Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

webfact

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The driver started squealing the tires while still in the lane behind the car.  Better to veer into the other lane and hit a little motorcycle.  Less damage to the vehicles.  SIGH.

That's what I thought when I saw the video. The driver was way too fast, and in the lane behind the standing car, then actively steers into the motorbike. Safer for him, better for his car, no matter that he would likely kill the poor girl on the motorbike.

And.. putting his car ahead of the girls life, should be charged with second degree murder, or voluntary manslaughter at the very least. That he checks how badly his car is damaged before even glancing on his victim is just the icing on the cake. Disgusting!

8 hours ago, tallfarang said:

Brakes worked fine when when she actually applied them. 

Pity that car didn't have a steering wheel,just a little to the left would have saved all this,but she would have had to put her phone down first though.Although even one hand on the wheel could have saved that nurse.Anyway I give that driver 10 out of 10 for coming up with brake failure.Good job the police cannot work out how the brakes suddenly came on immediately after the accident.

Yes, I hope the Cow that banged up the innocent Nurse, does get 5 years. But I doubt it.

And well after skimming this road carnage stuff for months now, .. I can just say a couple of things, and hope that some Thais are listening also, ...

"A Points system that IS Enforced" where if you drive badly, and get caught, and loose them all, you do not drive for 6 mths.

"And Fines" - "That also are Enforced" ... and that is it. And I DO think this would do it eventually, like in other places.

I drive and I like it, ...but I must be Lucky, and also get to drive in the better places.

I think that the Thai people would come at this Points system and Fines. It is just getting the Police to enforce them I think ? ... 

... The Police, ... I do not know about Bangkok, but here in the central provinces at least the cops rarely stop cars, they almost always stop trucks ! ? ... Why ? ... Well I reckon that trucks are commercial, like they have cash flow, and make money for people, so well the first rule of Extortion, only extort money out of people that can pay it, out of their own running funds, …. like trucks, ... ...  

... and as you cannot be sure about who the guy in the car is, so he might be an important person, the wrong one to try extortion on, or well, cars are private vehicles, rarely ever directly making money (Except Taxis which get stopped also I would not mind betting) …. So private cars are not really, a Thai target for graft, not up here in the country any way, ... But Trucks, business vehicles, with cash flow, .... Are !!!

I have only been stopped Oh 6 times in ? 15 years of reasonable wide spread driving, fined legally twice, with receipts, and the wife once, for not wearing her seat belt, like I was guilty all of those times, (And it was heap also). I have only ever been exhorted once, while in a hired pickup, (In Bangkok) … and let off once near Rayon, when I WAS Guilty, ... and just checked the other times.

And I am not unhappy with the cops, but well, yes I think that it is now time for them to have to  enforce a points system, and fines, this is where we have all come to now I think, ... and it HAS to happen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smew said:

Jail time: 6 months minimum

The word you're looking for is years. If someone driving way too fast actively chooses to hit the motorbike instead of the car to minimize damage to his car he has to know that this action will very likely kill the person on the motorbike. In Germany they charged a similar case with second degree murder. The constitutional court is revising the verdict, but so far it looks solid.

Same should be done here.

43 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

43 minutes ago, Russell17au said:
2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Of course the car driver is clearly at fault but why is she sitting on the mbike where she is in the middle of such an open road making herself so vulnerable. If she is going straight on she should be on the left edge of the road near the people gathered there, if she was planning to turn right  at the intersection a little ahead of the junction, which I suspect she was, she should have been or could have been in the grey coloured lane/ hard shoulder on the other side of the stopped car next to the central reservation.

So it is the bike riders fault because she is stopped in the left hand lane? Rubbish! SunsetT

Yes she is stopped in the left hand lane, but on the far right hand side of it in the middle of the highway leaving her really exposed for no reason at all. Poor girl should have been on the left of the left hand lane. It is even Thai law that mbikes should stay on the inside. Not that that counts for much! As I said above, I suspect she intended to turn right so should have been in the 3rd outside lane more safely tucked up against the central reservation.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The car's brakes did not fail, they worked very well after the motorcyclist was hit as the video shows. Just a BS excuse to try to avoid responsibility.

Having said that, the motor cyclist did contribute to the accident by being stopped in the fast lane. In the scooter lane on the left, the car driver could not have hit her and could well have been cleaned up by a larger vehicle. Not sure if they were facing a red light.

Shouldn't all drivers be able to stop, no matter of what's on the road? You don't have to contribute to an accident, I got hit twice, once when a motorcycle became airborne. 

The left lane was occupied with a lot of other bikes and she wasn't on the fast lane, that's the right one. She's on the left lane and the driver should never drive again. But a 500 baht fine will do it. 

5 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Pity that car didn't have a steering wheel,just a little to the left would have saved all this

Watch the video again!

If the car didn't have a steering wheel the driver would have crashed into the standing car, causing a bit of damage, but no major injuries.

And a little bit to the right would have saved all this. But driver preferrd to steer into the girl.. softer target, less damage to him.

