Frenchman killed in motorcycle crash on Samui

webfact

1 hour ago, rosst said:

As I am sitting here reading these comments in serious pain, I don't have any answer. 

It just happened to me in Nakhon Thai two days ago, the rider stationary in the middle of the road saw a person, smiled and rode straight across in front of me. 

The result? 

My holiday ruined, my wife and I in terrible pain but fortunately no serious injuries. 

The offender is to attend the police station for negotiation on damages but already comments "she doesn't have any money". 

My near new bike 40,000 damage and my wife's telephone 7,000 not to mention the hotel and medical expenses. 

Other aggravating factors, but THE PAIN, unbelievable. 

We will see what happens but luckily it was not worse. 

Another reason why they don't worry, Always claim they have no money

Well she better start going around knocking on the family doors or maybe sell the bike & new Iphone

I hope you have all paper work in order IE a motorbike lic / ect

I would let your wife rip into her as they all play the BS above

Hope the offender is properly Lisc/Reg as you can go after her compulsery 3rd party ins (you can max that at 80,000 I think ) & then maybe use yours ( but do these ins firms ever go after the person charged or just up you policy next year 

4 hours ago, balo said:

A better helmet would have saved him , he used one of those cheap BIg C helmets. 

The first thing I would have done if I had invested in a bike was to buy a 4000 baht helmet (European standard)  , they are available in any decent motorbike shop, 

Fortunately I do not ride bikes in Thailand. 

Correct, I have a Bell Rogue which I take to Thailand because it complies with the Australian Standards. You would be better off putting half a watermelon on your head than using a Thai helmet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cat handler said:

You would be better off putting half a watermelon on your head than using a Thai helmet.

I think many local road users have water melon heads! :smile:

Mind you, some farang road users could also be the same.

15 minutes ago, cat handler said:

A better helmet would have saved him , he used one of those cheap BIg C helmets. 

The first thing I would have done if I had invested in a bike was to buy a 4000 baht helmet (European standard)  , they are available in any decent motorbike shop, 

Fortunately I do not ride bikes in Thailand. 

Correct, I have a Bell Rogue which I take to Thailand because it complies with the Australian Standards. You would be better off putting half a watermelon on your head than using a Thai helmet.

RE quality helmet

I am agree in that you should invest in a quality helmet as this is for protecting the most important part of the body. The soft Shell helmet that the most of the Thais are using ( also some cheap Charlie farangs) do not prevent anything but a fine for not wearing one...

RE a quality helmet would have saved him

Not neccessary and I really doubt it in this situation as a helmet doesnt help at all against a significant twist of the neck which seems to have occured her - a helmet just prevent hit against the head up to a certain point and sliding damages....

Edited by ttrd

9 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE quality helmet

I am agree in that you should invest in a quality helmet as this is for protecting the most important part of the body. The soft Shell helmet that the most of the Thais are using ( also some cheap Charlie farangs) do not prevent anything but a fine for not wearing one...

Not neccessary and I really doubt it in this situation as a helmet doesnt help at all against a significant twist of the neck which seems to have occured her - a helmet just prevent hit against the head up to a certain point and sliding damages....

Mitigation is the key factor. :coffee1:

A 'proper' helmet or wearing seat belts correctly may not avoid death but for survivors it may have helped and may have reduced the physical injuries.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

RE quality helmet

I should also add I not only wear a quality helmet, I also invested in some quality Draggin Cargo Pants and take my own gloves, every rider in Australia wear gloves yet I’ve never seen one in Thailand wearing them.

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Thanks for the video, to be honest right or wrong this move by the Thai guy is done regularly. It does look like the Thai guy was only watching the left side vehicle approaching from his left side. What bothers me is the French guy seem to intentionally or panic?  because he had time to slow down or avoid the bike but instead looks like he put the bike down and on his side it is then his bike made contact with the Thai biker. Before the video I thought the Thai guy might have cut in front of him not giving him enough time to slow or avoid thus a head on crash the video doesn't seem to show that.

