Thailand to finally stop using those annoying plastic seals on water bottles

webfact

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

A while back, discussing this same topic, I posted close-up photos of a popular brand where the only way to tell if it had been opened before was to snap it open.  Which is a little too late to return it if it had been refilled.

I may have also posted photos of a family of rats playing on top of an opened case of drinking water outside a local 8-12 or other store with a similar name. (Defamation laws, don't you know)

I'm going to miss those seals, which are a tiny percent of a percent of the waste problem here in Thailand.  Yet serve at least 2 very useful purposes.

You sound like a learned man. Here is a scientific fact recently disclosed. The Australian Govt's marine scientists said one of the reason the Great Barrier Reef is dying is because they estimate 11 BILLION plastic bags which originated from Thailand is part of the reason. They did DNA on the plastic to verify it's origin. Plus not counting sean animals eating the plastic as they think it's food,

Now statistically lets say every one in Thailand drinks just 2 bottles of water a day plus tourists then the daily litter cap wrapper, which ends up in drains and then the sea, well my quick calculation means that  (Thai population 38 million +9 million tourists) 47 million * 2 bottles = 94 million little plastic wrappers on caps EVERY DAY adds to the environmental damage and that's just from Thailand and not including the plastic bottles. So are you still going to miss those seals which you state is a tiny percent of the waste problem and  serve you two purposes that keep YOU safe and cosy!

8 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

You sound like a learned man. Here is a scientific fact recently disclosed. The Australian Govt's marine scientists said one of the reason the Great Barrier Reef is dying is because they estimate 11 BILLION plastic bags which originated from Thailand is part of the reason. They did DNA on the plastic to verify it's origin. Plus not counting sean animals eating the plastic as they think it's food,

Now statistically lets say every one in Thailand drinks just 2 bottles of water a day plus tourists then the daily litter cap wrapper, which ends up in drains and then the sea, well my quick calculation means that  (Thai population 38 million +9 million tourists) 47 million * 2 bottles = 94 million little plastic wrappers on caps EVERY DAY adds to the environmental damage and that's just from Thailand and not including the plastic bottles. So are you still going to miss those seals which you state is a tiny percent of the waste problem and  serve you two purposes that keep YOU safe and cosy!

I am totally agree with you, except when it comes to the number of 38m - it seems like you have seen just half of Thailand...:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd

1 minute ago, coulson said:

9,000,000 tourists per day? You should apply for work at TAT

Geeze ok lets totally take out the tourist number, whatever it is  in Thailand daily who would drink at least 4 bottles a day BUT the amount of plastic is still a HUGE AMOUNT killing life on this planet. Pedantic critics here. I am not typing a Thesis you know just stressing in basic maths terms the severe IMPACT on your future your children's future and their children's future OK?

45 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Here is a scientific fact recently disclosed. The Australian Govt's marine scientists said one of the reason the Great Barrier Reef is dying is because they estimate 11 BILLION plastic bags which originated from Thailand is part of the reason. They did DNA on the plastic to verify it's origin. Plus not counting ean animals eating the plastic as they think it's food,

So are you still going to miss those seals which you state is a tiny percent of the waste problem and  serve you two purposes that keep YOU safe and cosy!

What do plastic bags have to do with the water seals they're banning?

Thailand's problem isn't the amount of waste.  It's the lack of facilities to handle the waste.  Cutting back the 1/8 of a pound of plastic seals that I probably go through in a year isn't going to dent my carbon (or waste) footprint.  Or save the reefs.  But they may save me from ingesting rat pee or dodgy refilled tap water.  And for that, I'm not going to apologize.  Any more than I'd expect you to apologize for the tons of carbon spewed on your behalf and the gallons of oil you consumed flying to Thailand.  Which dwarfs my tiny little water bottle seals.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, tifino said:

well, this'll make it much easier for local business, in refilling recycled bottles, without needing to bother about defeating any tamperpoof

You really think people would do that? Then why is there no fake beer? There is no seal, the margin would be way higher and lids are easy to pop back on.

You are scaremongering.... just buy your stuff at Seven then.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

LOL I got that number from google search. Sorry it does not include illegal immigrants etc

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/thailand-population/

Population Thailand - 69 128 582

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/thailand-population/

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

What do plastic bags have to do with the water seals they're banning?

Thailand's problem isn't the amount of waste.  It's the lack of facilities to handle the waste.  Cutting back the 1/8 of a pound of plastic seals that I probably go through in a year isn't going to dent my carbon (or waste) footprint.  Or save the reefs.  But they may save me from ingesting rat pee or dodgy refilled tap water.  And for that, I'm not going to apologize.

No need to apologize and I never asked for one. You believe in what you want to believe to make sure your life is lengthened and yet at the same time not think about the rest of mankind or nature, That's your choice!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL, this time I need to say :sorry: as during mulitasking I manage to oversee your link...:whistling:

Edited by ttrd

5 minutes ago, wump said:

They don't. This is not the Philippines.

Capture.PNG.ffe024f3b1af05dd60756071a1872263.PNG

You ain't seen Isaan then.

The Thai  middle class may have restricted their breeding but the rural poor have merely cut it down from about 10 to to 3 or 4.

As none of them work they have to bring in Laotians and Cambodians to take their place.

Edited by Odysseus123

16 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

No need to apologize and I never asked for one. You believe in what you want to believe to make sure your life is lengthened and yet at the same time not think about the rest of mankind or nature, That's your choice!

I think that Rubicon was crossed when I decided to drink bottled water and not out of the tap.

• Like 1