Any s1000r or other bmw owners here?

speedtripler

I'm thinking about one of these or a Yamaha mt-10

Never owned a BMW in thailand before but I like the s1000r

Hows the service intervals, quality of work and price if you've already got one compared to other brands? ... 

Are BMW dealerships as well trained if they have to diagnose and fix  a problem? 

Do spare parts take several months to arrive? 

I'm in bkk so probably not too far from a dealer most of the time

Have heard that trying to get repairs outside BKK

can be problematic in every way &

may lead to suicidal urges.

Searched  'least reliable motorcycle.'

first item:

The reliability ratings are based on failure rates for 4-year-old bikes:
  • Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
  • Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
  • Kawasaki (15 percent)
  • Victory (17 percent)
  • Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
  • Triumph (29 percent)
  • Ducati (33 percent)
  • BMW (40 percent)

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Have heard that trying to get repairs outside BKK

can be problematic in every way &

may lead to suicidal urges.

Searched  'least reliable motorcycle.'

first item:

The reliability ratings are based on failure rates for 4-year-old bikes:
  • Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
  • Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
  • Kawasaki (15 percent)
  • Victory (17 percent)
  • Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
  • Triumph (29 percent)
  • Ducati (33 percent)
  • BMW (40 percent)

Yamaha mt-10 might be a safer bet then

Although, the 40% BMW problems may not all be related to the s1000r in fairly sure the cost of services will be higher

Last year was considering an MT-10 or a Ducati 939 Hypermotard, in Korat.

As I already own an MT-09, I decided on the 939.

There is also a BMW outlet in Korat, but I never went in there to enquire.

I also think that the Beemer is nice, then again so is the MT-10.

In an ideal world I would go for both......ho,ho.

As you are in BKK, the Beemer would be more trick, but do agree that the Yam would probably be cheaper to run and perhaps more reliable.

Yes.

Speed Triple indeed, another good option.

I owned a Street Triple R for 3 years, the old Bug Eye model from 2008/9.

Great bike but the Engine Paint on the Cylinder Head and Crank Cases bubbled up and peeled off. Bike was over a year old by this time and as I was the second owner Triumph wouldn't entertain me.

Since then, just about every Triumph from that era has the same problem.

Hopefully things have moved in since then.

Don't read too much into those reliability ratings. Yamaha/Star, Victory and HD for example who sell a lot of cruisers in USA are much simpler bikes, of course they'll have lower failure ratings. The failure metrics include minor things that may just be a temporary nuicance instead of something dangerous or leaving you stranded. BMW is selling much more complicated bikes. I'm not saying that BMW builds super reliable bikes that are without fault. But just due to the complexity of the machines, there are bound to be more failures. I would be interested in a sportbike vs sportbike comparison.

That being said, I was/am looking heavily into the S1000R. I rode it for a whole day in the Alps last year and had a blast. BMW introduced an updated model with less vibes, autoblipper and updated electronics in the fall of 2016. BMW Thailand is still selling the old model nearly one and a half years later probably because they try to get rid of Euro 3 stock that can't be sold in EU (due to laws) and other western countries (due to market forces). I am pretty confident they'll bring the new model to Thailand at the Motor Show end of March. So if you are really interested in the bike, at least wait a few more weeks. And if you are not in a rush, then maybe wait until October because BMW will introduce their 2019 model of the S1000RR. This one will be a big update as BMW is trying to re-claim the crown in the literbike class but the S1000R version might not be introduced at the same time, we'll have to see. And even it they do, who knows when BMW Thailand decides to build the bike locally, might as well be 2020... :/

I have heard mixed stories about BMW in Phuket. Some guys are really happy and some not. One guy told me he is waiting 3 months for them to perform a recall service on his GS. If you are in BKK then take a look at MF Motorrad, they seem to have good reviews.

About the MT10: surely a hoot to ride, never tried it. Should be cheaper in the long run as mentioned. Service of Yamaha big bikes can also be hit and miss in Thailand. Have heard mixed reviews. If you do track days then it has to be the BMW, it got 20 or so more horse power on the wheel. On the other hand, the MT10 has an upright riding position and better pillion seat. Try to get test rides of both bikes. BMW will let you on the road, might be more tricky with Yamaha.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, why don't you look at the Speed Triple?

New model just been released, available in the upcoming months.

Not my cup of tea, too many electronics, but i'm still a huge fan of the pre '11 models...

I've had a couple of speed triples already

That's why I'd like the BMW for a change and most reviewers says its the best bike in its class 

But there is a lot of electric stuff to go wrong that probably only BMW can fix on bikes thesedays........ 

Read that into all (decent) bikes that are on the market.'

Apart from the tractors, but no need to go there unless you want a slow heavy ride that sounds like a Thwaits Dumper.

Sorry.... mean HD 

35 minutes ago, soihok said:

Read that into all (decent) bikes that are on the market.'

Apart from the tractors, but no need to go there unless you want a slow heavy ride that sounds like a Thwaits Dumper.

Sorry.... mean HD 

All modern bikes have modern gizmos that you can't fix yourself or being to somchai on the corner..... 

But BMW might not use any lube when they bend you over..... :biggrin:

Engine Warning lights come on, you don't have much choice where to take it to.... But i suppose they're all the same now...money is just money but the bike out of action for months would be a real bummer

I was looking at the S1000RR in 2015. I contacted BMW in BKK and their pre-sales service was awful, very snooty and acted like they were doing me a favor by selling me a bike. I asked for a test ride and they didn't have any demo bikes, but he said he'd call me when a customers bike was being serviced and I could ride that!! I started having doubts at that point, I certainly wouldn't want my bike being used as a demo bike while it was supposed to be being serviced.