R.I.P

The pavement looks slick. I would bet he hit the front brake, out of panic, and the bike came out from under him. It does appear to be a classic front brake lockup, on the video. If his bike was like so many others on Samui, it was not well maintained, and might have had poor tires, to compound all of this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cat handler said:

I should also add I not only wear a quality helmet, I also invested in some quality Draggin Cargo Pants and take my own gloves, every rider in Australia wear gloves yet I’ve never seen one in Thailand wearing them.

Indeed... I get looked at a little oddly with a Komine (Airflow) Jacket and Gloves *(which have a carbon-heel) - also a Shoei Neotec Helmet.... rider (driving a car for 15 years in Thailand) on a Yamaha Tricity with two front wheels and ABS... 

It's the safest I can be on a bike... without wearing full leathers which are simply too uncomfortable in this heat. The Jacket is air-flow mesh with Back, Chest, Shoulder and Elbow armour and it does get warm, but I don't ride (in BKK) without that or the gloves. 

Additionally, attitude is key... It seems that in this tragic accident the Frenchman (RIP) either did not see (was not looking ahead?) or predicted that the crossing motorcyclists would be out of his way before potential impact so he just carried on... Unfortunately, the crossing motorcyclist slowed, the Frenchman decided too late that he needed to brake and locked up his front brake... 

This really is a shame as 20/20 hindsight and watching this video shows exactly how avoidable this death is, its a lesson to us all. 

While the Thai probably legally wrong for crossing the path of traffic, we all know that's how people drive and ride here. Unfortunately, the Frenchman is 'dead right'...  Tragic... 

Be careful out there.... 

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

All the checkpoints do is clog traffic on the highways, and put alot of cash into the pockets of the toy police. It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference. 

Real men do what is necessary to save lives. Kids and highly underdeveloped people make promises, tell lies and engage in deflection.

Little P.  - Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking, alarming, and astonishing pace. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

In the world that I come from, respect has to be earned, and it is never freely given. The authorities here deserve little respect, as they do not earn it. The police care little for the people, do not engage in any sort of traffic safety, only show up after an accident has taken place, do not ever pull anyone over for reckless driving, threatening lives on the highway, speeding, or driving while drunk. Sure, they nab people at checkpoints. But, most of those checkpoints just slow up traffic on the highway, and rarely result in making the highways safer. So, unless and until they start doing their jobs, they will continue to get little respect from the public. You get what you earn in this life. Most cops here cannot be taken seriously, as they are not serious people, and treat their job as a private franchise, rarely engage in law enforcement, or protection of the public.

Cheers SpiderMike.............ya said a mouthful but its all true.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Not true at all,l I know on Thai visa the rule for many is Thais are wrong all the time, the French man did not fall for hitting the Thai motorcycle, but just a very short time before, for braking too much with his front brake. It is so clear looking at his front wheel skidding before the impact, I do not understand how everyone does not saw it clearly. Many motorcycles driver do not even know if the front brake is the right or the left one, on wet or even more on sandy roads like Samui the front brake must be used with great care. Apparently, the French man did not know and certainly did not do it. 

I believe you are correct. A high percentage of motorbike accidents happen, due to the driver not knowing how to brake properly. And it appears the pavement may have been wet. So, under those circumstances you use your front brake very little, and never jam onto it like he appears to have done. None of this excuses the Thai for riding carelessly. But, on Samui you must have eyes in the back of your head to survive. It is a jungle on the roads there. The level of caution used on that island is nearly non existent. 

