Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

webfact

3 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

The brakes failed - so what's the squealing noise before she hits the poor nurse's bike??

I've hardly ever heard of brake failure in Europe. They must have completely different brake systems in Thailand, as it seems very common here...

Blame the Japanese for their shitty cars, but never a Thai who can't drive. 

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

The amazing things is that the brakes mysteriously failed before the accident, then the bang in the collision made them work fine. Amazing Thailand!

Wonder if the police ever think to check her mobile phone providers records and see if her phone was in use at the time of the accident? Police forces in the UK do.

Apples and pears, you're not comparing like for like there.

Roughly, Thailand has about the same population as the UK, and yet Thailand has nearly twice the number of police.

There's no real point in asking what all the police here do all day, because we know already - not a lot (irrespective of the one in this instance being on some sort of traffic duty and being in the vicinity).

Just now, jackdd said:

The first question would be: Is there a law in Thailand that prohibits using your phone while driving?

I don't know about the specific laws in the UK, but in for example Germany only using (touching) your phone is prohibited, so if you are using a speakerphone and don't have the phone in your hand, this would be allowed, so in this case checking the phone providers records wouldn't provide any evidence.

In the UK there are some very specific laws about using a mobile phone, hands free etc. There are also laws about driving with due care and attention, driving dangerously etc. If someone was messing with their phone, even hands free, they'd still be liable to charges around due care and attention, dangerous driving etc depending the circumstances.

I do believe Thailand has laws prohibiting using your phone whilst driving, careless driving, dangerous driving etc. Whether they are enforced is another matter.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Apples and pears, you're not comparing like for like there.

Roughly, Thailand has about the same population as the UK, and yet Thailand has nearly twice the number of police.

There's no real point in asking what all the police here do all day, because we know already - not a lot (irrespective of the one in this instance being on some sort of traffic duty and being in the vicinity).

There is very little similarity between the RTP and UK police forces!

There are about 150k officers in various forces about the UK. The number has fallen considerably since 2009, hence the political debates. Some of that can be attributed to technology benefits but a lot is simply down to cuts and demoralizing of the service.  The RTP strength is about 210-230k. The main moderator for differences in manpower size is cost. UK police don't buy positions and the majority aren't at it to supplement low wages. The point is that investigations rarely seem to happen here. Looked at the way the cop at the junction sauntered over and then completely ignored the prone victim. 

If the girl would have had the hemet properly fastened it would not have come off and saved her to somewhat.

Usual brake failure excuse because they are so dumb that they don't know cars have 2 braking systems and if the brakes did fail what was all that screeching noise and how did she did she suddenly stop in the end.

On the mobile looking at Facebook properly I never get in a car with women drivers the men are bad enough.

Poor girl hope she gets well soon and paid a good compensation, best of luck. 

Brake fail...I hope the police checked this asap. Why choose to hit someone on a bike rather than hit the car in front of you? I'd say the driver was not paying any attention to the road. Hope the cops checked her phone and time sequence of her chat messages. 

This totally avoidable incident happened almost certainly due to the lady car driver having to check some extremely important Line message or Facebook post that could not be missed, 90% of the population here are addicted and seem totally obsessed with looking at their phones regardless of what they are doing.

I do hope the nurse manages to survive this and makes a full recovery.

Why do you expect better in Thailand.

A lady collapsed at the front of a major BKK shopping centre and everyone including guards just stood there. Some had time to take out cell phones and film it.

My mate had to jump in and give her first aid.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But did you notice that the helmet came off, it was not fastened.

You get what you pay for.

Good helmet's bands are not low grade plastic snap-ons, that break if you fart to loud, but a hard strong fabric that you roll into a loop, over hard steel rings, that will hold tight on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd crash.

Plus not wearing a full helmet, you front face will become pancake, when you smash your face into a car or the curb.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I was surprised how little interest the policeman showed, guess he had to finish the fine in hand first.

He really did. There's a full 15-20 minute clip around from when he first pulled up the motorcycles. After the accident and doing nothing to help, he saunters back down the road to get the 500 baht 'fines' and give them their keys back. He's getting slaughtered for it on social media so it could possibly stir some action against him.

43 minutes ago, sanemax said:

My point was that the RTP should fight the war on drugs and also enforce traffic laws .

I dont think that the RTP should stop the war on drugs to focus on traffic law enforcing .

They should do both , IMO

My point was, they are incapable of either, seperately and certainly not both at the same time

3 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

He really did. There's a full 15-20 minute clip around from when he first pulled up the motorcycles. After the accident and doing nothing to help, he saunters back down the road to get the 500 baht 'fines' and give them their keys back. He's getting slaughtered for it on social media so it could possibly stir some action against him.

No. 

10 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

link?

51 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

The brakes failed - so what's the squealing noise before she hits the poor nurse's bike??

I've hardly ever heard of brake failure in Europe. They must have completely different brake systems in Thailand, as it seems very common here...

NO......It's common just to lie in thailand!

It just goes to show that the mindset here is so different in all respects to western european standards. No immediate thought for human life as materialistic things seem to have priority. The injured do not get attended to normally until the "rescue vehicle" arrives as you could be accused of injuring the victim ........... Thai law being so different to European law. Seeing this video really angers me to think that no one, even the policeman is not concerned & the woman is just left on the road injured ..... appalling.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Just an assumption by me, but maybe that's not relevant in Thai law . It could be that she is charged with negligent driving and and if the reason is brake or brain failure wouldn't make a difference regarding the punishment or fine.

I think the cops usually don't know how to handle a situation like this, because nobody ever teaches them. You can see this in many different kind of videos, there is an unexpected, maybe dangerous situation, where you would clearly expect the police to help / intervene, but they just stand there and watch, because they have no idea what to do.

Best to wait for someone ie Ambulance to arrive to attend to a patient like that in case of spinal damage.

Moving her would have caused permanent damage if they do not know what to do properly.

That's complete 100% BS. Either the idiot driver is playing with the damned phone, or fiddling with something else in the car. That car isn't that old - not common to have complete brake failure. Plus, if the brake really failed, she wouldn't have stopped so quickly after hitting the motorcycle. Also, the car's nose dived moments before hitting the poor nurse, so the brakes were definitely working. I just wish she'd hit something else, like a concrete boulder or something. Thank goodness the nurse is ok.

Unbelievable. 

The hazard perception in this country is literally non - existent. The speed the car is travelling at, and with what I assume is clearly a red light, surely points to a complete lack of concentration (phone, radio etc). 

To then have the cheek to say the brakes 'failed', when it is obvious by the video and the sound that they didn't, is utterly scandalous. The people who got out the car weren't even bothered. The woman had a quick glance then went back to look in the car, and the man was more concerned with the front bumper. <deleted>. 

The whole lack of responsibility / saving face crap is the biggest thing holding this place back. As usual though I assume the driver won't be jailed. Just a quick wai, a nice Brands gift box and a few thousand Baht will sort it all out :saai:

4 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Her brakes worked well enough after the collision. This is a clear case of negligent driving. Thoughts go out to the nurse - hope she recovers.

The impact of the collision magically shook the brakes back into alignment which is why they worked later on. 

U can see on vid she goes full speed then hit breakes and u hear breaking noise. They worked 100%

This cop that was illegal checkpoint.

No first aid, no one even got close to her.

Disgrace

Archived