Me No Ingrish: Travel blogger’s offensive post generalizing Thais sparks conversation

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, laislica said:

Whilst what you say is mainly true.

The subject here is Tourism not long termers.....

Or have I misunderstood?
Are you saying that any visitors to any country should learn that countries language before they visit?
You said "In Summary, if you are going to visit or live here (and go to immigration) .... learn Thai...".

The current international tourism language is English so until that changes...

I think that Thais would be well advised to ramp up their English language skills,

or not, if they have no interest in tourist cash.

A bit of both.  English ability has improved overall... but for all the complaints that it is needed for tourism.... apparently not since tourist numbers year after year after year have dramatically risen.  I have never stayed in a hotel in main tourist areas in Thailand that did not have at least one person that could communicate in English as needed.  You can get from the airport into town.  You can order from a menu -- for the most part.  You can order from DQ by pointing.  Most tourists spend time talking to other tourists who speak the same language.  Retailers have products on display, can talk in numbers.  And while taxi drivers are problematic, most will understand major destinations.  When they don't understand -- my bet is they don't want to understand -- because they don't want to go there.  If you take a taxi from a hotel -- I had no problem telling someone at a hotel where I needed to go and they would be able to talk to taxis etc.  Hotels in tourist places can also arrange other tourism related things as well.  Most people know that Thailand is not an english speaking country and they know that somethings might not always go smoothly etc.  Most seasoned tourists will know to ignore touts.  Immigration services -- entry exit have enough english.  Immigration staff typically have no problems understanding enough english for extensions (extension- hand form - give money done).  Maybe not all flop houses will have English staff - but I have never stayed anywhere where they did not have sufficient english knowledge available.  Basically, I fail to see how it is as important an issue as some on here indicate.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

A bit of both.  English ability has improved overall... but for all the complaints that it is needed for tourism.... apparently not since tourist numbers year after year after year have dramatically risen.  I have never stayed in a hotel in main tourist areas in Thailand that did not have at least one person that could communicate in English as needed.  You can get from the airport into town.  You can order from a menu -- for the most part.  You can order from DQ by pointing.  Most tourists spend time talking to other tourists who speak the same language.  Retailers have products on display, can talk in numbers.  And while taxi drivers are problematic, most will understand major destinations.  When they don't understand -- my bet is they don't want to understand -- because they don't want to go there.  If you take a taxi from a hotel -- I had no problem telling someone at a hotel where I needed to go and they would be able to talk to taxis etc.  Hotels in tourist places can also arrange other tourism related things as well.  Most people know that Thailand is not an english speaking country and they know that somethings might not always go smoothly etc.  Most seasoned tourists will know to ignore touts.  Immigration services -- entry exit have enough english.  Immigration staff typically have no problems understanding enough english for extensions (extension- hand form - give money done).  Maybe not all flop houses will have English staff - but I have never stayed anywhere where they did not have sufficient english knowledge available.  Basically, I fail to see how it is as important an issue as some on here indicate.

Jolly good and how lucky that you have such wonderful experiences in Thailand.

However, I think you mentioned that you stay in 4* or better?

In that case there should be no problem because you are paying a higher price for your accommodation package.

We have some European friends who visit for a month per year and call themselves "Millionaires for the month".

They stay in 4,000 Baht / night hotels and have a fab time - along the lines you mention.

When we joined them in Phuket in 2012, we stayed in a room costing 800 Baht / night, no brekkie, no frills, but adequate for a week/10 days.

The lady on reception did however speak English and so we had no problem there.

However, I made the reservation at reception and the lady wanted to charge me 1,000 Baht extra/night because I had a lady with me.

I explained that she was my wife.

The lady said that the charge would be waived "But only if I had the same lady with me every night"!

What a thing to say to a visitor!

However, in Chiang Mai, staying in a room costing about 1,000 Baht, again no brekkie, had a swimming pool, the folk on reception did not speak English.

Had I not had a Thai wife, I would have found it difficult (were I a tourist) to get information from them about tourist places to visit.

In Thailand, some will speak enough English to rent you a motorcycle, without insurance, don't care if you have a valid license etc....

Or perhaps a jet ski and then claim that you damaged it and charge you a fortune....

Thailand sells itself as a Trip to Paradise.

Beautiful beaches etc.

Is that only for top end visitors then?

Do they deliver paradise?

I don't think so.

We're off to Pattaya in a day or so, first time.

I have a thread asking for info about what to see.

One poster suggested "Hit Soi 6 at some point; watch your wallet among the katoeys halfway down the soi. ", and he's a long termer.

Now I'm thinking OMG do I want to go there!

Not good thoughts for a tourist do you think?

