SETV with delayed return ticket... advice please

Hi all,

Usually when staying 6 months in Thailand (on SETV's) we fly out after the first 60+30, thus never a problem showing an exit ticket as our route allways looks like this: 60+30 - exit by air to Penang, new SETV, 60+30 - exit back to home country.

This time around we are having a family reunion thingy and meeting up in Nong Khai and exiting after the first 60+30 via land to Laos... this will mean no exit ticket to show either when departing to Thailand initially or when landing Swampy. Will this be an issue and if so, where will the issue most likely occur? And what options other than buying a "fake" cheap Air Asia ticket do I have?

The METV is not an option as we do do not clear the document criteria.

Thanks in advance

KIO

The only time you, usually, get asked to produce an onward ticket is when applying for the visa. Immigration don’t, as a rule, ask for them on entry to the country.

If you need a ticket to get the visa you can buy a cheap (real) ticket to anywhere and simply not use it.

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The only time you, usually, get asked to produce an onward ticket is when applying for the visa. Immigration don’t, as a rule, ask for them on entry to the country.

If you need a ticket to get the visa you can buy a cheap (real) ticket to anywhere and simply not use it.

Helpful advice but not 100% correct,

If he is going to Nong Khai and exiting via there it stands to reason he will be applying for a new SETV at Vientianne where they don't ask for a onward ticket 

Edited by darrendsd

11 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Many thanks for the input!

On two occasions, both when flying with Qatar, they have asked both me and my wife upon check in (in Stockholm) why our return date is so far in the future... and on both occasions hesitant checking us in BEFORE showing them our work permits. Do you recon this might be an issue at the airport when saying "we are leaving by land" after the SETV expires?

KIO

7 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Helpful advice but not 100% correct,

If he is going to Nong Khai and exiting via there it stands to reason he will be applying for a new SETV at Vientianne where they don't ask for a onward ticket 

Thanks. When in Vietiene and applying for the SETV we will be able producing an onward ticket as that will be the initial return ticket 6 months onward from the first entry.

KIO

21 minutes ago, KIO said:

Thanks. When in Vietiene and applying for the SETV we will be able producing an onward ticket as that will be the initial return ticket 6 months onward from the first entry.

KIO

They won't ask for it, at this time they don't ask to see onward tickets at Vientianne

Of course this could always change so check the boards for info nearer the time

This was a little different but one time I had a ticket booked about 9 mths in adv

Got to Thai check in Perth Auss & she queried my ticket (I was entering on Visa exempt ) when arriving in Thailand

I just said I will go to Lao ( but she did know I was married due to previous Visas in my passport )

Edited by BEVUP

47 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

This was a little different but one time I had a ticket booked about 9 mths in adv

Got to Thai check in Perth Auss & she queried my ticket (I was entering on Visa exempt ) when arriving in Thailand

I just said I will go to Lao ( but she did know I was married due to previous Visas in my passport )

Yeah, I mean, there ought to be heaps of backpackers travelling around SEA and only travelling by road... impossible the majority of them not getting in. But heck, I'll probably just end up getting a cheap (we are 3 people) AA or Nok Air ticket to anywhere just to be on the safe side. But it is a little bit frustrating when I can prove housing, schooling, car rent etc. for the 6 month stay.

KIO

11 hours ago, KIO said:

Many thanks for the input!

On two occasions, both when flying with Qatar, they have asked both me and my wife upon check in (in Stockholm) why our return date is so far in the future... and on both occasions hesitant checking us in BEFORE showing them our work permits. Do you recon this might be an issue at the airport when saying "we are leaving by land" after the SETV expires?

KIO

Following IATA rules, with a tourist visa a return ticket is not required.

The issue could be at visa issuance, where will you be applying for the first tourist visa?

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Following IATA rules, with a tourist visa a return ticket is not required.

The issue could be at visa issuance, where will you be applying for the first tourist visa?

Oh, OK, I see... Then I will contact the embassy where I initially will make the SETV application an get there take on this. Thanks for the tip!

KIO

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Henricus said:

Ore leave 1 week for the family thing and come back 

tenor11115.gif

Sorry, didn't understand your reply. We ARE leaving after the initial 60+30 days... but via land; thus will not have a exit flight ticket to show during the different stages (first SETV application, departure, immigration etc.) of the trip.

KIO

14 hours ago, KIO said:

KIO

That should be OK, I would think, if they did ask for it. But they did not ask for my 'initial return ticket' ( I come for 6 winter mths with an SETV like u), or any other ticket, when I applied for an SETV there in early January after my 1st 60+30 days. I say it should be OK because even Savannahket, where they r much stricter,  2 years ago asked for and  accepted my 'initial return ticket' when applying for a SETV even though it was 4 mths away.

2 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

That should be OK, I would think, if they did ask for it. But they did not ask for my 'initial return ticket' ( I come for 6 winter mths with an SETV like u), or any other ticket, when I applied for an SETV there in early January after my 1st 60+30 days. I say it should be OK because even Savannahket, where they r much stricter,  2 years ago asked for and  accepted my 'initial return ticket' when applying for a SETV even though it was 4 mths away.

Thanks for the input!

KIO

• Like 1

Can purchase and cancel air tickets in China air for first 24 hours and get full refund.   I think many airways have 24 hour refund rules.    I may try my first setv ony next visit.  Let us know how it goes. 

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Can purchase and cancel air tickets in China air for first 24 hours and get full refund.   I think many airways have 24 hour refund rules.    I may try my first setv ony next visit.  Let us know how it goes. 

That's actually not a bad idea, thanks! Will update on the progress for sure.

KIO