57 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i know its not the bike riders fault at all but why was she not nearer the curb side ? in the uk we are taught slower moving traffic keeps to the left in Thailand all these bikes seem to want to be in the fast lanes all the time, i see them on the Sukumvite daily. being in the middle of the road is asking for trouble with these people behind the wheel. 

They line up across all lanes as being at the front is safer, they’re off quick and only just get caught by the cars at the next lights, that to me is safe use of road

18 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Yes she is stopped in the left hand lane, but on the far right hand side of it in the middle of the highway leaving her really exposed for no reason at all. Poor girl should have been on the left of the left hand lane. It is even Thai law that mbikes should stay on the inside. Not that that counts for much! As I said above, I suspect she intended to turn right so should have been in the 3rd outside lane more safely tucked up against the central reservation.

You better brush up on the Land Transport Act because there is nothing that states that a motorbike must use the left hand side of the left hand lane. Where she was, she was quite legal to be there. She was in the left hand lane as the law states plus the gutter lane was occupied by the police and the other motorbikes that she was not a part of.

• Like 1

Thank You all for your kind words. Praew is my stepdaughter and as an update she has survived this horrific crash with no broken bones, her spleen has been ruptured and fotunatley only slight bruising to her brain.She is being treated at Udon hospital where she did her nursing training including her International nursing diploma and is being treated by her teaching doctors and is being well looked after, she is out of ICU and in the surgical ward. As her stepdad you can imagine my horror seeing your little girl lying on the road with not a shred of compassion shown by either the policeman or the woman who was driving. The woman who was driving to her credit has come to the hospital and apologised to her Mum and has offered any help she can .I am back in Australia and just feel so helpless.
It must must be frustrating for you being so far away. I am very happy to hear that your step daughter seems to be able to make a full recovery over the coming days or weeks. Good wishes to you and your Thai family.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dinooz57 said:

Thank You all for your kind words. Praew is my stepdaughter and as an update she has survived this horrific crash with no broken bones, her spleen has been ruptured and fotunatley only slight bruising to her brain.She is being treated at Udon hospital where she did her nursing training including her International nursing diploma and is being treated by her teaching doctors and is being well looked after, she is out of ICU and in the surgical ward. As her stepdad you can imagine my horror seeing your little girl lying on the road with not a shred of compassion shown by either the policeman or the woman who was driving. The woman who was driving to her credit has come to the hospital and apologised to her Mum and has offered any help she can .I am back in Australia and just feel so helpless.

I hope the best for you and your family but if I was you I  will sue her and try everything for put he in monkey house but that's just me

There seems to be a lot of criticism about nobody trying to check and help the young lady even the police office, sometimes it is better if they do not check her because unless they are fully trained in first aid they can do more damage than it is worth. My understanding is that the police are not trained in first aid and even some of the "ambulance" crews are not that well trained. I came across an accident and the "ambulance" crew were there and one of them was trying to do CPR and I dragged him away and did it myself because he had no idea of what he was doing. He had his hands in the wrong place and would have broken all the mans right side ribs. But the police officer should have secured the scene and made it safe for everyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You better brush up on the Land Transport Act because there is nothing that states that a motorbike must use the left hand side of the left hand lane. Where she was, she was quite legal to be there. She was in the left hand lane as the law states plus the gutter lane was occupied by the police and the other motorbikes that she was not a part of.

Regardless of the laws (and there is no need for an appendage measuring contest) this incident does highlight for any motorcycle rider to 'protect themselves' whenever stationary in the road at lights etc... 

• Like 1

Thank you Dinooz57. I'm so happy to hear she's alive and in the care of good people. And surprised and pleased the driver of the assault car has come forward to help. While not such a good story over all, it looks like the best of outcomes are strongly indicated for your step-daughter's sake. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Regardless of the laws (and there is no need for an appendage measuring contest) this incident does highlight for any motorcycle rider to 'protect themselves' whenever stationary in the road at lights etc... 

There was nothing she could do because even if she had been in the left hand side of the lane that car would have still hit her because she could not get off the road because it was occupied by the police and the other bikers that he had stopped.

2 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

I strongly disagree! The driver.. Should have gone up to the girl.. Held her hand.. and comforted her! As it happens this girl (could be any one of daughter!) is in ok shape. This might have been her final moments and not one f'ing person came to to comfort her. To me... this is inexcusable.. and frankly disgusting and offensive to many close to her I would imagine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The big problem with someone trying to hold the victims hand is that they end up trying to move the victim and unless they are medically trained it is the worst thing you can do. go and sit near the victim and try and comfort the victim but do not touch the victim.

• Like 1

In thailand it is quite normal 4 a driver to watch tv while driving this distraction can go on without  sanction

In the west this does not happen because we have proper training and learner driving is practiced before issue of a full drivers licence

the motor industry setup in thailand was given an incentive to sell cars to natives through easy finance with no driving laws or training in place makes thailand one of the most dangerous places to drive

Edited by retirementenquiry

we all know thai cops dont make much money. but this video will do real damage to the thai tourist industry. the sight of a cop on scene. and after shes hit he stands thier looking at car and dinking on his mobile, will do real damage to the thai tourist industry and the thai police credibility. that cop should be arrested for not helping the woman

• Like 2