11 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Was not talking about Gov or business employees who as a qualification for their job need to be fluent in another language. Many places in US have signs forms written in Spanish and other languages and some stores have signs saying "we speak Spanish, Viet ect" I was talking about general public in US and Britain such as taxi drivers, security ,police  that Thian in his post said don't understand him. I try to learn a little of the language of countries I go to. If you at least make an effort to speak the people are more inclined to help you. Have had Thai laugh but then correct my speech and help me with what I want. Even had Thai who heard me talking with a Thai who I could not understand come over and tell me in English what the person was saying to me. Has happened many times when I first got here by both male and female Thai. 

For many years my job was taking American businessmen to trade fairs around Western Europe. I also took Japanese Korean and a few Chinese. The Americans stood out as the worst of my clients by far - to a man they were incapable of communicating in any of the European languages even of a very basic level, they had trouble with business, money ,food hotel rooms everything. If I left them on there own for a toilet break, by the time I got back there was a misunderstanding going. ...and as for their ability to do business and negotiate....they just couldn't grasp that alternative business cultures were REAL.

what amazes me is that expats living in Thailand do so for yars and never even learn to read.....even an infant school pupil in Thailand knows 2 writing systems, and lets face it ordering a Burger in English has to be the most banal language test in the world - When in the States my main source of hilarity is the burger flippers and their colleagues -  - I get asked if I'm French, Canada India anything than try and understand what I'm saying. Nowadays in most places where idiots serve the public I put on an American accent just so that I can get a burger or beer without having to repeat myself 20 times.

Seldom happens in Thailand though.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

My Thai wife was never taught English at school and her 14 year old daughter is not being taught English at school, it appears that there are only a few schools actually teaching English and from what I can gather they are only high schools which to me is stupid because they already have the Thai language instilled into their brains, they should be teaching it in primary schools where it will instill into the young brain easier

Your Thai wife?  Do you have more than one wife, or others from different countries?

You said I was chopping and changing my 'story'.  What story.. and please tell we where and changed my views?

Basically, I will say it again, and I have no idea how you can find this wrong..... International language is English... Thais people working in the tourist industry, dealing day in  day out for years on end with farangs... should be then be able to speak the basics of English.....  

If they are dealing with other nationalities such as Chinese people... then they should be able to speak Chinese as a job requirement.

Seems to me they just stubbornly refuse to learn another language because they think their Thai language is so great and the best... when in fact if may be they are just to lazy or stupid to be able to learn another language.  

Edited by jak2002003

'... when in fact if may be they are just to lazy or stupid to be able to learn another language.  "

It always surprises me when posters denigrate Thais for not being up to their standards yet live or holiday there.  

Back in blighty people from Auchtermuchty cant understand  people from Auchterarder and they are only 20 miles apart.

In America, if you "axe" what language is number one, you will get the reply "American"

On 2/1/2018 at 7:24 PM, Thian said:

Well this guy is obviously not used to Asian standards...he thinks everyhing here is the same as back in Europe which is sure not the case.

And even when 2 thai tell eachother the route it goes wrong all the time..if he stayed in the Lebua he probably is too hi-so for BKK and better goes to Singapore where they all speak english and know the roadmap...

So you are telling us the guy is correct?

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Well after dealing with it for many years now i have a list of places where they do speak english and i prefer to shop there. Got so tired of that uneducated behaviour.

Even at the Mac or Burger King i can't order food, they constantly hire new staff which seem to be fresh out of the forest.

ALL the collegues of my wife (a few hundred) had to follow english lessons during worktime, the big boss hired an american private teacher for them and they all had to go to his lessons 4 hours a week. That's been going on for 6 months now but they still can't speak a word english...they have university degree's and work in the IT...with foreign customers/trainers/certifications and equipment. 

Even my neighbour who has the highest education available in Thailand (all titles) is not fluent in English, we can conversate well though but i have to  repeat my words several times mostly and keep it as simple as possible. My 6 year old thai cousin really speaks fluent english but his parents hired a private teacher for him since he was 4.

This article is just another example of how the Thai (and many TV-members) just ignore the importance of education. They even get angry from comments like this..

In the EMquartier i've seen many Japanese expats eating in restaurants where the staff can't speak a word english, they just point on the menu and pay for that, no words spoken at all. It will stay like that if nobody dares to speak about it.

This week i was on the kasetsart university fair, loads of students there but NONE of them can speak english on a level that's acceptable. Also the vendors there have never heard of latin names for plants which are the standard internationally. 

Well Singapore is around the corner, for me going there is like a warm bath and i 'm happy to pay the higher costs overthere, it's all worth it.

