SURVEY: Should Thailand limit the number of Tourists?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Thailand limit the number of tourists?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the now almost irreversible damage to the countries Eco systems

caused by the THAIS. Yes tourists do damage but only because the Thais take them places that can't cope. Coral reefs are destroyed because THAIS throw anchors on the coral. No tourists are crewing the speedboats. Maya Bay is destroyed because too many boats driven by Thais go there.

I've been to scenic areas that tourists never go that have been destroyed by locals throwing their garbage everywhere. Samet is a rubbish tip because the locals throw their rubbish everywhere.

There is truth in that!

Tourism doesn't mean that the locals have to destroy the environment to make a few bucks!

Vendors on James Bond island!

Construction should never have been allowed on places like Koh Phi Phi.

Then there are the issues of garbage disposal, of waste water, and so on, which are not the responsibility of tourists

A country the size of Thailand could cope with 20 or 25 million tourists (Las Vegas alone deals with double of that!), as long as it would be organized accordingly, which it is obviously not, as one can see as soon as landing at Bangkok airport!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the now almost irreversible damage to the countries Eco systems

caused by the THAIS. Yes tourists do damage but only because the Thais take them places that can't cope. Coral reefs are destroyed because THAIS throw anchors on the coral. No tourists are crewing the speedboats. Maya Bay is destroyed because too many boats driven by Thais go there.

I've been to scenic areas that tourists never go that have been destroyed by locals throwing their garbage everywhere. Samet is a rubbish tip because the locals throw their rubbish everywhere.

My comment wasn't directed at tourists as such, it was a comment about environmental degradation caused by the usual suspects, greed, population pressures and poor education.

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's called "Slumming".

"To visit impoverished areas or squalid locales, especially out of curiosity or for amusement."

"Slumming crossed not only ethnic and class lines, but sexual lines as well. “That is, a spectatorship of sexualized groups,” Professor Heap said. He noted that people would go and gawk at prostitutes, gays, lesbians and cross-dressers. It allowed many in the upper middle class to explore sexual identities without the constraints of their own neighborhoods."

6 days of it commencing tomorrow for me.

Make sure you keep a tight zip on your valuables.

Edited by Ossy
clarity

3 hours ago, PhonThong said:

The best approach would be to keep the locals out of the tourist areas. It would be much more pleasant. Cleaner and quieter. 

You can't be serious............

Thailand belongs to the Thai people,

not to the tourists.

34 minutes ago, Ninni said:

not to the tourists.

You are right Ninni, let us stop all international tourists and see how quick Thailand dies financially. Wake up Ninni the international tourists bring too much money into Thailand and the way to keep that money coming in is for the local Thais to lift their game and take some pride in their own country and stop destroying it with all their rubbish dumped everywhere and to stop trying to rip the tourist off. A lot of Thais are driven by one thing and one thing only and that is greed and how they can rip the international tourist off and some of them even lie to do it.

The buses should bring groups to cities in Isaan where they can see the real Thai life and ricefarms.

So if they want tickets for the national parks they also have to buy daytours to Korat and Khonkaen to name some.

Also i don't understand why they go to Pattaya, Chinese don't need those hookers so why go there? Pattaya is for western sexpats.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

The buses should bring groups to cities in Isaan where they can see the real Thai life and ricefarms.

Thanks but no thanks...Isaan is the only really Thai region left...

Edited by Brunolem

Just now, Brunolem said:

Thanks but no thanks...Isaan is the only really Thai place left...

Where they all want more money, so it's best to bring the walking atm's to there so they can give it directly in their hands. Phuket gets far too many tourists, they have to get spread all over the country.

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

Also i don't understand why they go to Pattaya, Chinese don't need those hookers so why go there? Pattaya is for western sexpats.

They go to Pattaya, first because there is a lot of cheap accomodation, which they won't find in Isaan, and because, like many tourists, they don't want to feel too far from home...eating the same food as if they had stayed home, buying the same brands in the same shops, being always close to an aircon room or shopping center...

It has nothing to do with the sex life...

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

They go to Pattaya, first because there is a lot of cheap accomodation, which they won't find in Isaan, and because, like many tourists, they don't want to feel too far from home...eating the same food as if they had stayed home, buying the same brands in the same shops, being always close to an aircon room or shopping center...

It has nothing to do with the sex life...

They have cheap accomodation upcountry, sure they have...and if not they can always build it.

Feed them real local thai food at buffets upcountry, live prawns, sneakheadfish, skinny chickens, spicy dishes with ricefield crabs, fieldmouses and everything else what they eat there.

They can park their buses easy, spend money in the villages, talk to the locals....better for everyone.