• Like 2

Sadly, it is obvious from the video, that he had ample opportunity to avoid hitting the other bike.  There was plenty of room to pass behind it, on the left and his speed and obvious harsh braking was a major contributing factor.  I'm afraid that I cannot see any way that the other rider was at fault.  I guess if he hadn't been there is wouldn't have happened, but other than that, a highly avoidable accident.  Very unlucky though, that he hit his head, on most occasions the worst that would have happened was cuts, bruises and road rash.  RIP Mr Aunay.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I believe you are correct. A high percentage of motorbike accidents happen, due to the driver not knowing how to brake properly. And it appears the pavement may have been wet. So, under those circumstances you use your front brake very little, and never jam onto it like he appears to have done. None of this excuses the Thai for riding carelessly. But, on Samui you must have eyes in the back of your head to survive. It is a jungle on the roads there. The level of caution used on that island is nearly non existent. 

Hi spidermike , I have had all sorts of motorbikes all my life,  from an XJ 650, a TY trial bike, a motocross bike KTM, a scooter Gilera 180cc  2 stroke pure madness in town. And more.

Here in Samui where I stayed for a little more than five years, I have a PCX, ( and a car) and someone should offer me a bigger bike I would refuse it. Most of the time I drive not faster than 45km in town areas, and not more 60km otherwise, it is the only way to feel safe. I am almost sure in the same situation/same speed as the French man I would not have an accident, first of all with a motorbike one learn to avoid obstacles not only to brake in front of them.  Driving like I do in Samui, every single minute I am overtaken by young farangs driving must too fast for the island roads, personally, I almost do not overtake, stay on my left and follow the traffic flow. I just do not want to hurt myself. It's that simple!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ttrd said:

25  years of driving by using the rear break only...??...You can consider yourself extremely lucky. The breakes on a bike/motorbike should be used front/back - 80/20, i.e Your front break is Your main break. NEVER use ONLY rear break and ALWAYS break smoothly and progressively - This Clip will tel you why...;)

Nice, but I think that they also should have mentioned that if you use the front breaks on a motor bike, then you cannot steer. 

So implied, and possibly learnt about later on, ... when there is something in front of you, it is a trade off as to standing on it's nose, (Not a scooter, they do not stand on their noses, they just go down, as you can see)  and really reducing the speed with the hugely extra friction from the front wheel break, but only in a straight line, not being able to change course, ... so first reduce the speed, ... Then let go of the brakes in time, and then DO that, Dodge them !!! At the last moment, ... but Hopefully at a much lower speed.

• Like 2

Just now, Mark mark said:

Nice, but I think that they also should have mentioned that if you use the front breaks on a motor bike, then you cannot steer. 

So implied, and possibly learnt about later on, ... when there is something in front of you, it is a trade off as to standing on it's nose, (Not a scooter, they do not stand on their noses, they just go down, as you can see)  and really reducing the speed with the hugely extra friction from the front wheel break, but only in a straight line, not being able to change course, ... so first reduce the speed, ... Then let go of the brakes in time, and then DO that, Dodge them !!! At the last moment, ... but Hopefully at a much lower speed.

I used to ride a TZR, (Yakama) ... one of the first Exhaust valve 2 strokes !!! And Gee did it go !!!

(I Did 170 K down the Asia High way once, in the, No side roads section between the bridges, so you could see well ahead once, just do 120 past the servo, and then if the road is clear, (Enough) just go for it, as no more side roads, … but I had no fearing, so it started to take off !!! so I had to slow down, and well Ceased it up on the next attempt, … yes the step son had turned the injection oil feed down, to save money. ... My last speed attempt there back in the 90’s ???)

But it was heavy, and well Mine ? I do not know about all of them ? Was just so loose on the Rear end, when if the road was wet, you did not even use the rear brake at all, or you would be on your ass, .... Again. ...  I do not think that I said never use the back break though, ... as you say you should use the both, (Unless you are driving a suicide TZR Yamaha, and the road is wet)

Have you heard the Big Bikes out on the Highways during the very early hours of the Morning ? When the roads are clear ? ... Like they MUST have an arrangement with the Police, to just speed then, and be let off for it I think !!! ... As well, they all are really going by the sounds of it !!!

