When Farangs Go Native

webfact

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm sorry to have offended you  - purely because I have the nerve to be a western female living in Thailand :laugh:

No, you misunderstand. No offence taken by me, but you being a western female in Thailand is going to be more "interesting" to the local population than I, being a mere male.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm a female westerner, which is probably the difference?

Say no more. That is the only explanation needed.

have a nice day.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

No, you misunderstand. No offence taken by me, but you being a western female in Thailand is going to be more "interesting" to the local population than I, being a mere male.

So why the "have a nice day" and more  "interesting to the local population than I, being a mere male" "comment??

A few males on this forum clearly have issues with Western females.... 

4 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Would you say that having a Thai son going to school in a developing country, in a rural area is intelligent, especially as the father has no intention of speaking the local language? It seems highly irresponsible IMO.

Do you leave it all up to your wife? Sounds like a case of her not allowing you to learn, as you might find out  few things you don't want to hear. Just go to work in a far off country and keep sending the cash back.  

It's none of anyone else's business what a guy living in Thailand with children does with said children. It's certainly none of anyone else's business what anyone else does anywhere, unless they are married to him or her.

By all means present opinions about things related to 'going native", or the benefits ( or otherwise ) of speaking the local lingo, but can we please stop with the personal insults.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Quite, and I frequently make this clear.

Are you also annoyed that my 'name' isn't an immediately recognisable female name - to make it clear all my posts should be immediately ignored?

i'm not annoyed at all, au contraire! i welcome any female participation in discussions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So why the "have a nice day" and more  "interesting to the local population than I, being a mere male" "comment??

I'm sorry if you really don't understand, but I'm not going to explain why a western female would be attractive to the locals on here.

Just accept that I wasn't being insulting and that "have a nice day" means "have a nice day".

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

so you are not a Dick and neither do you have... 

rabugento1.gif

Quite, and I frequently make this clear.

Are you also annoyed that my 'name' isn't an immediately recognisable female name - to make it clear all my posts should be immediately ignored?

Just now, Naam said:

i'm not annoyed at all, au contraire! i welcome any female participation in discussions.

So why bother with your first, above quoted,  post?

Sad to see a good forum of the past turn into this kind of thing.

This is a sub forum for Thai news.

I've applied for Thai citizenship, speak Thai and quite frankly don't give a **** about 90% of these useless bickering comments or what others think about me.

Just now, Neeranam said:

I've applied for Thai citizenship, speak Thai and quite frankly don't give a **** about 90% of these useless bickering comments or what others think about me.

why would anybody think something about you? you didn't participate in the bickering.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm a female westerner, which is probably the difference?

Say no more. That is the only explanation needed.

have a nice day.

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

19 minutes ago, Naam said:

so you are not a Dick and neither do you have... 

rabugento1.gif

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sorry if you really don't understand, but I'm not going to explain why a western female would be attractive to the locals on here.

Just accept that I wasn't being insulting and that "have a nice day" means "have a nice day".

Entirely off-topic- but stop back-pedaling guys.  It's just embarrassing....

44 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm sorry to have offended you  - purely because I have the nerve to be a western female living in Thailand :laugh:

I do wish that posters would use names that are consistent with their sex , on TV , we have Jenny who is a Male and a Dick who is a Female .

Should be the other way around

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Sad to see a good forum of the past turn into this kind of thing.

This is a sub forum for Thai news.

Know what you mean.

I haven't applied for Thai citizenship, speak v. little Thai and "quite frankly don't give a **** about 90% of these useless bickering comments or what others think about me." :laugh: 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Naam said:

it's not dutch but latinised Thai for ''water''. my first name is Walter. Thais can't pronounce it and say ''water'' = naam.

Walter White, and you used to be a high school chemistry teacher ......... then you moved to Thailand with a container full of $$$$, leaving everyone behind thinking you had died of cancer.

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

I just find it quite deceptive when people use user names which are opposite to their gender ,

If a poster doesnt want to reveal which gender they are, they can always use a gender neutral name

I 'wanted' Muttley, but that had already been taken.

I'm v sorry that you equate 'names' and comments with gender, and are unhappy when the gender is not immediately recognisable :laugh:.

I'm v sorry that you equate 'names' and comments with gender, and are unhappy when the gender is not immediately recognisable :laugh:.

Although it would stop the need for you yourself having to state that you are female and not a male

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

40 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although it would stop the need for you yourself having to state that you are female and not a male

Sums up the point I made.....

edit - a few posters are going to have to 'get over' the few females on this forum, even if they have the temerity to not have immediately recognisable female names :laugh: 

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, Naam said:

why would anybody think something about you? you didn't participate in the bickering.

The woman who wrote the OP, I mean. Plus there's a few foreigners I've met who seem to resent the fact that a foreigner has spent time learning Thai and had the "audacity" to want to become one. I respect all that do. Those that don't, I respect their decision but don't usually believe their reasoning.

37 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Sums up the point I made.....

edit - a few posters are going to have to 'get over' the few females on this forum, even if they have the temerity to not have immediately recognisable female names :laugh: 

Lol, good for you. Many posters here are scared of non-subservient women!

21 minutes ago, Naam said:

those people are in my[not so]humble opinion just plain stupid. why it is anybody's business to object another person's desire to learn a language or acquire a citizenship is beyond my grasp. but it is also beyond my grasp why anybody would keep on raving, ranting and condemning foreigners with utmost ridiculous arguments who don't want or who are not capable to learn Thai.

Good point well made, the 'resentment', perhaps, is not due to the ability to learn Thai and become a Thai citizen, the effort is certainly commendable. The resentment, I suggest is fueled by the attitude of Thai language experts towards those who neither had the long term exposure to Thai speakers, or do not possess the ability and skills, indeed the will to learn Thai.

Ref my post above, I believe people skills can prove to be as important to general everyday acceptance as language skills.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1