Also, a while back there were reports of one of the main dealers in BKK who was swapping out good parts for the worn out equivalent during services, that worried me but may have been a one off and sorted out by now.

I'm very interested in the all new 2019 S1000RR that will be released at the end of this year, but I'll admit the servicing and spares situation worries me with BMW. Ducati have been great and Yamaha seem pretty good so far (although the bike is only 6 months old they did have a spare part available at a very cheap price when I butchered the original part while fitting new levers). I do get the impression that bikes are a really low priority for BMW Thailand whereas the likes of Ducati, Yamaha etc. obviously have that as the core of their business.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I asked for a test ride and they didn't have any demo bikes, but he said he'd call me when a customers bike was being serviced and I could ride that!!

That's insane! It would be an instant deal breaker for me. I would actually go so far as contacting management (in Germany) about this unacceptable practice. I had a similar suspicion when I saw my Ducati extremely dirty when it had to stay at the (old, now closed) dealer for a while. Clearly someone rode it through rain and dirt. Now I always check the Odo before and after service.

There were many bad reviews of the old BMW (card and bikes) dealer in Phuket to the point that BMW decided to revoke their dealership license. It's scary that it had to come this far but a lot of companies here have really shitty attitudes when it comes to doing business. At least BMW proper recognizes the problems and fixes them.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I do get the impression that bikes are a really low priority for BMW Thailand whereas the likes of Ducati, Yamaha etc. obviously have that as the core of their business.

It's true that many BMW dealers do also cars and those have priority as they sell a lot more and have better margins I could imagine. On the other hand I would expect them to provide top notch service and those prices. I Germany, I wouldn't hesitate to get a BMW. But in Thailand it's a bit more tricky.

Hi,

I have a S1000R which I have had for 3 years. 

Bought from MF Motorrad in Bangkok and serviced in Pattaya by German Auto Motorrad.

Fantastic bike, light for a 1000, easy to ride fast or slow, plenty of power, awesome brakes.

ABS, Traction control works well, as do the riding modes, Rain mode good for places like Koh Chang.

Sounds good when on the power.

3 Years, had no issues, good service from both dealers.

I will probably change for the newer model when it comes out.

Accessories are very expensive in the dealers, if you can buy in another country and bring over.

Also keep the receipt, if its genuine the dealer will install.

• 1 month later...

Seems like BMW Thailand finally brought the one and half year old 2017 model (launched end of 2016) to Thailand at the Motor Show that's currently taking place in BKK: https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.th/en/models/roadster/s1000r.html

675k THB and it includes all optional packages that are available in other countries. 20k on top for the Motorsport color scheme. So the price has increased 50k over the past year or two. First 625k, then 650k, now 675k. But one also gets more goodies included.

I've been waiting a long time for this bike and if they had brought it earlier, I would have owned one already. But now I'm gonna wait a few more months and see what BMW does when they update the S1000RR.

17 hours ago, colin123 said:

I just traded in and got the 2017/18 model yesterday :)

Fantastic bike

Congrats! If you don't mind, can you share the trade-in price you got? And can you give a quick review of how the new model feels different to the outgoing one? Pics also appreciated :)

On 09.02.2018 at 11:14 PM, speedtripler said:

Are BMW dealerships as well trained if they have to diagnose and fix  a problem? 

Just buy and injoy. Only it would be nice to have a large steering angle. Us  for streetfighter. I got it used with 35000 km. Do 7k and sold. Never have any problems. Great bike.

BTW since the the Ducati Panigale V4 seems to be starting to win comparison tests, the head of the BMW inline four cylinder division said something along the lines of "we'll fix that with the new RR for 2019". He usually isn't so outspoken and confident. I think he only would say that if he's sure they have good cards in their hand. I'm excited to see what the new RR and therefor R will bring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2018 at 10:15 AM, eisfeld said:

Congrats! If you don't mind, can you share the trade-in price you got? And can you give a quick review of how the new model feels different to the outgoing one? Pics also appreciated :)

Previously had the 2014/15 BMW S1000R, This was one of the first in Thailand, had standard non electronic suspension, in Matt Blue, great bike never had any issues, joy to ride.

Only changed as it was due to drop in value when the new model came out. 375K Baht, probably could have got slightly more 2nd hand but I did not have time to wait. New cost was 700K Baht

Traded in against 2017/18 New BMW S1000R, Differences in specification for me, Full electronic suspension, dynamic and dynamic pro, riding modes, shift assistant pro/quick shift, cruise control.

LED indicators and heated grips lol. Quite a few new electronic rider aids, Cost 675K Baht Red and black model

I received the week just before Songkran and the weather was not to great a few days before.

So still on the run in period and its restricted until after the first service, 200km so far.

Riding differences for me so far between old and new bike:

Smoother ride on the road, the suspension is easily adjustable on the handle bars,

engine seems more eager and positive, not that the last bike lacked in power, this does have 5 more hp, but it does seem gruntier, quick shifter is awesome and works very well.

Old bike did have vibrations though the handle bars at certain rev ranges and I have not noticed this on the new bike but I need to do a big trip to confirm this more.

Still early days but it does feel improved from the last model, but the last model was a great bike anyway, it is like BMW just improved a few items and tweaked it more.

The extra toys are nice to have, not really used the cruise control or heated grips yet :)

IMG_9379.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0887.jpg

Archived