How much money to retire in Thailand.

outofafrica

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Get off the herb. The post had nothing to do with the way I live. Go bash on another forum.

Gee, touchy eh? I was not trying to describe your lifestyle, but did I get too close? I was simply responding to your general statement to not listen to those who say you can't live here on that money. I know you can, but as I said, the question has to be, do you want to?

I suggest it takes more; unless you want to count pennies in your old age.

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

From many of your previous posts explaining how your could not live on such meagre sums i actually feel very sorry for you. 

I can also concur that the sum of monies is very adequate as i know quite a few that do so on a lot less and have a very fulfilling life.

For once in your life get off your high horse and except that not all people need to wake up each morning and get into their Fortuner/BMW and wonder what their going to spend this months million on

Well, I am happy to hear you feel sorry for me--I will sleep much better for it.

I realize there are people who exist on meager sums. I choose not to and I think telling others how happy you can be on so little is a bit of rationalism into which I do not care to indulge.

I think my response is honest at least. I do not want to live on so little and I think most people would prefer not to. 

25 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Gee, touchy eh? I was not trying to describe your lifestyle, but did I get too close? I was simply responding to your general statement to not listen to those who say you can't live here on that money. I know you can, but as I said, the question has to be, do you want to?

I suggest it takes more; unless you want to count pennies in your old age.

Troll

If you want to eat healthy or foreign, not enough. Imported beef can cost 2k thb a kilo. Organic food is expensive as well.

If you want good health insurance (20m coverage instead of the typical Thai 500k) that will cost you another 40k or more per year.

imported clothing (name brand, etc) is not any cheaper here than in the real world.

You may want to consider carefully the true cost of living or changing your lifestyle to be truly local.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, evenstevens said:

from my actual experience ,  been living very comfortable retired life in C/mai on the OZ pension for 17 yrs , (even taking into consideration the present poor exchange rate)which is just above your 1600 dollar mark, my only concern is the health equation , but you are still young enough to join a medical scheme of some nature to take care of that, feel again from actual experience, keeping your Oz Medicard and receiving a Oz pension,down the track a mutch bigger problem as Centre Link  have closed the loop holes which was available to us old timers( affectionately called the pre 2003 gang)but at least you have a few years to prepare yourself and my advice is to cross those bridges when you come to the,as everyone has a different agenda dealing with Centre Link, very best of luck Cobber

Hi Mate

Can you explain the Centrelink loopholes you have mentioned

I was under the impression that once I was of retirement age I would only lose about $10 a week but still entitled to my pension when I move to Thailand

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Geoff

P.S. Private contact details available if you need them

3 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

Hi Mate

I was under the impression that once I was of retirement age I would only lose about $10 a week but still entitled to my pension when I move to Thailand

Cheers

Geoff

You're right bud. One of my best mates is coming here in April on the OZ old age pension. He loses the energy supplement and a couple of other small things but the rest is portable and he will get around $800 a fortnight whilst he lives in Thailand. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

A Westerner married in the Amphur could use his Thai wife health insurance?

Depends on the Thai wife's health insurance plan.  He mentioned his GF has a gov't job, so presumably a western husband would be covered.  If a foreigner married a Thai lady insured by the basic 30 baht gov't health insurance, then no he can't use her "health insurance", although some gov't hospitals in rural areas permit that, but as soon as he comes done with a serious illness that requires referral to a higher level gov't hospital he'll find he really isn't covered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wadsy said:

You're right bud. One of my best mates is coming here in April on the OZ old age pension. He loses the energy supplement and a couple of other small things but the rest is portable and he will get around $800 a fortnight whilst he lives in Thailand. 

Cheers thanks wadsy

That's about what I was expecting 

My retirement is due on 09-05-2018

Where is Oz does your mate live?

2 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

Cheers thanks wadsy

That's about what I was expecting 

My retirement is due on 09-05-2018

Where is Oz does your mate live?

He's in Taree NSW and from the horses mouth (centrelink) that was what he will get as of last month. Half your luck being retired in May this year. PM me if you need any more info. Cheers.

OP needs to ignore the usual sexpats who replied to him saying 40k is not enough and take advice from established, refined Farang who like myself leech off his wife insurance and house.

Yes, 40k is quite enough to live on if you don't have housing expenses. I don't know how the government insurance works, but I am using my wife's "decent" private insurance and I gotta tell you it's lacking in so many ways. 

You don't really need to drink or smoke in Thailand. The country is filthy enough, so why would you want to poison your body with this crap? That's money saved right there. The most money I spend in here is Western food (because Thai food is garbage), but even Western food sucks in comparison to back home. No choice.

I get around 70,000 baht a month from "back home" and I am able to save over half that every month. 

However, always have an escape plan and never sell your house. When I came here 4 years ago I was making 100k due to better exchange rate and somewhat higher income. I don't plan on retiring here.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dene16 said:

From many of your previous posts explaining how your could not live on such meagre sums i actually feel very sorry for you. 

I can also concur that the sum of monies is very adequate as i know quite a few that do so on a lot less and have a very fulfilling life.

For once in your life get off your high horse and except that not all people need to wake up each morning and get into their Fortuner/BMW and wonder what their going to spend this months million on

Yes but it’s much more fun .

guessing the amount you spend and feel necessary to spend is to some degree dependent on how much money you can spend. i found the only way for me to go backwards in economy

in thailand is when i've been letting go of control altogether as to how much lady drinks i give away, it really does add up something hysterical since i go out every day

2 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Thai food is garbage? That seems like a bit of an odd perspective for one who lives in Thailand. You must be a lot of fun when you travel or go out to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I love Thai food.... in Canada - the Westernized version. Shameful, isn't it? Mind you, I wasn't always grumpy like this simply because I believe I was delusional.

It lacks protein, it's dirty, antibiotic farm shrimp, salmon from who knows where, etc.....

I love Thai fruit, but I always have to buy it whole, never pre-cut because who knows where the knife has been.

Dirty place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTgrizzly said:

Hi Mate

Cheers

Geoff

as my post say,s  every Aussie agenda with C/link is entirely different, in my case ,  initially  i was on a disability pension for around 12 yrs then crossed over to the old age pension,during that time had a number of battles with C/link etc etc they kicked me from one  end   of the pitch  to the other ,perhaps a year or so back they would not renew my Medibank card ,another battle  but  another win,  they had to return it to me ,  as they had granted my pension and medi bank etc etc before all the legstrations were passed from 2003 and onwards (that fat bitch Amanda Vanderstone under little Johnny Howard started the rot for us legit ones) hence all the loop holes (so to speak)closing ,basically they could not reverse their decision made  on me around 2001,as they had granted me those concessions before  all the new laws were introduced from 2003 onwards that why we got the nick name The  Pre 2003 Gang, just had the rub of the green our C/MAI immgr dept Visa services come under heavy critisism on this board , they are a dream compared to  the morons employed and running   C/link  a nice evening to all

• Like 2