homemade spaghetti sauce

Mekong Bob

I start with 2 cans of Prego and add all kinds of goodies to my preference.  More accurately, I start with ground meat and olive oil (I like chicken, but pork is more traditional), brown that, then add veggies like pepper, onion, celery, etc., brown that all together, then add Prego after the meat's cooked.  All along, I'm adding oregano and cinnamon -or Chinese 5 spice- to taste.  Plus salt and black pepper.  Then simmer on low for an hour or so.

On a good day, I''d put mine up against any spaghetti sauce I've ever had.  But since I don't have an actual recipe, some days it's just real good.  And always better the 2nd day.

Here is the sauce base to my Paleo Chilli - it is very good.

2 onions, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

1 can of tomatoes (large can crushed tomatoes)

2-3 Tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon of curry powder

1 cup beef broth

salt to taste

Sauté onions and bell pepper. Add canned tomatoes and seasonings, simmer low for 1 hour.

Putanesca is amazing:

Fry one anchovy per serving, lets say 6 for this (buy small jar in Rimping to save money as you probably wont need a whole tin).

Once hot turn off heat and mash the anchovies into the oil (cheap oil).

Add a big tablespoon of pre-fried garlic, pinch of chilli flakes, small capers (maybe a tablespoon), pitted oilives, get the green jar so it lasts more than once. Same for capers.

Then stir in about a third of a litre of passata tomato sauce.

Give it a good mix, if you cut the olives they go further, but for us they are the meat of the dish.

Then add some extra virgin olive oil, a good glug, maybe 3 tablespoons.

Then add 250g of spaghetti and a bit of the starchy water.

Mix well whilst on heat and let water evaporate.

Then serve with some sourdough white bread with grass fed butter.

Delicious, I promise. ?

shrooms,  for me it is all about the mushrooms...   start with a mountain of minced garlic, enough to make Chef Ramsy gag.  Fry in butter ... add about a kilo of seasonal fungus...as much red wine as you can spare, chopped  onion , dry basil.  whatever herbs you fancy.  a kilo of  chopped ripe tomatoes, any variety available,  simmer until it smells good and hunger demands.  turn off heat and splash in the best virgin olive oil you can find.  ....  top your pasta dish with fresh grated parmesan cheese. 

Hmmm...  That might be their old page/location, and I believe they did move recently.  At least as of last month (and unless they moved again- I'd call to be sure), they're in the small, narrow soi on the left (just before the bigger soi that heads toward Rabbit Union, which is the last left turn before the Night Safari).  There's a sign, but it's easy to miss.  It's part of a private house with a small dining room and parking area.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy a 5 kg bag of Roma looking Tomatoes. 

Saute an onion or two in olive oil and when done throw some chopped garlic.

Stir and immediately when it goes blond and you smell garlic, less then 1 min, throw in the tomatoes that have been cored and rough chopped.

Season, I like salt, pepper and a few bay leaves.

Cook gently for 3 hrs stirring occasionally, adding water if it gets too thick.

That's it, perfect fresh tomato sauce for dinner and some more to freeze for next time.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:54 AM, mat999 said:

Putanesca is amazing:.............Good recipe snipped for brevity....

Then serve with some sourdough white bread with grass fed butter.

Delicious, I promise. ?

So I tried it...  Putanessca; in the style of prostitutes... How can it be bad?  So I tried it.

And you were correct! It WAS delicious!  I'll certainly make this one again!

34 minutes ago, Mekong Bob said:

Anybody found Ragu products in other supermarkets?

Rimping... on the river, had several varieties of Ragu on its shelves yesterday.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:40 PM, steven2018 said:

2 onions, chopped

1 cup beef broth

salt to taste

Sauté onions and bell pepper. Add canned tomatoes and seasonings, simmer low for 1 hour.

Take this recipe, remove the bell pepper, curry powder and  chilli powder, add mixed Italian herbs instead, a tablespoon or so of tomato puree, use Oxo cube or something similar to make the beef stock (instead of broth) and don't forget to brown the mince at the same time as you are sauteeing the onions. You can use a mix of red wine and beef stock if you can be bothered, will improve the taste.

If I were making a chilli dish with it, I'd use the recipe as given but add ground cumin...gives it that classic chilli con carne flavour.

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

I buy a 5 kg bag of Roma looking Tomatoes. 

Saute an onion or two in olive oil and when done throw some chopped garlic.

Stir and immediately when it goes blond and you smell garlic, less then 1 min, throw in the tomatoes that have been cored and rough chopped.

Season, I like salt, pepper and a few bay leaves.

Cook gently for 3 hrs stirring occasionally, adding water if it gets too thick.

That's it, perfect fresh tomato sauce for dinner and some more to freeze for next time.

If your aim is taste and consistent texture, I suggest you remove the tomato skin (but you lose the antioxidants contained in the skin).

Cut a small  X  on the bottom of the tomato  , parboil for a couple of minutes then remove the tomato and place in cold water. The skin will peel right off.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:40 PM, steven2018 said:

2 onions, chopped

1 cup beef broth

salt to taste

Plus:

Salt and pepper

Level table spoon of Italian herbs mix

4 or 5 bay leaves

Half a teaspoon of sugar if needed (taste first)

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus:

Salt and pepper

Level table spoon of Italian herbs mix

4 or 5 bay leaves

Half a teaspoon of sugar if needed (taste first)

I have being told that the sugar helps neutralise the tomato acidity. 

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have being told that the sugar helps neutralise the tomato acidity. 

I don't know what it does and in general I am not a fan of sugar in anything (except desserts of course). But when I lived in in Europe, I used to watch a food channel and there was an excellent Hungarian chef who had a show each day and one trick I did learn from him was adding just a spoon of sugar to the tomato sauce towards the end of the cooking. It doesn't add sweetness but it sounds like what you say is correct. It always tastes better. I only add a single tablespoon to a large pot.

Another thing this chef did to start tomato sauce is create a base using the olive oil, onions and garlic of course, but also Italian parsley and some thick bacon and the salt and pepper and a dried red chili or two. That's where the flavor starts and then the tomatoes are added and it cooks down for 90 minutes or so - or longer. You can of course add carrots or whatever.

Archived