Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

webfact

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I am not sure many of us would know what to do in a case like this. Hit that hard and sent 30m just where would the average citizen start with first aid. And yes, her helmet flew off, not attached properly which is often the case. Brake failure? So what was that screech? That video needs to be shown in class to all Thai schoolkids as a warning about attention, helmet use and safety. 

Unfortunately you are correct, where would the average Thai start , 1: by ignoring it  2 : take a selfie 3: stand and look.

Sometime back a truck laden with vegetables didn't make the turn and rolled onto its side at reasonable speed virtually in front on my car, I anticipated what was going to happen and had virtually stopped before the truck did. Within 1 minute  I had help the driver out through the smashed windscreen, checked for any other people in the truck and my wife (Thai) had called the emergency number. See it's not all that difficult.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think the cops usually don't know how to handle a situation like this, because nobody ever teaches them. You can see this in many different kind of videos, there is an unexpected, maybe dangerous situation, where you would clearly expect the police to help / intervene, but they just stand there and watch, because they have no idea what to do

That's never occurred to me before, that they've not been taught how to react.

In the west it's always been drilled into just about everyone that you need to attend to the injured first and call for medical assistance PDQ.

I suppose that the low priority given to life here will make it more difficult to change attitudes towards the way people react.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

She was wearing a helmet.

Yes it is amazing as no one even goes anywhere near this poor woman.

The driver was obviously speeding and not paying attention to the road, not slowing down while approaching the intersection until it is too late. 

lets hope this poor woman survives.

And this is why I always hug the far left side of the road while waiting at a intersection and watch my rear view mirror the whole time watching approaching traffic.

I do exactly as you do, also put on my hazard lights, and put the foot on and off the brakes if I think some dipstick isn't slowing.

The strangest thing I have observed about Thai drivers/riders is that they remind me of horses with blinkers on, not knowing how to look around, only straight ahead and bolt to the finish line.

Hope she has a full recovery and all expenses paid by this stupid driver who's brakes worked fine, add compensation of 100,000 baht to her as a minimum for enduring such an incident. 

Last but not least, take this driver off the road, breath test her/him, if all clear, ban them for driving for at least 3 years.

50 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But did you notice that the helmet came off, it was not fastened.

Most of the (cheap) helmets that are sold in Thailand will come off by impact at high speed.
They have only a chin strap which is not holding when an impact ay high speed is applied to the victim.
Worse, they even add the injury when they come off.

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

"She has been charged with negligent driving causing injury."

What the <deleted>??????????????

It was plain murder.

And the cop should be thrown in jail for setting a checkpoint at an intersection and deny help to a victim.

Has the nurse died?

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

She was wearing a helmet.

Yes she was, but I can't see clearly from the video if she was still wearing it after the accident?

The hood of her jacket is covering her head, but from the way her hair seems to be 'loose', I wonder if her helmet came off in the accident, indicating it perhaps wasn't fastened?

I couldn't see it come off as she went through the air. Don't know if someone else has better eyesight than me?

2 hours ago, Davef2912 said:

'Uuii!', "Oii!', "Uhh!" - useless pack of idiots all around! No one helps the lady on the floor in dire need! In my country all of them would be prosecuted for failure to help but in Thailand this is normal. It's about time the government introduces a proper driving test including first aid course so nobody can claim that they didn't know how to help the victim.

"No one helps the lady on the floor in dire need! In my country all of them would be prosecuted for failure to help but in Thailand this is normal."

It is not normal, this was an exception.

I like the  way they dont "secure"  the road  immediately to stop further <deleted>  causing another casualty, total lack of  compassion for the girl, at least id  go up and hold her hand  or something and talk to her.

Note the fact her helmet flys straight off, usually undone or done up way way too  loose, when fitting helmets  you should be able to do it up and not get it  off your head at all.

I hear those brakes working just fine.

58 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I am not sure many of us would know what to do in a case like this. Hit that hard and sent 30m just where would the average citizen start with first aid. 

Remember your ABC's

81iEjlq9Y4L._SL1500_.jpg

I just noticed this is an older first aid chart. Today the emphasis is on chest compressions over mouth to mouth. It is more important to make the heart pump than it is to put air in the lungs. Something like 20 compressions per mouth to mouth breath. Someone more qualified can confirm or deny that for me.

18 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Most of the (cheap) helmets that are sold in Thailand will come off by impact at high speed.
They have only a chin strap which is not holding when an impact ay high speed is applied to the victim.
Worse, they even add the injury when they come off.

You're right  but it's more fun for posters here to blame the girl even though they have no idea whether the strap was fastened or not.

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's never occurred to me before, that they've not been taught how to react.

Maybe not "not taught at all", but obviously not taught sufficiently, as you can see by this accident here and on many other occasions.

For example this "road rage" scene with the older foreigner and a Thai a while ago. The Thai hit the foreigner right in front of the cop, and the cop just didn't know what he should do, and thus did nothing. In any western country it would probably have taken a few seconds and the Thai would have been down on the floor being handcuffed.

OK OK..enough of this BS brake failure excuses already...this is utterly horrific, uncalled for and disgusting..this country needs to wake up...I hope this woman is ok but it will be a very long healing process...they should throw the book at this idiotic driver

12 minutes ago, Lingba said:

OK OK..enough of this BS brake failure excuses already...this is utterly horrific, uncalled for and disgusting..this country needs to wake up...I hope this woman is ok but it will be a very long healing process...they should throw the book at this idiotic driver

They probably will, a book of tickets to the policeman's tea fund.... 

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Ok, I'll go first :

Collecting tea money. 

Your turn. 

My point was that the RTP should fight the war on drugs and also enforce traffic laws .

I dont think that the RTP should stop the war on drugs to focus on traffic law enforcing .

They should do both , IMO

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Probably busy playing with her phone instead of looking at the street, as soon as she hit the motorbike the brakes seemed to work.

you are 100% correct, as a pedestrian I have witnessed 3 accidents exactly like this, the person in the white car had his/her face buried in a mobile phone and looked up at the last minute then applied the brakes as can be clearly heard from the video, all too late

Like I keep repeating - mobile use while driving I believe is the number one cause of accidents in Thailand, this is primarily based on my observations while out and about

The authorities really need to start coming down hard on this dangerous addiction which is now being described as an illness by the WHO

But with no proactive law enforcement in Thailand then there is not much chance  

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I wonder if the cops ever check the brakes,after someone

has had an accident and blamed brake failure, when really

it's obvious that its Brain failure.

regards Worgeordie

The amazing things is that the brakes mysteriously failed before the accident, then the bang in the collision made them work fine. Amazing Thailand!

Wonder if the police ever think to check her mobile phone providers records and see if her phone was in use at the time of the accident? Police forces in the UK do.

The brakes failed - so what's the squealing noise before she hits the poor nurse's bike??

I've hardly ever heard of brake failure in Europe. They must have completely different brake systems in Thailand, as it seems very common here...

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Wonder if the police ever think to check her mobile phone providers records and see if her phone was in use at the time of the accident? Police forces in the UK do.

The first question would be: Is there a law in Thailand that prohibits using your phone while driving?

I don't know about the specific laws in the UK, but in for example Germany only using (touching) your phone is prohibited, so if you are using a speakerphone and don't have the phone in your hand, this would be allowed, so in this case checking the phone providers records wouldn't provide any evidence.

Archived