Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

57 minutes ago, The manic said:

I too find Thais to be bad tempered. Their coolness is a myth 

Most of the stuff said about Thais is from TAT travel brochures, based on some utopian fairytale of the splendor of Thailand hundreds of years ago, which also never existed. Brilliant marketing they've done, have to say. The truth is just another SEA plot of land with the usual antics.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

That land you think you own is the property of the Thai who has the controlling interest in your company. Try reading the articles of association of your company- I'm assuming you can read Thai.

No i can not read Thai,i just arrived yesterday.Is there still hope for me?You do not know anything about me yet you assume a lot.My time to assume you are renting?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

If you've never been in Pataya, as you claim, then why are you doing your utter best to slag it off with your baiting posts?

You must feel very superior.

There you go again Sverige. Money or superiority complex's are your thing. I've been through pattaya to go to mae phim that is it. I slag it off as most do its nationally slagged off too. I live in Issan. Horses for courses.

Not losing your temper is a trait which most Thais at least aspire to and admire in others, but plenty fall short. The problem for foreigners is that while Thais are usually fairly forgiving of one another after they lose their cool, if a foreigner goes apeshit, they risk being branded as a hothead for life. Although I strongly agree that there's some cultural mythology in play here, my advice would be to continue to play along as much as possible, if for no other reason than it greatly reduces the likelihood that a verbal dispute escalates into physical violence. :thumbsup:

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm sure that is true.. I live in a medium sized country town in Isaan.. a very different bunch of guys to the Pattaya crowd.. although a few do stray here.. but don't last long.  My friends.. like myself are family orientated.. some have land a do a bit of farming...  There are a lot of guys here that are socially awkward and for one reason or another keep to themselves.  It has taken a while but I have a group of friends who like to get together every month or so to share a meal.. at a restaurant or at one of our homes.. The main thing about these guys is that they reciprocate and are generous.. If I put on a big meal at home I get invited to their home or a restaurant where someone pays the bill.. never any squabbling over money.. but most importantly they are good company.  A variety of nationalities too.. Canadian, Australian.. Brits.. a Norwegian, a Dane.. and a French guy.. the ladies get along well too.. I go with the energy.. and am happy to put a bit of effort into developing friendships with like minded people.. I don't have time for those who complain all the time or never return my hospitality.. 

Ditto.  I lived in Chiang Mai most of the time I was in Thailand had some really good friends there.  Most have now moved on but some are still there and we are still friends and I always have places to stay.  There is often a certain ex-pat comradery which is born from similarity rather than differences. For example if I was hitting the nightspots of Pattaya every night I am sure I would have a very different set of friends to the ones I had where I lived.  It's all horses for courses and Thailand has it's attractions for many different reasons and for all sorts of people.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Depends on your character 

I don't think it's as simple as that. Years ago, I was much more trusting than I am today. If someone looked me in the eye and promised they would do something, I tended to believe them. Then I went through a phase where I thought it was all in the eyes. That if I projected friendliness but was nobody's fool, that that would do the trick. The truth is that there are simply people here who try to take advantage of you no matter how you act. Some people act friendly as a prelude to taking advantage of you. I'm currently of the opinion that mixing business and friendship is kind of risky here. Lots of times people try to exploit the friendship for business advantage. To say that all this can be avoided with the right attitude or character is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

Right at the end of the article it comes out with..."A few days on Thai Visa would make you think that all expats ever do is whinge and complain about life in the Land of Smiles. It’s a bad example of expat life and most of us find our way through these challenges with a bit of patience, grace, a good book or a smartphone with a full charge. "

Which made me giggle....

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

Rubbish, Thai people lose their temper, shout and scream and do anything they can to try and get their own way and that's just one example I saw in the Banana IT computer shop in Market Village, Hua Hin.

Bumps you mean towerblock falls don't you, how is the new job goin?

2 minutes ago, Ban Sao 420 said:

I have a 20 year old girlfriend and I am currently 61. And she definitely loves me and I love her and it's the best relationship I've ever had in my life. I guess she's one in a million.

Good hope it lasts for you, but beware the chopper and keep the financials hidden

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Having a 'girlfriend' young enough to be your granddaughter is not something most normal people would boast about, creepy in the extreme. 

But most normal people don't live in Thailand where the rules are very different.  I say enjoy it while it lasts.  At 61 you are entitled to indulge yourself in the odd fantasy or two.

6 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm sure that is true.. I live in a medium sized country town in Isaan.. a very different bunch of guys to the Pattaya crowd.. although a few do stray here.. but don't last long.  My friends.. like myself are family orientated.. some have land a do a bit of farming...  There are a lot of guys here that are socially awkward and for one reason or another keep to themselves.  It has taken a while but I have a group of friends who like to get together every month or so to share a meal.. at a restaurant or at one of our homes.. The main thing about these guys is that they reciprocate and are generous.. If I put on a big meal at home I get invited to their home or a restaurant where someone pays the bill.. never any squabbling over money.. but most importantly they are good company.  A variety of nationalities too.. Canadian, Australian.. Brits.. a Norwegian, a Dane.. and a French guy.. the ladies get along well too.. I go with the energy.. and am happy to put a bit of effort into developing friendships with like minded people.. I don't have time for those who complain all the time or never return my hospitality.. 

i hear what your saying i live in pattaya i cant say the same maybe im just to honest i cant listen to all the BS with farang people men and women and get in problems all the time, i long for the day my sex drive subsides i meet a descent women and move away from these people. the best friends i have here are Thai girlfriends. i have a great girl that i would settle with but i still have a roving eye.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

But most normal people don't live in Thailand where the rules are very different.  I say enjoy it while it lasts.  At 61 you are entitled to indulge yourself in the odd fantasy or two.

Absolutely. You feel as young as the girl You are feeling. As long as it is legal.When women have toy boys they are praised for being liberated!

• Like 1

Last year I was going for a  visa situation  and while talking with the IO he was supposed to be a hard person to deal with according to my frang neighbour but to my surprise the IO was having coffee served by a secretary right at his desk and offered me one coffee also SURPRISE and after I was charged 1900 tb I did give 2000  and put the 100 tb into a little glass jar so to thank him for the coffee  it was a pleasant visit.

• Thanks 1