Thailand keeps hunting for 8,000-plus overstaying foreigners

webfact

Well the police must be getting their act together in catching those over staying  

quite a few of our coloured brethren  have suddenly disappeared from our condo area according to the security here the police  are making more shows and checks

which must be a positive  thing good to see they are also coming down  on those over staying giving out heavier penalties   Ect

Australian statistics, June 2017, put illegal immigrants at 64,000, with population of 25 million. Thailand's population is 69 million 2018.. I very much doubt their figure is correct. More likely 150,000 and that's not including illegal Cambodian, Laos and Myanmar workers here.. 

Here we go, if you have any cash, you will be an overstayer. They are coming for you !

You may think you have all your paperwork in order and you may eventually prove that you do, but by then your cash will be gone. Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they aren't out to get you.

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I hope this is another one of those fake news stories that Thai media is famous for because if not then it raises a number of really alarming issues such as:

1. Why is the Defense Department now tasked with a job that is normally handled by Immigration department?

2. Under what section of the Law is an immigration offense grounds for confiscating assets ?

3. And the most obvious question is what's the point of mandatory reporting of foreigners residences if Immigration and police can't even locate them ?

I urge everyone to think about these 3 points , and then you might come to the conclusion it's time for even the law abiding foreign residents in Thailand to start moving their assets abroad. 

Good questions, and an interesting point about limiting your exposure of Thai finances.  On my last visa run to Vientiane, I met, chatted and socialized with a few Russians, Americans and a couple from Sweden/Thailand.  All were middle aged and older, all were making arrangements, to limit a perceived risk creep of Thai assets (be it cash accounts or investments).  

What is happening in the background, and why is there more talk of limiting funds/assets all of a sudden in Thai accounts? 

For myself, I don't feel comfortable leaving more in a Thai bank than necessary.  In fact I don't like feeding the top (bottom) feeders milking the system.  I transfer an "ecoin" or fragment thereof ...as needed to my Thai trading platform, sell it (mere seconds of exposure), send it to my Thai bank account.  No currency exchange, no daily limits or minimums, virtually no transaction fees.  The whole process takes less than 30 minutes.  Money stays safe in a Canadian bank or trading platform until I need it.

A new thread with solid expat finance ideas, affordable transaction options  and ways to protect ones self would be a great idea.

I don't know if there are over-stayers in Thai, but If they have stayed here in Thai without visa for more than a year or so how do they pay for fine of overstay? and if it's impossible for them to pay the fine, what kind of penalties does Thai immigration give to them? 

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

For starters, they can do whatever they want to do. The notion of legal is very different here.

Many overstayers are supporting themselves through working illegally or illegal working.  

How do you know this ?

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not sure how did they get to that figure,  how do they know who's of the overstays engaged in criminal

and who's not, I'm thinking that this is maybe a ballpark figure and that in reality there are many more

than 8,000 out there.....

Simple Simon. To answer your question.Enter country with passport and specific Visa. Date logged of Entry in Immigration (Immi) system. Date left after date expires date "blank".

Computer at Thai Immi prints out list. Not Einstein math!

Generally a govt. assumes those that overstay anywhere in the world is not a good person! Aside from the fact they are criminals already for breaching Visa conditions!

• Like 1

How on earth are these bells going to confiscate all of anyone's wealth. What the hell kind of threat is that. They'll be overstayers in every country in the world for as long as borders exist. Just tell the truth, they'll be deported with a fine of 20,000 THB maximum and possibly blacklisted for a few years. It's actually cheaper to stay in Thailand, and less hassle, to pay the fine than it is to purchase some of the visas. 

3 hours ago, meechan5 said:

I don't know if there are over-stayers in Thai, but If they have stayed here in Thai without visa for more than a year or so how do they pay for fine of overstay? and if it's impossible for them to pay the fine, what kind of penalties does Thai immigration give to them? 

First post, you must be asking for a friend. I really hope you're using a VPN. Google Thailand overstay, if you don't have the cash to get home and pay the fine I'm not really sure what is in store for you. Prison? Embassy having to pay your deportation fees and you have to spend your entire life paying them back? Good luck and don't forget to wai on your way out. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, meechan5 said:

Fine is 500B a day with a max of 20,000B.  Bans from Thailand apply, ban period depends on how long you overstayed and if you were caught or turned yourself in.  If you dont have the money to a return ticket home and fine you will stay in immigration detention until you can get the cash. Most embassy's will not provide transport home or any funds to pay fines or other expenses. They may help you reach out to family and friends for help, otherwise you will stay in immigration detention. 

I see no issue with trying to round up illegally staying over stayers.  But a few questions:  1:  Why is the defense minister involved?  Are these 8,000 overstayers suspected of something beyond what a routine immigration agency would handle?  How many people are overstaying at the moment?   And the article says their wealth will be confiscated.  OK, I guess might makes right.  But to me this raises the already present warning flags about buying too much over in Thailand 

About 10,000 foreign over-stayers are believed still hiding in the country

By Thai PBS

overstay1.jpg

Police estimated there are about 10,000 foreigners who have over-stayed their visas in Thailand and are suspicious that many of them may engage in illegal activities.

Pol Maj-Gen Surachet Hakpan, deputy commissioner of Tourist Police Bureau, said Thursday (Feb 1) that these illegal immigrants were targeted for a police crackdown.

On Wednesday night, police in coordination with immigration officials launched a city-wide search of 40 targeted spots frequented by foreign tourists such as Khao San road and Soi Nana to look for illegal immigrants.

Eight foreigners from Nigeria, India, Kenya and Ghana were booked for overstaying their visas and one Ugandan was apprehended for drug abuse.

Pol Maj-Gen Surachet said some foreigners were involved in illegal activities such as call centre scam and romance scam.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/10000-foreign-stayers-believed-still-hiding-country/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-02

On 2/1/2018 at 6:24 AM, ezzra said:

Not sure how did they get to that figure,  how do they know who's of the overstays engaged in criminal

and who's not, I'm thinking that this is maybe a ballpark figure and that in reality there are many more

than 8,000 out there.....

Well presuming they all entered legally (that in itself is unlikely), I expect immigration records can determine the number and then classify overstaying as a crime, and hey presto! It would be easy in rural areas to stay under the radar, and perhaps infirmed and elderly let their status lapse.  I bet many European countries can top that number with ease.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Good luck with that. They can't even locate (so they claim) one spoilt brat and runaway police killer. Nor, with any degree of certainty, at least one past PM.

Not to mention the odd fugitive monk!

• Like 1

Only 10,000 overstaying foreigners in Thailand? That number can easily be reached in Bangkok or Pattaya only. Better add another zero before the comma. Or are they only replying to Westerners ???