How to file a complaint about a University in Thailand ?

I would like to file a complaint about a university in Thailand as a foreign student.

What governmental institution do I have to contact in order to file a complaint against this university ?

I've tried to search Google in English but don't find any information.

This site shows that The Office of College and University Evaluation would take care of this issue in New York State, America. But in Thailand, I don't know what institution that's in charge of this issue.

So far, I've only found Office of Higher Education Commission (OHEC) taking responsibility for higher education in Thailand.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

A university student that can’t figure how to file a complaint...

My question really is What governmental institution do I have to contact in order to file a complaint against this university ?

Such information is not written in English. I am not even sure that such information exists in Thai.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Ignore some of the nonsense written here and go through the correct channels. Here is a link to the Ministry of Education's complaint webpage. It is in Thai, and clicking on English does not bring up a translation, so you will need a Thai reader to guide you through the correct steps:

http://www.moe.go.th/moe/th/contact/

If that is not effective, go up a level or two to the big cheese, the Permanent Secretary, MoE here:

https://www.ops.moe.go.th/ops2017/index.php/อื่นๆ/203

As always in Thailand, as a foreigner it is important to show due deference to your correspondent's position. Be polite, stick to the facts of your case and be patient.

You may end up getting nowhere, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried.

Thank you

6 minutes ago, TensorandVector said:

My question really is What governmental institution do I have to contact in order to file a complaint against this university ?

Such information is not written in English. I am not even sure that such information exists in Thai.

Exactly

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, gavinreynolds said:

PerkinsCuthbert gave you some good advice.  However, before you take things beyond the University, ensure that you have done what you can within the University - that means depending on the nature of the complaint, bring it up with the head of department or with the faculty dean. If that is unsatisfactory, go to the the Uni President - or initially to the vice president for academic affairs. Ensure you have a clear paper trail - copy everything you send and receive. The MoE are unlikely to act on anything unless you have done everything correctly and appropriately within the university grievance system..

Thank you for your honest and helpful advice.

Edited by TensorandVector

On 2/11/2018 at 9:18 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Ignore some of the nonsense written here and go through the correct channels. Here is a link to the Ministry of Education's complaint webpage. It is in Thai, and clicking on English does not bring up a translation, so you will need a Thai reader to guide you through the correct steps:

http://www.moe.go.th/moe/th/contact/

If that is not effective, go up a level or two to the big cheese, the Permanent Secretary, MoE here:

https://www.ops.moe.go.th/ops2017/index.php/อื่นๆ/203

As always in Thailand, as a foreigner it is important to show due deference to your correspondent's position. Be polite, stick to the facts of your case and be patient.

You may end up getting nowhere, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried.

Thank you. 

Yes, I would agree from experience making a complaint within the Thai higher educational system is a soul destroying process.

Understandably, you don't mention the grievance and there may be different avenues for different types of complaints. If there has been physical harm or personal abuse of some kind then it might make more sense to lodge the complaint closer to home, the University governance or the police. Of course, you will need hard evidence and a demeanor that casts the plaintiff as a victim respectfully seeking assistance. Financial disagreements, I think, carry more weight if they affect a group of people wrongly disadvantaged who speak with a single voice.

Finally, a complaint involving academic matters is particularly difficult. It would appear that the Thai education system operates Quality Assurance procedures but they are not delivered in a way, I think, that would be recognised internationally. There are cultural difficulties in objectively measuring human performance/results/student input/re-marking/assessment moderation/appeals and applying transparent feedback mechanisms leading to automatic improvement.

From what I have observed I often feel that recourse is only ever achieved when people or institutions are going to look bad, worse in fact than if they did nothing and let things run a fruitless course.

I suspect these typical QA procedures are feared and actively avoided which is why you can't find the appropriate documentation about how to proceed. To that end, and with what I know now about how the dance goes, I would begin your journey by asking only the simple question beginning with the players involved and working slowly upwards "How does somebody make a complaint? Please give me the procedures and outcomes."

I think it's better, at some level, to be told to your face at the outset not to complain, it won't make any difference and to continue invites prosecution than to be passed around, ground down and frustrated by the constant retelling of your issue.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandbox said:

Yes, I would agree from experience making a complaint within the Thai higher educational system is a soul destroying process.

Understandably, you don't mention the grievance and there may be different avenues for different types of complaints. If there has been physical harm or personal abuse of some kind then it might make more sense to lodge the complaint closer to home, the University governance or the police. Of course, you will need hard evidence and a demeanor that casts the plaintiff as a victim respectfully seeking assistance. Financial disagreements, I think, carry more weight if they affect a group of people wrongly disadvantaged who speak with a single voice.

Finally, a complaint involving academic matters is particularly difficult. It would appear that the Thai education system operates Quality Assurance procedures but they are not delivered in a way, I think, that would be recognised internationally. There are cultural difficulties in objectively measuring human performance/results/student input/re-marking/assessment moderation/appeals and applying transparent feedback mechanisms leading to automatic improvement.

From what I have observed I often feel that recourse is only ever achieved when people or institutions are going to look bad, worse in fact than if they did nothing and let things run a fruitless course.

I suspect these typical QA procedures are feared and actively avoided which is why you can't find the appropriate documentation about how to proceed. To that end, and with what I know now about how the dance goes, I would begin your journey by asking only the simple question beginning with the players involved and working slowly upwards "How does somebody make a complaint? Please give me the procedures and outcomes."

I think it's better, at some level, to be told to your face at the outset not to complain, it won't make any difference and to continue invites prosecution than to be passed around, ground down and frustrated by the constant retelling of your issue.  

Dude has word.