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Well after dealing with it for many years now i have a list of places where they do speak english and i prefer to shop there. Got so tired of that uneducated behaviour.

Even at the Mac or Burger King i can't order food, they constantly hire new staff which seem to be fresh out of the forest.

ALL the collegues of my wife (a few hundred) had to follow english lessons during worktime, the big boss hired an american private teacher for them and they all had to go to his lessons 4 hours a week. That's been going on for 6 months now but they still can't speak a word english...they have university degree's and work in the IT...with foreign customers/trainers/certifications and equipment. 

Even my neighbour who has the highest education available in Thailand (all titles) is not fluent in English, we can conversate well though but i have to  repeat my words several times mostly and keep it as simple as possible. My 6 year old thai cousin really speaks fluent english but his parents hired a private teacher for him since he was 4.

This article is just another example of how the Thai (and many TV-members) just ignore the importance of education. They even get angry from comments like this..

In the EMquartier i've seen many Japanese expats eating in restaurants where the staff can't speak a word english, they just point on the menu and pay for that, no words spoken at all. It will stay like that if nobody dares to speak about it.

This week i was on the kasetsart university fair, loads of students there but NONE of them can speak english on a level that's acceptable. Also the vendors there have never heard of latin names for plants which are the standard internationally. 

Well Singapore is around the corner, for me going there is like a warm bath and i 'm happy to pay the higher costs overthere, it's all worth it.

Congratulations on learning English to such a high standard.

Your spelling is almost perfect but there is something in your tirade

which suggest that you're not from an English speaking country,

so, again congratulations.

It does seem odd that you stay at 5* hotels (you mention them several times)

yet dine out at Mac(Donald's?) and Burger King.

Do they accept your AMEX there?

Also what kind of vendors were you interrogating at the university fair, I'm 

almost tempted to hop off to Singapore to quiz the locals on their Latin 

flora knowledge!!

4 hours ago, laislica said:

Jolly good and how lucky that you have such wonderful experiences in Thailand.

However, I think you mentioned that you stay in 4* or better?

In that case there should be no problem because you are paying a higher price for your accommodation package.

We have some European friends who visit for a month per year and call themselves "Millionaires for the month".

They stay in 4,000 Baht / night hotels and have a fab time - along the lines you mention.

I was responding to someone who mentioned the lack of english at 5* hotels.  All things considered I am rather frugal.  I have stayed at 4* and 5*, I have also stayed at 2* and 3* -- depends on who I am travelling with, who I am meeting with, or whether I am travelling alone.  If no one else is with me -- I personally just book a 2* or 3* that is clean - since all that matters is a bed, and hate the over the top treatment of a 5* (there was a reason why there was no 5*s in Toronto until very recently - Canadians are naturally cheap).  I like spending money on function -- not appearance.  I have a 3 floor townhouse to stay at most of the time (which I rent because I hate furnished places - let me put my own stuff in there) -- which has kitchen stuff, a bed, a computer desk/chair and computer gadgets, and a Lifecycle...  I have not even bothered putting in a water heater because I keep on thinking 5 minutes is not worth it :shock1:  Basically if I am travelling with family or meeting people I have met through family -- then a 4* or 5* (though I first few months here it was a 4* serviced apartment on my own since that was the easiest) -- when I am travelling alone 2* or 3*. 

To return to the main topic.

The guys position is quite reasonable and really does not require the frothing indignation-rather mad if you ask me-of supporters of "Thailand numbah one!"

If one is so thin skinned as to resent any form of criticism at all-a marked Thai trait-than please do not embark on any more advertising campaigns endeavoring to attract tourists to the country.

I have little interest in the "I have been here for thirty years" brigade.I saw them,met them,and had an overwhelming urge to write Schedule 2's and Section 22's on most of them.

46 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Congratulations on learning English to such a high standard.

Your spelling is almost perfect but there is something in your tirade

which suggest that you're not from an English speaking country,

so, again congratulations.

It does seem odd that you stay at 5* hotels (you mention them several times)

yet dine out at Mac(Donald's?) and Burger King.

Do they accept your AMEX there?

Also what kind of vendors were you interrogating at the university fair, I'm 

almost tempted to hop off to Singapore to quiz the locals on their Latin 

flora knowledge!!

Edit, I see that I have got posts and posters mixed up.

I do apologise for that.

21 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

To return to the main topic.

The guys position is quite reasonable and really does not require the frothing indignation-rather mad if you ask me-of supporters of "Thailand numbah one!"

If one is so thin skinned as to resent any form of criticism at all-a marked Thai trait-than please do not embark on any more advertising campaigns endeavoring to attract tourists to the country.

