Expats in Thailand – How happy and rich are they?

Inspire

I am working on the reasoning that when my wife rises to the level of fully 'self sufficient' we will achieve the status of being happy with a little to spare, leaving plenty of room for continuous improvement :smile:

Right now I would put us as happy, enjoying gently improving our lot. Life is good.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Not sure most expats are nearly bankrupt; but I lack the proper data to make that assessment.  I see three classes of expats here; none I would consider rich. The first are the cheapskates, always looking for the cheapest beer or local spirits, eating only the cheapest street foods, living in run-down rooms with the toilet down the hall, claiming they don't like a/c, but hanging out in the malls on the hottest days, walking instead of taking public transport; heaven forbid owning a vehicle, even a bicycle.  Then, there are those who live a meager existence on a paltry government pension, a teacher's salary, or other comparably low-paid income; they may even be able to afford a western meal once in a while and may even own a scooter or live in an apartment with bath.  Then there are those who have a decent pension or investment income, have salaried jobs or work off-shore, or own some business which pays the bills and provides income. They usually have vehicles, live in comfortable accommodation and even use a/c. They spend money, drinking other than the cheapest beer and may even drink imported spirits, they eat western foods and may drink wine, and some even party like a tourist, at times. They are often thought-of as rich, by the two lower economic classes, but in reality are not.

IMHO the three classes of expats mentioned are unlikely to associate with each other, so it's difficult to estimate the percentages. I'd say I am in the third group, although I actually eat about 90% Thai food because I prefer it over Western food. I would agree I am not rich, but comfortable with my lifestyle and happy most of the time. Can't ask for much more.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Ouch, how do you know the figure is 98.7%?

I for 1 enjoy being a miserable, critical, moaning old sod.:cheesy:

You are wrong about the next cheap barstool beverage, as i dont drink, but would love to be able to sit on a barstool.

It’s the simple things hey Col? 

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMHO the three classes of expats mentioned are unlikely to associate with each other, so it's difficult to estimate the percentages. I'd say I am in the third group, although I actually eat about 90% Thai food because I prefer it over Western food. I would agree I am not rich, but comfortable with my lifestyle and happy most of the time. Can't ask for much more.

Yeah, I am also in the third group, but I do know expats from the other two. Of course, I live in a non-tourist area with relatively few farangs, so we tend to know each other.

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

some expats will even tell everyone they "have a lot of money" but "are not stupid" as they count cash to pay for drinks for the multiple freelancers magically attracted to their table.

You they are not stupid? Nice world you live in I wish it was the real world most of us actually live in

19 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Feeling rich when you have 40K THB to spend must be great, that is the minimum payment of the government in the Netherlands, when you are on your own and have no work.

Yeah but u cant collect it while living in Thailand. I think its 700 euros for a single unemployed person so its 28,000 not 40,000 bht. For an unemployed person u have all ur calculations wrong no wonder u jobless.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most expats are nearly bankrupt.

Example i wanted to go with a song teaw from klang road to sukumvit and we were with 4 people but it needs 10 before take of.

i talked to the other passengers  lets pay double then it will go right away. 2 Thais agreed but the old farang expat shouting in my ear its only 10 bht how dare i charge him more?? <deleted> hahaja..

I then chipped in for him but yeah most are hete on a tight budget. Russians walking 3 km with suitcases to save 50 bht.

and this is why Thais started their two tier pricing....   

12 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yeah but u cant collect it while living in Thailand. I think its 700 euros for a single unemployed person so its 28,000 not 40,000 bht. For an unemployed person u have all ur calculations wrong no wonder u jobless.

It is € 942,51 a month. I am living in Thailand and I make a lot more than 40K, so all your assumptions  are completely wrong. How does that make you feel?

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten/publicaties/2017/12/15/uitkeringsbedragen-per-1-januari-2018

• 1 month later...

Archived