ItalThai president arrested for alleged poaching in Kanchanaburi

webfact

ItalThai president arrested for alleged poaching in Kanchanaburi

By The Nation

58737f2125d66fdfc111df793dc09e2b-sld.jpe

Premchai (sitting).//Photo : Sasin Chalermlarp/s Facebook

The president of Italian-Thai Development construction company, Premchai Karnasuta, has been arrested for alleged poaching in the Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary in Kanchanaburi, an official said on Tuesday.

Sompote Maneerat, a spokesman for the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, said Premchai was arrested at a campsite in the wildlife sanctuary on Sunday night.

The businessman was taken to Thong Pha Phume police station to be charged. He denied all the charges.

Sompote said park officials guarding the wildlife sanctuary were informed at 2pm Sunday that a group of people was camping in a prohibited area of the sanctuary.

When they checked and found Premchai and several others.

They also found carcasses of a Kalij pheasant, a barking deer and a black panther at the camp, Sompote said.

Two rifles, a shotgun and ammunition were also seized.

Sompote said that although Premchai denied poaching, the officials had a lot of evidence against him.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338080

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-06

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ital-Thai boss Premchai Kanasutra arrested for hunting black panther

By Thai PBS

black-panther-carcass.jpg

Italian-Thai Development Plc president Premchai Kanasutra has been arrested along with friends for hunting protected animals in Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary in Thong Phaphum district of Kanchanaburi province.

The arrest of Mr Premchai on Sunday at 2.00pm was revealed only yesterday after a Facebook user, Khon Anurak, posted photographs of the raid at a jungle camp by forestry rangers of the Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary where they found carcasses of several slaughtered protected animals which included a black panther, Khalij pheasant, barking deer at the camp.

The area where Mr Premchai and his friends set up camp is near Huey Paso stream at Maharaj forest protection unit in the western zone of Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary which is declared off limits and camping is prohibited by forestry law.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ital-thai-boss-premchai-kanasutra-arrested-hunting-black-panther/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-06

27 minutes ago, jvs said:

With all of this evidence he is still denying.

Looking forward to shearing his part of the story,who can you blame for this?

It's always the rich,famous,and influential people who plead

not guilty,even though evidence says otherwise,as they know

they can always wriggle out of any charges,through friends,

money,or influence. only the poor ,man in the street are" encouraged,"

to plead guilty .

regards Worgeordie

hardly the crime of the century. fine and done. although i disagree with him shooting the panther and any other endangered animals. i have a plan. i can be a game keeper and breed pheasants to be shot. why didn't i think of this before. let me contact the labour department

Investigation into arrested CEO Premchai to be conducted fairly and according to the law: minister

c9df387f1ce4b9eeaf8d1b9449eab2f6.jpeg

Premchai (sitting).//Photo : Sasin Chalermlarp/s Facebook

High-ranking officials of the Natural Resources and Environment ministry, including the minister, today asked the public to wait for results of the investigation into the arrest of a CEO of huge listed construction firm in a wildlife sanctuary in Kanchanaburi province before passing judgement.

Surasak Kanjanarat and the director general of national park, wildlife and plant department, Thanya Netithamkul, said in separate interviews that the probes into Premchai Karnasuta’s arrest in Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary on Sunday night would be undertaken in strict accordance with the law and based on the evidence available.

“Don’t blame anyone yet or judge who is wrong or right. Instead, let us all wait for the investigators to speak,” Surasak said.

Asked whether the ministry officials were involved in the allegations, Surasak said he had no further information.

Meanwhile Director General Thanya told reporters that the investigation would be done in accordance with the law. “The investigators are in the process of gathering information and evidence and the officials will undertake the investigation with justice and fairness to all parties concerned, Thanya said.

Premchai was arrested at his campsite in the wildlife sanctuary on Sunday night and taken to Thong Pha Phume police station where he was charged. He has maintained his innocence.

The carcasses of Kalij pheasants, a black leopard and barking deer as well as two rifles and a shotgun were reportedly found at the campsite.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338093

thenation_logo.jpg

Ital-Thai president snared in raid on hunting camp

e51acd0a35e3db364bfae4a1fc173c8c-sld.jpe

Premchai (R)

Officials on patrol may have thought it would be a routine inspection when they were alerted about a campsite in a prohibited area in Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary in Kanchanaburi province on Sunday.

But when they arrived at the campsite early on Monday, they found rifles and the carcasses of protected animals – not to mention that one of the four campers at the site was Premchai Karnasuta, the president of the Italian-Thai Company, a major listed construction company that has won concessions for mega-projects in Thailand and abroad.

The supposedly routine inspection has since dominated the headlines in Thailand and international media given the high profile of the main suspect. The three others who were accompanying him are allegedly poachers and local villagers.

Sompote Maneerat, a spokesman of National Park, Wildlife and Plants Department, said Thung Yai officials had been alerted at about 2pm on Sunday that a group of people had set up camp in a prohibited area, spurring the inspection.

Sompote said the suspects including Premchai could be charged with illegal poaching, hunting and the possession of protected animals.

The carcasses of Kalij pheasants, a black leopard and an Indian muntjac barking deer as well as two rifles and a shotgun were reportedly found at the campsite.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338097

thenation_logo.jpg

I live in kanchanaburi and the place backs on to forest land. All night people scoot in to kill wildlife with everything from slingshots to rifles and weve complained but i guess its ok for some and not others.

Kanchanaburi has no working police force and the guys with there white dove suits are usually too lazy to care. Strange how this guy got done.

1 hour ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Someone has a lot to answer for; it may not be the CEO.

Of course not. It is the guy who posted the info on FB allowing it to become public before the payoffs. Ultimately, he will probably pay a lot more than the CEO does!

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

hardly the crime of the century. fine and done. although i disagree with him shooting the panther and any other endangered animals. i have a plan. i can be a game keeper and breed pheasants to be shot. why didn't i think of this before. let me contact the labour department

A row of pheasant heads over the fireplace isn't really impressive. ??