I have little interest in the "I have been here for thirty years" brigade.I saw them,met them,and had an overwhelming urge to write Schedule 2's and Section 22's on most of them.

Everyone has a bias, and while there is some honest things about the post it is exaggerated and over the top.  Some of it is just the fact of life travelling to a tourist trap -- made only worse by the fact that Thailand is not a fully developed nation.  Touts are an unfortunate fact of life, so is the criminal element which flocks to where the money is.  I remember being in NY city and watching someone selling watches at on the street, then when a policeman neared (probably alerted by a lookout), he would close up shop and just stand there for a bit -- then when the police have left open up shop again.  Everywhere you go there are people buying and selling stolen goods -- it is not unique to Thailand the only difference was the shoe seller was honest about where the used merchandise likely came from (does not mean he was involved directly in the theft).  Thailand gets it's share of misbehaving tourists and the average behaviour of tourists is lower than average unfortunately (not that I have great love for tourists) -- but then I don't even like the use of expletives, loud obnoxious behaviour, public intoxication etc.  or those that show no respect for local culture.  A lot of the grips are not unique to Thailand either.   The clincher was the section "ME NO INGRISH" and again the only time I ever here that mispronunciation on purpose is an attempt to denigrate through humour anyone from Asia who's mother tongue is not English -- so it tells me that the person is likely also viewing the situation through a feeling racial or cultural superiority.  Tourism often exacts a high toll on areas where the tourism industry is oversized and out of control.   A more fair blog post would say, these are the potential issues - and this is how to avoid them.  For some of them like double pricing -- if you have a problem with it -- Thailand is not the place for you since it is institutional at parks etc.

Back on topic....

I was on Phi Phi last year for a few days in the week of the Kings funeral.

I really enjoyed my stay but as most of the bars were closed there were a

whole lot of glum looking millennials not being able to indulge in their craziness!

I doubt that I would have enjoyed my stay as much if the island was in full on

party mode, being a grumpy old git!

I was with my potential wife so I wasn't propositioned by any massage ladies

and as for beach orgies, there were none to be seen.

I couldn't imagine buying 2nd hand shoes anywhere, let alone whingeing on the internet about the

vendors lack of professionalism.

I understand that everyone's experiences are unique, and their reactions equally so, but I think

that there is far too much moaning nowadays about things that are little more than a small

inconvenience.

Edited by shy coconut
Spelling

10 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Everyone has a bias, and while there is some honest things about the post it is exaggerated and over the top.  Some of it is just the fact of life travelling to a tourist trap -- made only worse by the fact that Thailand is not a fully developed nation.  Touts are an unfortunate fact of life, so is the criminal element which flocks to where the money is.  I remember being in NY city and watching someone selling watches at on the street, then when a policeman neared (probably alerted by a lookout), he would close up shop and just stand there for a bit -- then when the police have left open up shop again.  Everywhere you go there are people buying and selling stolen goods -- it is not unique to Thailand the only difference was the shoe seller was honest about where the used merchandise likely came from (does not mean he was involved directly in the theft).  Thailand gets it's share of misbehaving tourists and the average behaviour of tourists is lower than average unfortunately (not that I have great love for tourists) -- but then I don't even like the use of expletives, loud obnoxious behaviour, public intoxication etc.  or those that show no respect for local culture.  A lot of the grips are not unique to Thailand either.   The clincher was the section "ME NO INGRISH" and again the only time I ever here that mispronunciation on purpose is an attempt to denigrate through humour anyone from Asia who's mother tongue is not English -- so it tells me that the person is likely also viewing the situation through a feeling racial or cultural superiority.  Tourism often exacts a high toll on areas where the tourism industry is oversized and out of control.   A more fair blog post would say, these are the potential issues - and this is how to avoid them.  For some of them like double pricing -- if you have a problem with it -- Thailand is not the place for you since it is institutional at parks etc.

The Thai tourist industry is over sized and out of control largely due to the actions of the Thais themselves who do very little to improve infrastructure and facilities-but merely take the money and run.

The filthy beaches,the mountains of trash,the chronic inability to either plan for the future or maintain what they have got points to one overriding factor-greed and that is GREED AT ANY COST.

Don't go moaning if the "paradise" presented in the travel brochures is less than perfect and a couple of tourists point that out to you.

This thread is very reminiscent of a past one in which a Spaniard pointed out that the beaches were utterly filthy and the Thai were to lazy and uninterested to clean them up.

He too was attacked by the usual suspects on this forum.

Edited by Odysseus123

5 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

Back in blighty people from Auchtermuchty cant understand  people from Auchterarder and they are only 20 miles apart.