18 minutes ago, Thian said:

So if they want tickets for the national parks they also have to buy daytours to Korat and Khonkaen to name some.

IMO they go to Pattaya because there were loads of empty hotel rooms after the Russians and many westerners stopped going. Got cheap deals.

Issan doesn't have the infrastructure to house thousands of package tourists.

Anyway, the Chinese go to eat seafood on Larn and buy junk that was probably made in China in the first place. No fresh seafood in Issan.

1 hour ago, Ninni said:

not to the tourists.

You have obviously not been paying attention. Thailand belongs to whoever spends the most money.. Was that way when I first got here 46 years ago and is still that way now.  

48 minutes ago, Thian said:

They have cheap accomodation upcountry, sure they have...and if not they can always build it.

Feed them real local thai food at buffets upcountry, live prawns, sneakheadfish, skinny chickens, spicy dishes with ricefield crabs, fieldmouses and everything else what they eat there.

They can park their buses easy, spend money in the villages, talk to the locals....better for everyone.

No cheap accomodations enough for thousands of tourists!

And anyway, only the most hardened backpackers can find pleasure in visiting remote villages...the bulk of tourists want Disneyland, or its Thai equivalent which is called Pattaya !

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO they go to Pattaya because there were loads of empty hotel rooms after the Russians and many westerners stopped going. Got cheap deals.

Issan doesn't have the infrastructure to house thousands of package tourists.

Anyway, the Chinese go to eat seafood on Larn and buy junk that was probably made in China in the first place. No fresh seafood in Issan.

Right, right and right!

No, just keep them confined to the tourist areas, please, pretty please; and the rest of us, Thais and non-Thais, can go our merry way. Eventually they'll drown in their own filth I suppose. Still, plenty of places yet where you can be the only farang in the village, and like "Wow", they're just normal people.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Thailand has the full jurisdiction to seal it's borders.

What's stopping the Kingdom from doing that instead of complaining?

20 million tourists all spending thousands of baht?

7 minutes ago, mrfill said:

20 million tourists all spending thousands of baht?

Ah Ha!   

So you're suggesting the Kingdom is money hungry while complaining about the source of some of its funds?

3 hours ago, Jabers said:

possible. i still keep 1 just in case. it was my majority holding last year. but now its about 10% of my holdings (i mean hodlings) as i see alot more potential growth in many other coins

A bit late in the day talking      about  restrictions in certain areas Bangkok and Pattaya in the tourist season are over crowded  we were in Vientaine  Laos a few weeks back  people walking and cycling  on the roads enjoying themselves like Thailand was like about 30-40 years ago Try that now and you have a good chance of landing up in the hospital to much traffic cars  motor bikes ect No one takes notice of the road rules here speeding ect  Maybe time to start restricting vehicles on certain roads 

I think that, unfortunately, the only way of reducing the impact of visitors which has so damaged some locations ( beaches, coral etc) is to impose some sort of limit. How this can be done without it becoming merely a business opportunity for those in authority or the associated " influential people" I don't know.

Perhaps we can zone Thailand, and exclude certain people from certain areas. For example why not ban sweaty people with deadlocked, beaded, unwashed hair, and baggy (fisherman's) trousers, from the Northern provinces. Oh, and whilst you are about it, refuse entry to those fat western women (they're always fat aren't they) who sit in bars nursing a small beer and glaring at you because you are flirting with the serving girls who are infinitely more attractive and entertaining than they are...

There now, I feel better now.

It is a question of selection and personal preferences.  Management of the increasing numbers will become critical in the near future, but it must be overseen properly, and not lead to just more greed and corruption.  People who come to stay in less touristy spots will never find numbers a problem - it is more Pattaya, Phuket and the like.

I don't think that Western tourists are doing the damage, the travel groups from China do not accumulate a lot of money, but the mass is making profit. 

Make it a bit more expensive for guys who spit inside pools while others are swimming inside. 

11 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Thailand has the full jurisdiction to seal it's borders.

What's stopping the Kingdom from doing that instead of complaining?

Thailand would be pretty much like Myanmar without tourists. Not bad, and a lot of people wouldn't have the chance to be corrupt.

16 hours ago, gamini said:

Let's face it. They go there to see the world largest sex supermarket, the utter decadence, the ugly old sexpats, the ladyboys, the sex shows and perhaps the excitement of mingling with the riffraff of pimps, criminals and other undesirable people who live there. It certainly is not the beach or the polluted water. There is no place in the world like it.

The Chinese tour buses come in droves to the monuments around Pratumnak.. You seem to confusing a couple of areas that represents about 1% of the whole area as being representative of the whole of greater Pattaya.

20180201_184050.jpg

20180203_144926.jpg

20180131_121355.jpg

20180201_185859.jpg