Foreigner database to be ready in six months

webfact

Ready in 6 months.

Not a chance in hell! This is a real time networked solution. They can't even get the simple data entry form called 90 day report to work. I see it looking like election dates, so many postponements that it may never happen.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The Australian system is excellent. The e-visa is surely the way forward, though most countries, including the UK and USA, despite its ESTA system, seem to be not much further forward than Thailand.

But how could Thailand cope with such a system? No full page stickers in the passport? No stamps? Without the pile of photocopies Immigration requires every time we visit their recycled paper supply would dry up!

Note to self: sell Thai paper company shares.

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Well done. What's next? Will I soon get a big scarlet-red "F" stamped in my passport, too?

I just hope there also will be a single-platform database for Thai nationals, because I hear there occasionally are criminals among the local population as well. Some of them are even in cahoots with those dangerous foreigners.

Thais already have with the tabiaan baan. Thailand is like a communist country where everyone spies everyone.

17 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

This paranoid military "government" will cost Thailand a lot in tourist revenue if they keep on with this stupidity.

The accommodation recording requirement has been in place for many many years, well before the current government.

'paranoid'  - is it not the duty of all governments to set up / operate systems to try to prevent undesirable people from entering the country?

13 hours ago, cooked said:

Yes indeed, keeping criminals out will be really bad for Thailand.

I am all for keeping criminals out.

However, I am mightily irritated by the presumption all foreigners are criminals.

The reasoning in the article makes me shudder.

I do not really blame the government of the day, only perfecting what was implemented before.

However, this keeping foreigners "on a string" is rather too much, considering many Thais don't stay or live at their registered addresses.

And nobody gives a d**n.

17 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Finally getting rid of the TM6 arrival card.

At least it may extend the sleeping time in the plane With 5 Whole minutes and as well prevent the risk of be asked to leave the que at the checkpoint to fill it out - always look at the Bright side of life....:coffee1:

2 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

Does this actually mean No waiting in those disgusting long queues...after tiring long journeys??

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar/Misunderstanding!

In reality it will most likely lengthen the queues as the immigration officer now has to type in the mostly worthless tm 6 data.

5 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

Does this actually mean No waiting in those disgusting long queues...after tiring long journeys??

Please excuse spelling mistakes/Grammar/Misunderstanding!

Same long que, but it may get a little faster...;)

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Well done. What's next? Will I soon get a big scarlet-red "F" stamped in my passport, too?

I just hope there also will be a single-platform database for Thai nationals, because I hear there occasionally are criminals among the local population as well. Some of them are even in cahoots with those dangerous foreigners.

Nope, we will all have to embroider the red 'F' on our clothes so that we can be easily recognised for attending the 'adjustment bureau'. Now where I have seen that one before?

7 minutes ago, inThailand said:

In reality it will most likely lengthen the queues as the immigration officer now has to type in the mostly worthless tm 6 data.

NOT - just scanning Passport/fingerprints and as well stricten the hotel/guesthouse/landlord Reporting about Your arrival and departure. No need anymore for the worthless data which is not trustworty - hence the change...;) 

READ - As part of the new system, the Immigration Bureau will cancel the use of the Immigration 6 form and instead use e-passport data, Kongcheep said.

He said each immigration checkpoint would be equipped with identity-checking equipment, such as fingerprint readers and passport scanners, to enter information into the database.

At the same time, the Interior Ministry’s Provincial Administration Department must ensure that all hotels, apartments, guesthouses and other accommodation services keep and report records of foreigners using their services by informing the nearest immigration office or police station, which will in turn feed the data to the database.

8 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Nope, we will all have to embroider the red 'F' on our clothes so that we can be easily recognised for attending the 'adjustment bureau'. Now where I have seen that one before?

I can't think.

They'll have us all tied up filling in forms all day, probably using mein kemp to do it.

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wanna bet???

My only question is, can they find enough Windows 98 certified software engineers to help them get their platform off the ground?

My brother he have certificate...

An almost impossible task I would think. 

Thailand has numerous borders, 100,000's of people coming in and out every day. It is not somewhere like the UK / Australia that apart from airports and some ports there's no other entry points.  I can't see how the land borders will be able to implement such a system. Therefore, if it is only available at major airports like Suvarnabhumi, the whole thing will fail pretty quickly. 

The fact that foreigners with valid visas etc still cannot complete a 90 day report without having to traipse out to an immigration center means this idea cannot be implemented without serious changes. I would give it a 1% chance of being successful as I don't think they have the skills, the money or the knowledge to put something like this into place. 

One of the top 10 rules in the politician's handbook, all over the world, is :

When you're in trouble at home, one of the easiest ways to regain at least some popularity is to lash out at foreigners. Show your fellow countrymen that you're tough with these annoying aliens who are basically responsible for pretty much every single problem in the country.

2 minutes ago, SymS said:

I'm all for forms disappearing. Next in line should be TM.47!

It has in our neck of the woods - about a year ago. The IO just scans the barcode on the new yellow receipt in your passport.

No form filling, just sign the new printed receipt and it's done. Takes two minutes - well in Udon it does.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

I am all for keeping criminals out.

However, I am mightily irritated by the presumption all foreigners are criminals.

The reasoning in the article makes me shudder.

I do not really blame the government of the day, only perfecting what was implemented before.

However, this keeping foreigners "on a string" is rather too much, considering many Thais don't stay or live at their registered addresses.

And nobody gives a d**n.

Stop being a victim. 

This kind of thing will be present in every country over the next 10 years or so.  

I see no presumption that all Farangs are criminals, that is ridiculous.

Archived