On 2/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, spidermike007 said:

I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason?

Part of the reason is the Thai people know no fear.  That's why the road related deaths are already over 2,000 so far this year.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The pavement looks slick. I would bet he hit the front brake, out of panic, and the bike came out from under him. It does appear to be a classic front brake lockup, on the video. If his bike was like so many others on Samui, it was not well maintained, and might have had poor tires, to compound all of this.

Assuming,  the Thai biker the way he pull out most likely looked to his right first and felt he had enough time to merge into the other lane thus his comment and the video shows why he only look to his left making sure he wasn't going to be struck.

Just before the French biker lay the bike down, you can see a bit the rear wheel move to the right or fish tailed which would indicate he hit the front brake first. Thereafter count near 2 second after the bike went to the side and made contact with the Thai biker then his head struck the pedal.  Look at the distant to the Frenchman left would also indicate he has clearance.

Needless to say R.I.P.  driving here is a risk every second.

Edited by thailand49

On 2/14/2018 at 11:13 PM, TheLobster said:

People die crossing the road regularly on Samui, it's <deleted> dangerous. This incident is unfortunate but not unusual.

If you ride, ride cautiously if you value your life.

I ride a bike and have done for 25 years but much slower on Samui, with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first.

15 hours ago, ttrd said:

25  years of driving by using the rear break only...??...You can consider yourself extremely lucky. The breakes on a bike/motorbike should be used front/back - 80/20, i.e Your front break is Your main break. NEVER use ONLY rear break and ALWAYS break smoothly and progressively - This Clip will tel you why...;)

Your video is for perfect conditions. Look at the comments around 3:08.

As English is not your first language I can understand why you misunderstood my post. I was referring to my riding style on Samui (Not on good roads in good conditions) and that I have tried to adapt (because of the oil/sand/grit/trash etc. on the roads) so that I don't hit the front brake hard first. In my previous post it implies that I still use the front brake with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first. 

I believe if this guy had hit his back brake first he would have had a chance to steer round the guy's bike because he would still have had control of his front wheel. Look at the video, he hit the front brake whilst trying to steer to the left to avoid the collision, he then lost the wheel and as a result slid off to the right.

Thank you for the advice, come over to Samui and I'll show what I mean.

Edited by TheLobster
Additional details

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And it appears the pavement may have been wet.

The road was however completely dry, and the is paving fine – fairly new tarmac, a few years old – I passed the spot both about an hour before the accident, and again after the accident at 6.45 pm, when the body was still at the middle of the road. It's just opposite the entrance to Grand Sea Discovery, between Soi 1 and Maenam Police Box (literally just in front); I pass that particular spot every day. 

As @PoorSucker mentioned, there has been many accidents at that part of the Ring Road – I instantly recall three, where I was there, I have even called for ambulance – also other fatal accidents happened at Soi 1 intersection plus/minus 100 meters.

7 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Your video is for perfect conditions. Look at the comments around 3:08.

As English is not your first language I can understand why you misunderstood my post. I was referring to my riding style on Samui (Not on good roads in good conditions) and that I have tried to adapt (because of the oil/sand/grit/trash etc. on the roads) so that I don't hit the front brake hard first. In my previous post it implies that I still use the front brake with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first. 

I believe if this guy had hit his back brake first he would have had a chance to steer round the guy's bike because he would still have had control of his front wheel. Look at the video, he hit the front brake whilst trying to steer to the left to avoid the collision, he then lost the wheel and as a result slid off to the right.

Thank you for the advice, come over to Samui and I'll show what I mean.

RE Your video is for perfect conditions

Its actually not as it doesnt matter what riding conditions you will meet as the physical laws will remain the same - you just adjust Your braking technic after the conditions still using both the front and rear brake in a combination.

