Trump steps up fight over Russia probe, backs release of secret memo

rooster59

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Their is no classified or sensitive content in the memo

Right and how can there be?

Nunes admitted in an interview with FOX News that he didn't view the underlying intelligence on which he based the memo!

"Did you read the actual FISA applications?"

"No, I didn't."

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/02/02/devin-nunes-admits-he-didnt-view-the-underlying-intelligence-his-memo-was-based-on/23351741/

As the President should have asked the same question to Nunes in Trump's "review" of his memo, Trump and Sessions (if he was asked to assist in the review-hard to imagine he wasn't) should apologize to the FBI Director, intelligence agencies and Congress for lack of diligence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

well as the FBI more than likely said the Steele report was initially funded by Republicans and then Democrats, the Judge clearly thought there could be no bias in it at all and processed the application as normal.  The memo is going to backfire badly on Nunes, Trump and the GOP.

You may be right about it backfiring on Nunes, Trump and the GOP but I don't think the GOP, at any time funded the Steele report. I also don't think the fact it was financed by the DNC was disclosed to the court, if memory serves. I could be wrong about that.

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

You may be right about it backfiring on Nunes, Trump and the GOP but I don't think the GOP, at any time funded the Steele report. I also don't think the fact it was financed by the DNC was disclosed to the court, if memory serves. I could be wrong about that.

The dossier was funded by the republicans. They all seem to be ignoring that. Funny eh !

2 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

The dossier was funded by the republicans. They all seem to be ignoring that. Funny eh !

I don't think that's right. I think during the primaries a group linked to Republicans engaged Fusion Gps to dig up Op Research on Trump. I think they dropped it after he won the primaries. I think the DNC then picked up the research hunt with Fusion Gps in June 2016. Steele and his dossier were hired subsequent to DNC sponsorship.

The FBI, DoJ and Dems claimed that the memo contained classified information, and releasing said memo would compromise FBI operations. Since the memo has been released, we have had a firestorm of propaganda from the three aforesaid groupings, which has swamped all the world's newsfeeds. But there is no information in the memo which compromises US national security in any way, shape or form. The FBI, DoJ and Dems lied to the public plain and simple, in order to try to stop a memo which highlighted possible collusion between the three. And now they are flooding the world's media with propaganda. That, with the evidence in the memo, indicates that there was collusion between the three.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The FBI, DoJ and Dems claimed that the memo contained classified information, and releasing said memo would compromise FBI operations. Since the memo has been released, we have had a firestorm of propaganda from the three aforesaid groupings, which has swamped all the world's newsfeeds. But there is no information in the memo which compromises US national security in any way, shape or form. The FBI, DoJ and Dems lied to the public plain and simple, in order to try to stop a memo which highlighted possible collusion between the three. And now they are flooding the world's media with propaganda. That, with the evidence in the memo, indicates that there was collusion between the three.

The problem with your assertion is that in fact, Nunes in his report specifically states that the committe asked President Trump to declassify this report. Had you actually bothered to read it, you couldn't have helped but note this.

Edited by ilostmypassword

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

The problem with your assertion is that in fact, Nunes in his report specifically states that the committe asked President Trump to declassify this report. Had you actually bothered to read it, you couldn't have helped but note this.

That isn't a problem with my assertion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't read this as questioning judicial bias but rather bias in the authorities that collated evidence that will fully omitted pertinent facts as to the sources which may have been material to the judge signing off on the warrant. The fact those authorities hide everything possible from public eyes and deals in dark corridors of power makes the memo significant because it shows political bias in those agencies who hold significant power that could be a game changer in who succeeds through an election. It is very relevant.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

bias in the authorities that collated evidence that will fully omitted pertinent facts as to the sources which may have been material to the judge signing off on the warrant

As Nunes did not read the FISA application, no one other than the FBI applicants knows whether there were omitted "pertinent facts."

• Nunes memo implies that there were undisclosed critical information but he admits he doesn't really know - deliberate ignorance to serve a political viewpoint? Meanwhile the FBI Director is on record as saying the Nunes memo omits and/or misconstrues FACTS contained in the application.
  • FBI Director has offered testimony before the House Judiciary Committee to address Nunes claims but the Republican majority refuses.

So the claims of political bias have thus far been unproven.

• It has also been unproven that any Nunes implied withheld information from the FISA application would have caused the application to be rejected by a FISA judge. The Republican Congress has in fact amended FISA several times now that makes the approval of a FISA application with minimal information.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

I don't read this as questioning judicial bias but rather bias in the authorities that collated evidence that will fully omitted pertinent facts as to the sources which may have been material to the judge signing off on the warrant. The fact those authorities hide everything possible from public eyes and deals in dark corridors of power makes the memo significant because it shows political bias in those agencies who hold significant power that could be a game changer in who succeeds through an election. It is very relevant.

Exactly ! To say that all FBI and DOJ officials are honest in conducting official business is a stretch.

34 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

As Nunes did not read the FISA application, no one other than the FBI applicants knows whether there were omitted "pertinent facts."

• Nunes memo implies that there were undisclosed critical information but he admits he doesn't really know - deliberate ignorance to serve a political viewpoint? Meanwhile the FBI Director is on record as saying the Nunes memo omits and/or misconstrues FACTS contained in the application.
  • FBI Director has offered testimony before the House Judiciary Committee to address Nunes claims but the Republican majority refuses.

