Why don't the Thai authorities clean up the tap water?

Barnabe

8 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

A Liverwort is a plant.

http://www.theplantlist.org/browse/B/

My utmost apology for  my error.

I must have some sort of brain disease caused by liver  flukes.     

But you knew to what I referred, I'm sure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33095945

OR:

https://www.liverdoctor.com/liver-problems/liver-fluke/

Sorry for my error..

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Do you mean algal growth? 

If you do, then I am pretty sure algae will never grow in lead pipes, or any other kind of pipes for that matter, because it needs sunlight to grow.  Down in the underground pipes its pitch black... so no algae or plants can grow.  

Not true.

I don't know what you're talking about. I lived in Bangkok for almost twenty years and drank the tap water. It horrified my grandchildren, but I've drunk worse water than that and never once had a stomach ache or gastrointestinal problems. They do purify the water. The people who insist on drinking bottled water are wasting their money based on the way things were forty-five years ago. I drink the tap water here in Nakhorn Sawan, too, but don't tell my nieces.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, grollies said:

I'd disagree with that having worked in the UK water industry. UK tap water is perfectly safe to drink. Don't know about Paris, New York, etc. Is BKK water safe to drink?

I drank it for many years without problems.

3 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I lived in Bangkok for almost twenty years and drank the tap water. It horrified my grandchildren, but I've drunk worse water than that and never once had a stomach ache or gastrointestinal problems. They do purify the water. The people who insist on drinking bottled water are wasting their money based on the way things were forty-five years ago. I drink the tap water here in Nakhorn Sawan, too, but don't tell my nieces.

It may be perfectly safe.  I don't know.  But I have tasted it and don't mind popping 8-10 baht for a 1.5 liter bottle of better tasting water.

When I was a kid, the water at my grandparent's house tasted so much better than the water at my home, 10 miles away in the suburbs, we would fill gallons and gallons into empty milk jugs every time we went to visit.  That was before bottled water was a thing.  Both waters were perfectly safe.  But theirs was city lake water and ours was suburban well water.  To this day, I can't even stand the smell of that suburban well water after I was away from it for a year or so.  

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, grollies said:

So by adding phosphate to drinking water doesn't encourage algael growth in lead pipe?

Phosphate is a nutrient, so presumably it encourages biomass of some kind. Whether that's algae or not in a closed environment is questionable. It's the reason environmental authorities place limits on phosphate discharge in wastewater, as it causes algal blooms in receiving water bodies.

I'll spell it out for you. At best your first post was ambiguous, and you were plain wrong in claiming algae assisted water flow in pipes. It does the opposite. Now you are trying to bullshit your way out of your dubious understanding of the mechanical, biological and electrochemical processes involved. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you any further.

8 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Sorry, are you making a joke or are you serious?

If you are making a joke I don't get it.

If you are serious can you tell me how algae can grow without sunlight?  

Thanks.  

It's another example of the poster's imprecise terminology. Growth of slimes and moulds in pipes in the absence of light is referred to as biomass. You are correct in asserting algae needs light to grow.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2018 at 1:04 PM, Thian said:

I guess that in london they use a copper waterpipe which doesn't allow all kind of things to grow in there.

But i drink thai tapwater in BKK all days, it goes from the watertank to the pump to the waterfilter to the fridge into my YETI rambler, i drink about 5-6 of them a day.

I tried drinking the tap water in Samut Prakan and Naklua.  Soon figured out it was making me sick.

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

I tried drinking the tap water in Samut Prakan and Naklua.  Soon figured out it was making me sick.

In some provinces the tapwater has very high calcium..you should see my mil's bathroom....the chalk grows everywhere.

But they drink rainwater there.

UK in general is ok, but some areas have hard and some soft water, I remember a very large international company bottling water direct from the main tap water. UK water companies were not allowed to employ Asians because they were carriers of typhoid (the ones that have corner shops and restaurants).

• Like 1