RE - As English is not your first language I can understand why you misunderstood my post

I have not missunderstood Your post as you clearly underlined that you used mainly the rear brake as a first option and that is Dangerous.

READ - "I ride a bike and have done for 25 years but much slower on Samui, with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first."

If it is oily, greasy or rainy conditions its actually more important to use both front and rear brakes in a combination as if use only one the chance is higher to experience a Wheel lock and  during a Wheel Lock (rear) you will continue forward in the same speed as there are limited contact between the surface and the wheel (front) the bike will fell on one side and throw you off (as happened With the French guy).

Again, during dry conditions use of the brakes should be front/rear 80/20 and under wet and slippy conditions 50/50 - With other Words NEVER use just 1 brake and most important NEVER use the rear brake only...

RE I believe if this guy had hit his back brake first he would have had a chance to steer round the guy's bike because he would still have had control of his front wheel. Look at the video, he hit the front brake whilst trying to steer to the left to avoid the collision, he then lost the wheel and as a result slid off to the right.

For me its looks like he HIT the frontbrake to hard With not any help from the rear brake so the front Wheel looked and he lost the Control. If he had used the rear brake only he would still have hit the other person in this situasjon but With another angel as he would have continue straight so yes it would have still been an accident, but the outcome is unknown so it will be just loose speculations. What is important is that he used wrong braking technic without to combinate the front and the rear brakes which again increase the risks for accidents.

RE Thank you for the advice, come over to Samui and I'll show what I mean.

Thanks for the invitiation, but the physical laws also apply to Samui ...;)

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 11:59 PM, evadgib said:

The video shows quite clearly that the other bloke was looking entirely in the wrong direction as he crossed the deceased's lane :sad:

Well at the last moment, he was looking at the traffic he was merging into. He was mostly across the road.  Still, the onus in most countries would be on him to NOT cross into traffic.  The moving vehicles have the complete right of way. But, there are always lawyers.   Distances can be deceiving in the video, but it is not like the guy darted out in front of the French man.  Many ways the death could have been avoided.  It wasn't a particularly fast collision either.  The man got hit and  run over in the worst possible way.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 7:15 AM, ttrd said:

RE Your video is for perfect conditions

RE - As English is not your first language I can understand why you misunderstood my post

READ - "I ride a bike and have done for 25 years but much slower on Samui, with my hand on the back brake so by reaction I hit that first."

Again, during dry conditions use of the brakes should be front/rear 80/20 and under wet and slippy conditions 50/50 - With other Words NEVER use just 1 brake and most important NEVER use the rear brake only... I use both brakes

RE Thank you for the advice, come over to Samui and I'll show what I mean.

Thanks for the invitiation, but the physical laws also apply to Samui ...;)

555 Snipped. Thanks for the video of motorbike training in England, posted by a Norwegian! 

You just don't understand.

On 16/02/2018 at 2:25 AM, khunPer said:

As @PoorSucker mentioned, there has been many accidents at that part of the Ring Road – I instantly recall three, where I was there, I have even called for ambulance – also other fatal accidents happened at Soi 1 intersection plus/minus 100 meters.

It gets quite crowded around the entrance of Soi 1 and during rush hours you have no other chance than to push out. As a result it ends in complete carnage with motorbikes exiting and entering in all kind of ways. It always amazes me that there are not more bangs on that intersection, Does not help that you still have people driving on the main road at ridiculous speeds and even trying to overtake on that stretch which is complete ludicrous.

Putting up speed limits signs is a complete waste of money as long as nothing is enforced. While I would hate to end up in a situation like back in Europe where there is a copper with a speedgun behind every bend I would actually applaud the occasional police check just to have it in peoples mind that you cant get caught and that there will be some consequences. Sadly most people only learn when it hits their pockets. Speed fines could bring some much needed cash for road improvements (okay - I am getting carried away but at least this would be an incentive for the BIB as well...) and help to reduce at least some of the extreme road behaviour.

• Like 1