Razors & Shavers

Andyfez

1 minute ago, ozmeldo said:

I've a thickish beard. Bic 3 blade. Buy at Tesco 89-105b for 3. I'm good.

I'm glad it works for you.

There was one time when I had to unexpectedly spend the night away from home for work.

I bought a Bic razor from the 7 Eleven. My face was covered in razorburn(?) - red raw all over my beard area.

Never again.

Just now, bluesofa said:

There was one time when I had to unexpectedly spend the night away from home for work.

I bought a Bic razor from the 7 Eleven. My face was covered in razorburn(?) - red raw all over my beard area.

Never again.

It's not the same as the cheap two blade throwaways. it's three blades. I get about five shaves out of it.

I'll never go to four it's just ridiculous and money in the bin.

3 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

It's not the same as the cheap two blade throwaways. it's three blades. I get about five shaves out of it.

I'll never go to four it's just ridiculous and money in the bin.

OK, thanks.

Yes, I think it was the twin blade version, as that's all the 7 Eleven had.

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Never again.

Razorburn is caused by not shaving in the direction your hair grows ........ it's not the razor, but improper shaving technique.

8 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Razorburn is caused by not shaving in the direction your hair grows ........ it's not the razor, but improper shaving technique.

Thanks for the reply.

I had no idea about that, it's getting a little involved now!

I have used the Gillette Mach3 for years and have always shaved 'against the grain', I suppose you could call it, as I personally feel it gives a closer shave. No problems using the Gillette.

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the reply.

I have used the Gillette Mach3 for years and have always shaved 'against the grain', I suppose you could call it, as I personally feel it gives a closer shave. No problems using the Gillette.

https://www.toolsofmen.com/shaving-against-the-grain/

"When you shave against the grain, the blade of the razor tugs at the hair, pulling it away from the skin before slicing through. Some men think that this is beneficial, because the hair is cut closer to the skin, but the truth is that shaving against the grain can be a damaging way of getting a close shave. Pulling the hair away from the skin in order to cut it closer can increase the risk of ingrown hairs, which can swell up into unsightly red razor bumps."

And here

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/style/grooming/grooming-myth-8

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the reply.

I always used Wilkinson Razor G3 (not sure) when I moved to Thailand I brought many cartridges with me, but they eventually ran out. I cannot find Wilkinson here, so tried the Gillette Mach3, which in all honesty gave me a good shave, but the price of the replacement cartridges are very expensive. So have gone down the DE safety razor route, so far very happy with the result, hot water is a must though.

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

I always used Wilkinson Razor G3 (not sure) when I moved to Thailand I brought many cartridges with me, but they eventually ran out. I cannot find Wilkinson here, so tried the Gillette Mach3, which in all honesty gave me a good shave, but the price of the replacement cartridges are very expensive. So have gone down the DE safety razor route, so far very happy with the result, hot water is a must though.

I'm going to try the Watsons razor, for exactly the same reason as you - the cost. I was asking about it here:  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1023742-razors-shavers/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-12701052 

• 2 weeks later...

Started with a double-edge when I was a kid, now I use a Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide. The blades are a little pricey, but they each last at least two months (three in a pinch) and I get a smooth, comfortable shave. Next blades I buy will be the newer Pro-Shield.

I also use:

Shave Secret oil

Williams shaving soap

Parker badger brush

Georgetown shuttle-cup

Clubman Club-Mend bump-relief

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal aftershave

Tried a double-edge again a couple years ago, not for me.