Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

15 hours ago, Puwa said:

My rules for living happily in Thailand.

1. Speak Thai

2. Learn to smile properly

3. Don't work here; earn your money elsewhere and bring it in as needed

4. Exercise and eat well

5. See the country

6. Don't seek relationships with commercial sex workers

7. Pursue hobbies other than drinking and barhopping

8. Never show your wealth ostentatiously

9. Avoid unnecessary interaction with other farang

10. Figure out a proper visa, one way or another 

2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 are universal things and not specific to LOS.

Can you come up with another 6 points specific to Thailand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think your info is good.

But, I am having a great time eating, drinking, spending money, smiling only when necessary, hanging out with farang, not speaking Thai, and spending lots of time with sex workers.

If I wanted a purgatory boring life I would have stayed in my home country.

Sounds like that is exactly what you are having.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

But, I am having a great time eating, drinking, spending money, smiling only when necessary, hanging out with farang, not speaking Thai, and spending lots of time with sex workers.

What do you find so enjoyable about spending time with prostitutes?

You can have sex anytime you want with them and you may want to get to know them a bit first before you have sex and you may want to spend some time in a bar choosing which prostitute you would like to penetrate , but , why would you hang out with them ?

Do you hang out with them when they are not working or is it just business freinds ?

20 hours ago, Puwa said:

My rules for living happily in Thailand.

1. Speak Thai

2. Learn to smile properly

3. Don't work here; earn your money elsewhere and bring it in as needed

4. Exercise and eat well

5. See the country

6. Don't seek relationships with commercial sex workers

7. Pursue hobbies other than drinking and barhopping

8. Never show your wealth ostentatiously

9. Avoid unnecessary interaction with other farang

10. Figure out a proper visa, one way or another 

In my experience keeping completely ignorant is the best way around here. It's bliss and the native way. Learning Thai and understanding what they are talking about is a mistake.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

What do you find so enjoyable about spending time with prostitutes?

You can have sex anytime you want with them and you may want to get to know them a bit first before you have sex and you may want to spend some time in a bar choosing which prostitute you would like to penetrate , but , why would you hang out with them ?

Do you hang out with them when they are not working or is it just business freinds ?

You apparently have never been here.

It's their minds my friend. Their minds, their minds..

Come check it out sometime, very enlightening.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 are universal things and not specific to LOS.

Can you come up with another 6 points specific to Thailand?

I disagree-- all six have particular meaning and relevance in the context of expat life in Thailand. Anyway, I have mostly followed these principles since 1990 and  done ok, no major scams or deceits, no deportations, no work permit headaches, no absurd Thai employers, no 90 day reports (frequent travel related to #3), no knife-wielding meth-head girlfriends, no slide into alcoholism and its accompanying physical and mental disease. Oh and the ability to chat up virtually any woman in the country, not just hookers, ex hookers, and professional farang-hunters.

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That's the beauty of it: I live by my rules and you apparently live by yours. To each his own. 

30 minutes ago, Puwa said:

That's the beauty of it: I live by my rules and you apparently live by yours. To each his own. 

Well actually, I have no rules.  That's why I am here.

Rules are for elementary school children.  Or males that are controlled by females.

I do what I want, when I want.

If you have a list of rules you follow, up to you good luck with them......

Edited by bkk6060

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 5:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

However,

"The 20-something bar girl with the short skirt and fetching smile probably doesn’t love you."

is just plain wrong. They have told me on numerous occasions that they love me and I believe them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Keep smiling and keep spending the money expecting nothing in return, and you`ll always be tolerated loved in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 12:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Good, well-written article that should be given to all who come here for a long stay!

However,

"The 20-something bar girl with the short skirt and fetching smile probably doesn’t love you."

is just plain wrong. They have told me on numerous occasions that they love me and I believe them.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

OMG' isn't true !!! I thought I was special !!

It is the same in all countries, we are immigrant or long term resident so we got no say over what happen in this country since the freedom of action is limited.

We are different in all aspect of life and we have to respect their ways there is some bad one and good one as well so harmony in this world is hard to come by.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, crazykopite said:

Very good article ,sometimes I ask myself why the hell do I live here it’s normally around the time that my extension of stay is due , never knowing if your immigration office has introduced a new rule without announcing it . Last year for example after spending 2 hours to get to my immigration department I handed all my paperwork only to be told to come back and pick up my passport with new extended of stay stamp in 7 days time so that equates to travelling time of 8 hours as well as all the expense of Ferry.  Transport and food costs , it’s no good questioning why because you get no answer although I do know the guy who signs the applications off spends a lot of time on the local golf course ?

Perhaps a box of Titleist Pro V1 would grease the skids?

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, siamcrut said:

You will always be a second class citizen in the land of the smile.

Nevertheless how much money you do have in your bank account.

Sure, if you act second class you will be treated that way.

• Haha 1

"Thailand has a long history of independence and hasn’t been tainted with a lot of western influence." Couldn't take this thread serious after I read that :shock1:

No worries m8..
But one thing you do need to reconsider,
why are their driving skills so poor....
Because the majority of Thais, see adopting Farang standard as No Good!

20 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

So, if I act first class, I will be treated as a first class person? 

Is there an instruction manual on how to act first class in the eyes of Thais? Can you explain to me what benefits will accrue from acting first class? Will I earn a passport into the inner sanctum of Thai society if I act first class? 

Before you start you start throwing around such descriptions like "second class", perhaps you should explain it a bit better.

If you can't figure it out, ask a Thai.....

If you live an exemplary life, then in your next life, if you're lucky, you might be reborn as a Thai. I would say Brit, but Brits don't believe in reincarnation. They all go to heaven, and what an exciting, interesting place that must be.

11 hours ago, siamcrut said:

No worries m8..
But one thing you do need to reconsider,
why are their driving skills so poor....
Because the majority of Thais, see adopting Farang standard as No Good!

The majority of Thai people are far more skilled at negotiating the roads here than foreigners. Those foreigners who think otherwise just can't cope with driving here.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The majority of Thai people are far more skilled at negotiating the roads here than foreigners. Those foreigners who think otherwise just can't cope with driving here.

39 people weren't so skilled yesterday and that is the tip of the iceberg !! 

What a bizarre comment... 

• Haha 1

Depends on the office. Pattaya immigration appears to be the best one for farangs, probably because so many using it.
Other offices around the country invent things to make it difficult, like having to have a medical for a retirement extension, or requiring the village headman to turn up to say the farang lives there.
Because offices can require different things, instead of the same requirements in all of Thailand, it makes it difficult for those unfortunate enough to live in places other than Pattaya/ Jomptien.

I live in Sakaeo and have found Immigration to be a delight to deal with , 2 extensions of retirement visa and both times under an hour.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app