they are a big shot/rich/important.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

this forum (not only this thread!) is a great example of some braggarts who think their advice and suggestions (which are based on their individual experience and circumstances) is the gospel for everybody else. their arrogance and sometimes impertinence matches their ignorance. 

Naam, a special offer for you when you attend the wai course with pre and post test. Only 899.- baht....

3 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Naam, a special offer for you when you attend the wai course with pre and post test. Only 899.- baht....

i know how to wai. but i only wai two persons. one is a little girl age 7, the other one a little boy age 4. no wai for anybody else. but if i am wai-ed by an adult i respond with a polite slight bow, a smile and the common greeting "supper dee crap!" with perfect Thai pronunciation.

by the way, i always wonder why this greeting does not change with different times of the day as it does in other languages. why is there no "breakfast dee crap" or "lunch dee crap"?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I do have children, my local Rajabhat (fees around 22kBht/year) is entirely sufficient for their needs.

(Why pay a fortune for a worthless Thai degree?) 

A better future, more money. I'm paying 100Kbht/yr for P-1 and that's not an international school but EP.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

A better future, more money. I'm paying 100Kbht/yr for P-1 and that's not an international school but EP.

You do understand that 3 or 4 kids in the class do all the work and everyone else copies?

And almost everyone in the world knows that.

In fact they have even made a  recent Thai movie about it 'Bad Genius'.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 8:40 PM, Naam said:

i know how to wai. but i only wai two persons. one is a little girl age 7, the other one a little boy age 4. no wai for anybody else. but if i am wai-ed by an adult i respond with a polite slight bow, a smile and the common greeting "supper dee crap!" with perfect Thai pronunciation.

by the way, i always wonder why this greeting does not change with different times of the day as it does in other languages. why is there no "breakfast dee crap" or "lunch dee crap"?

The greeting can change with the time of day.

Why not wai an adult? Why do something completely alien? You obviously don't know how to wai.

I feel sad for the poor kids, growing up thinking all Westerners are rude and ignorant of cultural politeness. Also, for those foreigner who respectfully integrate into Thai society.

Kids should be taught that all men/races are equal. As a Westerner, surely you were taught this. Well maybe not 75 years ago in Germany. If you are German, maybe you should change your attitude and stop the vicious cycle of racial hatred. 

Do you feel somehow superior to all adult Thais? 

6 minutes ago, johng said:

I was born in the 70s. what on earth has it got to do with wai-ing or not .
Naam was being his playful klingon self.

I have read his other posts and think he was serious. Not waiing those above you on the social ladder is rude, FULL STOP. 

Also, he's lived here for probably 10 years and doesn't know arun sawat, sawatdee dton chao, or ratree sawat.