Japan is still interested in Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project

webfact

Japan is still interested in Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project

By Thai PBS

DAB0B978-A0A0-40D3-8360-75BC89F0C8AA.jpe

The Ministry of Transport has denied as untrue foreign press and social media reports that Japan has decided not to invest in the Bangkok-Phitsanuloke section of Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project.

The ministry clarified in a statement that it was still in the process of talks with the Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism on the feasibility study of joint cooperation between the two countries in the development of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project.

The talks have not yet touched on the investment aspect and Japan has not opted out of the project nor decided not to invest in the project, said the ministry in the statement, adding that the Japanese side is exploring a new form of investment which is appropriate and will cause less financial burden on the Thai government.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/japan-still-interested-bangkok-chiang-mai-high-speed-train-project/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-12

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The talks have not yet touched on the investment aspect

Nor should they from Japan's perspective:

Prayut has decided that the "high speed" train (designed for up to 250km/h) should only go 180 to 200 kilometers an hour to keep costs down. The Japanese countered that this lack of speed will mean that the train would not be able to compete with low cost airlines.  

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1024423-bullet-train-or-chug-a-lug-thai-pm-orders-the-japanese-to-slow-down-to-save-money/

Why would Japan want to be a co-owner versus a lender?

If the project is such a great investment, where are the Thai private investors? There appears to only be the Prayut government.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The talks have not yet touched on the investment aspect and Japan has not opted out of the project nor decided not to invest in the project, said the ministry in the statement, adding that the Japanese side is exploring a new form of investment which is appropriate and will cause less financial burden on the Thai government.

Now that is quality, civil servant, obfuscation, double plus good talk, if I ever heard any. 

Masterful and meaningless. 

Bravo. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Having just traveled 12 hours to Bkk from Ubon I think they need to learn to walk before trying to run. Carriage about 50 years old, doors left open and my window would not close, lucky not the rainy season. In the last coach with the door gap at the back only having a string across it, madness. Scores of annoying vendors up and down shouting all the time, even selling kids toys and stopping every few miles for no apparent reason and crawled across Bangkok to arrive 30 minutes late, never again! 2nd class coach, there seems to be no 1st, third world railway and they want to jump to high speed from 50 miles an hour!

Ever tried South line ?

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Having just traveled 12 hours to Bkk from Ubon I think they need to learn to walk before trying to run. Carriage about 50 years old, doors left open and my window would not close, lucky not the rainy season. In the last coach with the door gap at the back only having a string across it, madness. Scores of annoying vendors up and down shouting all the time, even selling kids toys and stopping every few miles for no apparent reason and crawled across Bangkok to arrive 30 minutes late, never again! 2nd class coach, there seems to be no 1st, third world railway and they want to jump to high speed from 50 miles an hour!

Did you get the locomotives number?

??

Edited by JAG

This all comes as a complete surprise since high ranking military big-noters only announced in December that construction on the first short Bangkok stage of the Japanese-Thai link to Chiang Mai would commence this month. Kiss that dream goodbye.

Likewise the China-Thai link to Nong Khai is dead in the water. In fact no one should ever believe anything this government says. Particularly anything to do with election dates.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

If and it's a big if, there is joining HSR (Which I believe is now freight only) between Thailand and China Laos will be just bridge between the 2.It would pointless having an HSR in Laos without Thailand having one as well.

Agreed, and that's why the Chinese are perhaps growing more concerned, as construction proceeds on the Lao-section of the route, while Thailand is slow to start the first section (of three) of the onward-connection.

On the other hand, I'm sure they have selected their security with care, to cover the loans to the Lao government, which they might now be more-likely to take over.

I wonder what they wanted the Thais to put up, when they were negotiating, Laem Chabang or Sattahip ports would no doubt be attractive acquisitions ?

Compared to that, the Thai high-speed passenger-only network is only a sideshow, as PM Prayuth now seems to be admitting, in his roundabout way.

16 hours ago, JAG said:

Did you get the locomotives number?

??

After 560 kilometers there was a long delay at Bang Sue- peak cap came round and explained they had to change the engine for the last 15 k or so! I would go on a sleeper again, but the long day trains are torture.

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Agreed, and that's why the Chinese are perhaps growing more concerned, as construction proceeds on the Lao-section of the route, while Thailand is slow to start the first section (of three) of the onward-connection.

On the other hand, I'm sure they have selected their security with care, to cover the loans to the Lao government, which they might now be more-likely to take over.

I wonder what they wanted the Thais to put up, when they were negotiating, Laem Chabang or Sattahip ports would no doubt be attractive acquisitions ?

Compared to that, the Thai high-speed passenger-only network is only a sideshow, as PM Prayuth now seems to be admitting, in his roundabout way.

Beijing to Vientiane wouldn't be too popular  

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

After 560 kilometers there was a long delay at Bang Sue- peak cap came round and explained they had to change the engine for the last 15 k or so! I would go on a sleeper again, but the long day trains are torture.

Probably because they were taking the more powerful one off, to use on another working and putting a less powerful / more knackered one on for the trundle into Hualampong. SRT are desperately short of notice power.