So the claims of political bias have thus far been unproven.

• It has also been unproven that any Nunes implied withheld information from the FISA application would have caused the application to be rejected by a FISA judge. The Republican Congress has in fact amended FISA several times now that makes the approval of a FISA application with minimal information.

Why does it matter if Nunes who is the author of the memo,read the FISA App facts?

Edited by riclag

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Why does it matter if Nunes who is the author of the memo,read the pertinent facts?

wouldn' t it be fairer if the American people can read both sides of the argument? Do you think trump will be so anxious to get the democrats memo unclassified?  i don't think he will

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

To say that all FBI and DOJ officials are honest in conducting official business is a stretch.

Is it a stretch to say that Trump's nominee Christopher Wray for FBI Director, former assistant attorney general under President George W. Bush who was approved unanimously by the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee and confirmed by the full Senate by a vote of 92-5 last August, is dishonest? 

Or if he isn't, he's just inept in running the FBI and fooled Republican congressmen and Trump that he could be honest and effective?

Yes, it is a stretch.

• Like 1

:cheesy:

The Nunes memo is a dud
https://www.vox.com/world/2018/2/2/16965086/nunes-memo-dud-release

“Worse than a nothing burger”: The Nunes memo lands with a thud
https://www.salon.com/2018/02/02/worse-than-a-nothingburger-the-nunes-memo-lands-with-a-dud/

The Secret Nunes Memo Is a Dud (It's Also Total BS)
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/02/the-secret-nunes-memo-is-a-dud-its-also-total-bs.html

And it goes on and on...

Vox.....paste magazine......salon.......Paragons of journalistic integrity......instead of juvenile journalism try reading the actual memo, I'm sure you can find an adult to help with the big words.....and if when you're finished you're not angered by the complete dishonesty of the former Democrat government you're naive.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

In the Trump administration TRUTH is not a viable commodity.

So I'm sure Nunes didn't give truth a moment's thought.

You didn't answer my ? Why does it matter if Nunes read the FISA App?

31 minutes ago, Slip said:

This is an awesome thread. Seth does a very in depth analysis of the memo.He sorts out the truth, half-truths and lies. 

In short, the memo shows no wrong-doings or misdeeds but only serves to attempt to undermine the Mueller investigation.

Seth mentions the following article which is also worth reading.

The Dubious Legal Claim Behind #ReleaseTheMemo

https://www.lawfareblog.com/dubious-legal-claim-behind-releasethememo

Edited by Silurian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Why does it matter if Nunes who is the author of the memo,read the FISA App facts?

A simply breathtaking statement. There is no point even trying to give an answer because as you have asked such a question it is clear that any answer would blow over your head like tumble weed. Proof that Darwin was wrong.

6 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Out of curiosity have you ever had security training on what  is / is not deemed to be classified info and the release of which in the public domain would be a potential threat to US National Security?

On another matter the memo is just so much noise as the subject of the Memo was not the trigger for the investigation. On the surveillance issue, Page was not working for the Trump camapaign with authorisation was issued. In addition...

"The court order for surveillance of Page was obtained weeks after Page and the Trump campaign had said Page was no longer part of the campaign. 

Moreover, the GOP memo confirms that the separate investigation into Russian contacts with the Trump campaign was prompted by information that was not contained in the Steele dossier"

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/02/politics/what-nunes-memo-means/index.html

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Exactly ! To say that all FBI and DOJ officials are honest in conducting official business is a stretch.

And to say that all FBI and DOJ are dishonest in conducting official business is an even bigger stretch stretch.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And to say that all FBI and DOJ are dishonest in conducting official business is an even bigger stretch stretch.

I didn't say that all were dishonest.

Special investigator must be appointed to investigate the investigators.   .Lets see those Fisa Apps.

Edited by riclag

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I didn't say that all were dishonest.

Special investigator must be appointed to investigate the investigators.   .Lets see those Fisa Apps.

Of course you didn't say that but you did imply it.

Why should the investigators be investigated?

They are doing their job.

What is wrong with investigating a proven liar?

But they are and he is called Donald Trump.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Of course you didn't say that but you did imply it.

Why should the investigators be investigated?

They are doing their job.

What is wrong with investigating a proven liar?

But they are and he is called Donald Trump.

Law enforcement isn't always honest. Why should investigators be investigated lol. Perhaps you heard of Oversight committees and internal affairs,that are designed to keep checks and balances  .

Enough said,to argue about this just proves my point. When there is doubt and lack of trust and people agree to disagree.  Time to appoint a special investigator.  

This is all a big farce. It's not about transparency. It's all about trump's effort to throw doo doo on the Mueller investigation and try to save his presidency. Yes his minority base and most of the republican party has his back on this no matter what. What's in the memo isn't the point in this high stakes game. It may work or maybe it will probably work. But for now the story ain't over.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, riclag said:

Law enforcement isn't always honest. Why should investigators be investigated lol. Perhaps you heard of Oversight committees and internal affairs,that are designed to keep checks and balances  .

Enough said,to argue about this just proves my point. When there is doubt and lack of trust and people agree to disagree.  Time to appoint a special investigator.  

US Presidents are not always honest either. Think about Nixon, the two Bushes, Clinton and now Trump.

However there is already a special investigator working on Trump so why would they need another?