As the people from the stated towns both speak English why can they not understand each other ?

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

higher prices in Thailand

I don't see excessively higher prices here, unless one thinks one can only live a posh western life style. Accommodation still very cheap, public transport cheap in most places, food extremely cheap- I can get a ready to eat meal from Big C for 30 baht.

Although tourists dont generally go on holiday to eat 30 Baht meals in Big C

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although tourists dont generally go on holiday to eat 30 Baht meals in Big C

A tourist that complains about the high cost of meals (i.e. going to food court)....  Though he seemed to be travelling to Thailand to eat a Burger King - which to me seems just strange... I do eat there from time to time - but not when I was a tourist... why would someone travel half a world away and feel that that is a good decision is beyond me.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I believe that all pilots need to speak English because  English is the language that pilots and air traffic control speak to each other in, 

He is probably thinking the pilot made the announcements when it was someone else.

2 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Have you ever spoken to someone from Macclesfield, Birmingham, Manchester or Liverpool? 

I have yes , but that doesnt answer my question .

Why can the people from the two towns that you mentioned cannot understand each other ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I have yes , but that doesnt answer my question .

Why can the people from the two towns that you mentioned cannot understand each other ?

One has the Scottish home for the deaf

One has the Scottish home for the mute

And next time you ask me a question say please first, I have a limited capacity for dealing with  fellas like yourself

Just now, isaanbanhou said:

One has the Scottish home for the deaf

One has the Scottish home for the mute

And next time you ask me a question say please first, I have a limited capacity for dealing with  fellas like yourself

No need to take that attitude with me .

I was asking for an explanation for the statement that you made .

The explanation that you gave also didnt back up your statement .

And I really cannot understand why you are mentioned deaf and mute people , 

What point are you trying to make ?

You are speaking nonsense and as a defence, you talk derogatory to me  

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My worst ever tour though, many years ago, and still seared in my mind, was the private tour for myself and Thai GF to the palace and Doi Suthep temple in Chiang Mai. Despite me turning up in shorts, the English speaking "guide" failed to mention I could not go into the palace in shorts, thus not getting half of my tour, and spent the entire time talking to my GF in Thai.

I don't need to mention what I thought of Thai tour guides after that.

You can go into Doi Sutep wearing shorts , knee length  shorts are quite acceptable and shorter shorts are allowed .

Females just have to cover-up and there are clothes provided for them 

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Not to mention --  they would have to be one of the few that cannot speak sign language too...  tall tale I think. :shock1:

19 hours ago, Thian said:

This is Thailand and the native language is Thai not English so don't be so lazy and go and learn the native language of the country you are living in and stop complaining. There are many ways of being able to communicate with the Thai people. I cannot speak Thai but I can go to a restaurant and order food from a menu written in Thai, I can go and talk to the mechanic and tell him what is wrong with my car and get it fixed and he can show me how much it costs. You are a snob that wants to ruin the culture of a country just to suit you. As for the tourists there are plenty of ways they can communicate if they are not so lazy, there are many small pocket books that carry in your pocket that will help you and with today's mobile phones and tablets you can use Google Translate. You come to Thailand or any other country for that matter it is up to you to to be able to communicate with them, not them change their language and culture to suit you.

11 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Not to mention --  they would have to be one of the few that cannot speak sign language too...  tall tale I think. :shock1:

I am still trying to work out what his point was .

I think that he was saying that mute people in the UK cannot speak English, therefore English is not an International language because even some British  people cannot speak English .

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Ignore him, I think he is being smart or he is stupid not knowing that many people do not know the area he is talking about. I think what he was trying to say but did not know how to say it was that the reason that the people from those two towns cannot understand each other is because one town is deaf and the other town is mute so one speak cannot speak and the other cannot hear. That is a stupid and childish statement by him. Like you said he is speaking nonsense and his only defence is to try and be rude and be derogatory to people.

14 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

This is Thailand and the native language is Thai not English so don't be so lazy and go and learn the native language of the country you are living in and stop complaining. There are many ways of being able to communicate with the Thai people. I cannot speak Thai but I can go to a restaurant and order food from a menu written in Thai, I can go and talk to the mechanic and tell him what is wrong with my car and get it fixed and he can show me how much it costs. You are a snob that wants to ruin the culture of a country just to suit you. As for the tourists there are plenty of ways they can communicate if they are not so lazy, there are many small pocket books that carry in your pocket that will help you and with today's mobile phones and tablets you can use Google Translate. You come to Thailand or any other country for that matter it is up to you to to be able to communicate with them, not them change their language and culture to suit you.

Official second language is English, so I would expect a few Thais to speak it.

But other than that, you're right.